How to exchange memories

Search This thread

yettie10ff

Oct 24, 2007
Sorry for the noob question - but does this mean that we need to run this script and then also have the SD card partitioned and use Link2SD to move apps to the new partition?

Can I just use the steps outlined here: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning to partition my SD card or is there something different about the L9 or ICS?

Thanks!

Btw - If I unmount/mount the SD card, then It shows my Inernal Storage at 29.71 GB and SD card at the same 29.71. If I leave it as is, it presumably correctly displays 29.71 for Internal and 1.8gb for SD Card.

This script only swaps the label 'sdcard' with 'external_sd'. The app storage is still in /data (2GB) area which is part of the internal 4GB storage. The leftover part of 4G is originally labeled as sdcard (1.8GB).

So when you run the script, only the 1.8GB portion of it is exchanged with the external sd card. The internal app storage area is not affected.

To gain more app storage space, use App2SD or Link2SD to move the apps to other memory area.

Here is my phone's set up with Link2SD and after the memory exchange. My 32G sd card is split into two partitions (28G, 4G) and they show up as SD card and SD card 2nd partition. The internal memory is now showing up as Ext. SD which shows the same free space as the internal memory.

My app storage was getting tight with only 200 MB leftover. So, I moved 700 MB of app storage from the internal memory to SD card 2nd Partition using Link2SD. Now I have 950 MB free in the internal memory.

What this memory exchange will allow is to be able to download an app with big data storage requirement (such as maps or games) since now the obb storage in sd card is much larger than the original sd card space. However, the app itself is still stored in internal memory.

Roker1

Jan 18, 2013
Sorry for the noob question - but does this mean that we need to run this script and then also have the SD card partitioned and use Link2SD to move apps to the new partition?

Can I just use the steps outlined here: http://xdaforums.com/wiki/SD_card_partitioning to partition my SD card or is there something different about the L9 or ICS?

Thanks!

Btw - If I unmount/mount the SD card, then It shows my Inernal Storage at 29.71 GB and SD card at the same 29.71. If I leave it as is, it presumably correctly displays 29.71 for Internal and 1.8gb for SD Card.

Link2sd is useless if you run this script, the apps you install go in internal memory that is 29.71 GB now, no partition needed

yettie10ff

Oct 24, 2007
Link2sd is useless if you run this script, the apps you install go in internal memory that is 29.71 GB now, no partition needed

Hmm - I'm confused then because it definitely said my internal storage was 29.71 with like 13GB available. However I was still getting insufficient memory errors when trying to download a simple app from the play store.

Thats why I thought csrow's post seemed to indicate there was still a necessity for link2sd.

Supamike88

Nov 7, 2010
If you have your memories exchanged its normal that you install your apps in external sd cause it became your internal sd

When I install apps from the Play Store, it still uses my actual internal memory. After I install an app, I go into settings, then storage and I have less memory in my "sd card"

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda app-developers app

neugenusis

Mar 9, 2011
Did you create the folder "external_sd" in your micro sd root?

Yes, I did, but that wasn't the problem. I finally got it working.

Had to download the script directly from the XDA phone app to make it work instead of copy and pasting the text from my PC notepad and then transfering to the phone. Don't know what's the difference but it works. Thanks

Reactions: slickytru5

csrow

Nov 19, 2007

I have to disagree.

1) Link2SD works fine with the memory exchanged.

2) Apps are installed in the internal memory which is part of system memory partition (about 2.2G). Even after the swap, the apps will always get installed in the internal memory.

Here is how the memory looks before the swap

Internal memory (4G) is split as two logical partitions - Internal memory(2.2G) and SD card (1.8G)
External SD - let's say you have a 16G sd card plugged in. When you add this card, it is mapped through SD card as /mnt/sdcard/external_sd.

So you have at start

internal = 2.2G
sdcard = 1.8G
external_sd = 16G

The confusing part is that the available space in the internal space is shared by both the internal memory and the SD card. Any time the internal memory is used (either by installing an app in the internal memory or taking a picture which gets stored in the SD card partition) both free memory shown for both logical partition will decrease.

So let's say you have added lot of apps (which goes into the internal memory) and you have only 10M left. At this point, sdcard will also show only 10M left.

internal = 10M
sdcard = 10M
external_sd = 16G

So, now you run the script. If it is done correctly, what you will see is

internal = 10M
sdcard = 16G
external_sd = 10M

So even though you has 16G in the sdcard space, you still can not install apps bigger than 10M because that's all the space that is left. In this case one way to gain more app install space is to use Link2SD.

There are other options but it gets more complicated. See this post for a proof of Link2SD working

Last edited:

Roker1

Jan 18, 2013
Ive installed Asphalt 7 and NFS Most Wanted (1,7 gb + 2 gb) without any problems, it means that link2sd is useless, isnt it?

Last edited:

csrow

Nov 19, 2007
Ive installed Asphalt 7 and NFS Most Wanted (1,7 gb + 2 gb) without any problems, it means that link2sd is useless, isnt it?

No, as I have mentioned in the other post, what Asphalt 7 and other games need is the obb space. By swapping original sd with external_sd, you are increasing /mnt/sdcard/Android/obb.

That is where the most of big memory space is needed for games. The app for the games are still getting installed in the internal memory space.

Uninstall the Asphalt 7 and write down the free memory amount in both internal memory (which is same as the free memory amount for external_sd after the swap) and the sd card. Then install the Asphalt 7 again and you will see both sd card and the external_sd memory space will decrease.

This is because while most of the game data gets deposited in the obb space of sd card, the app itself goes into app storage space (/data) which shares the free memory space of external_sd card.

When you are running out of app storage space, just doing the memory swap will not help.

Reactions: Roker1

Carter07

Nov 10, 2012
Is it normal that I have this partiton table with this script?

When I first installed this script I had ext-sd (29gb) swapped with sdcard (1.8gb), but now I see both ext-sd and sdcard point to my sd card (29gb).

Attachments

• 222222.jpg
    222222.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

carmine31280

Dec 18, 2012
Hi, this is a tutorial that explain how to change the internal sd with the external.
It is an idea of danitab78, i decided to create this to shy away from talking in other threads.
I think it solves the main problem of our device that has only 2,3 gb as internal sd.
It works on this script:

mount -o remount,rw /
mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:61 /mnt/sdcard
mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
chmod 777 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

The only thing to do is create a "external_sd" folder in external_sd
At first, you must have a file managar that works on rooted phones like "Root Explorer" and also "Script Manager - SManager" so you can bring the attached file into your phone, i suggest you to paste it in sys/etc. Now rename your .txt in .sh.
Open Script Manager with root permissions and find the .sh, tap on it, and if is asked how to open it, choos script/executable. In the next windows tap on "su", "boot","save" and finally "run".
If it doesnt give you any error it has worked!

Congratulations
All rights reserved to Danitab78

I did it for a better english, i hope :D

Will this work on LG l9 p10e

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forum Runner

Reactions: DarksiderzSK4G

carmine31280

Dec 18, 2012
After I did this this is the result but I got

ForumRunner_20130204_160951.jpg

When I download my sd card does not show any loss a space please help

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forum Runner

croakthedj

Oct 19, 2007
insufficient space error

I realize that I by running the script i am just changing the label. But Is there a fix or script that will allow me to install apps from the app store directly onto my 32gb card? This was the full reason I ran the script.

Would it be possible to clone the internal memory on to the microsd so the phone is running off the card rather then internal sd?

Reactions: yamils

Prof24

Oct 3, 2012
Can't get it to work - created the external_sd file on the root of my card, changed .txt to .sh on my PC then copied the .sh to the phone system - ran script app, su boot save and run and still got "mount not found." Tried the QRCode into the Script app, and it caused a shut down on the free version. What could be wrong

Edit 2/4/13: To be a bit more specific (if this will help): 1) created the external_sd file on my win 8 PC, 2) copied and altered the text to sh in notepad in / with WIn 8, but I had trouble rooting yesterday with Win 8 also - is that the problem or is it something else?

LG P769 10e rooted late last night

Last edited:

SovereignKnight

Jun 9, 2012
Can't get it to work - created the external_sd file on the root of my card, changed .txt to .sh on my PC then copied the .sh to the phone system - ran script app, su boot save and run and still got "mount not found." Tried the QRCode into the Script app, and it caused a shut down on the free version. What could be wrong

Edit 2/4/13: To be a bit more specific (if this will help): 1) created the external_sd file on my win 8 PC, 2) copied and altered the text to sh in notepad in / with WIn 8, but I had trouble rooting yesterday with Win 8 also - is that the problem or is it something else?

Did you make sure that you was able to change the extension correctly? By default Windows will hide the extension on files. When you attempt to rename something and the extension is hidden, all you have done is changed the name of the document and not the extension. To show the extension of files you'll have to go to the Control Panel then to File and Folder options, scroll down till you see a box that lets you uncheck hide file extensions. This should reveal .xxx extentions of files now. Also make sure you put the script into the /system/ect folder.

Reactions: Prof24

Roker1

Jan 18, 2013

Rename the file by the phone and click mount rw in root explorer

Prof24

Oct 3, 2012
Rename the file by the phone and click mount rw in root explorer

Knight and Roker, thanks to both - not using root explorer but a similar file where I can "unlock" it to paste files in the actual system folder - took me a little while to figure that out. Knight, I missed your post earlier, but obviously NOT putting it in the etc file is my issue right now. I had just pasted it to system but in reading your post (of course) and the first one, that may be my issue. As to the windows 8 thing I had looked that up and figured out how to actually change file extensions, so that wasn't it but thanks for the info!

.I'll give that a try again tonight - wondered if it sort of hung on NOT renaming the file on the phone. Do I need to leave the phone on mount rw while running the script or can I put the lock back?

Last edited:

Roker1

Jan 18, 2013
Knight and Roker, thanks to both - not using root explorer but a similar file where I can "unlock" it to paste files in the actual system folder - took me a little while to figure that out. Knight, I missed your post earlier, but obviously NOT putting it in the etc file is my issue right now. I had just pasted it to system but in reading your post (of course) and the first one, that may be my issue. As to the windows 8 thing I had looked that up and figured out how to actually change file extensions, so that wasn't it but thanks for the info!

.I'll give that a try again tonight - wondered if it sort of hung on NOT renaming the file on the phone. Do I need to leave the phone on mount rw while running the script or can I put the lock back?

you need to mount rw just to paste correctly the file, then you can use script manager or whatever you want to run the script

Prof24

Oct 3, 2012
OK put the file in system/etc - Still getting

exec sh 'system/etc/ext2intscript.sh'
etc/ext2intscript.sh'
useage: mount [-r] [-w] [o - options] [-t - type] device directory
mount: no such file or directory

Tried it with system mounted (unlocked) to read write, off to read, everything. Copied text file from computer to SD card, then changed name on the phone, figured out how to unlock to r/w and pasted, etc. In Script manager (with ads) I did su boot save run. Set up the file for external_sd folder on the SD card. Nothing yet. Anybody got ideas?

Does card speed matter? Bought just a simple SDHC 16 GB card for the phone - don't think it's "souped up" at all.

Sorry you're dealing with such a noob here...just no idea what could be wrong!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, this is a tutorial that explain how to change the internal sd with the external.
    It is an idea of danitab78, i decided to create this to shy away from talking in other threads.
    I think it solves the main problem of our device that has only 2,3 gb as internal sd.
    It works on this script:

ICS:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
    chmod 777 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

The only thing to do is create a "external_sd" folder in external_sd
    At first, you must have a file managar that works on rooted phones like "Root Explorer" and also "Script Manager - SManager" so you can bring the attached file into your phone, i suggest you to paste it in system/etc. Now rename your .txt in .sh.
    Open Script Manager with root permissions and find the .sh, tap on it, and if is asked how to open it, choos script/executable. In the next windows tap on "su", "boot","save" and finally "run".
    If it doesnt give you any error it has worked!

Congratulations
    All rights reserved to Danitab78

JELLYBEAN:

I copied kumas post, so thanks to him here and here

ROOT IS REQUIRED and Jelly Bean
    I made/copied (lol) this script by combining Artas182x and Mateo1111 scripts
    this is how you would save it as script (.sh file)
    Code:

#!/system/bin/sh

SU

busybox mount -o remount,rw /

busybox mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:61 /mnt/sdcard
    if busybox mount | busybox grep vold/179:61; then
    busybox mount -o bind /data/media /storage/external_SD
    busybox rm /storage/external_SD/external_sd
    busybox chmod -R 777 /storage/external_SD
    fi

Or just download the attachment and unzip to your sdcard and run with smanger or similar app (and set to boot at startup if you want)

Note:
    1.When using the camera and video recorder, change settings storage to internal memory (if you don't, you will have to reboot the phone to see your pic/vid you just took)

2.This script will allow you to install large size games (ex. Asphalt 7) but you will still need link2sd (to move apps to your external_SD)
    Now if you use the link2sd app, select the "create symbolic link"
    lol one more thing, you will need to partition your sdcard to use link2sd.

3.If y'all have busybox installed properly this script should work fine. In addition, this script is all set for init.d (but i have problems using this method). You will get an error for SU, because it's set for init.d. However, the script still works fine through a terminal.

Warning, using Android Tuner app can mess up your L9 and I'm not responsible if you do!
    Or if you don't want to use link2sd and partition your Sdcard, you can use Android Tuner However, this app is really advance and you should make a CWM backup (thanks to Artas182x) before messing with this app. It has a lot of options and you could mess the phone up.

I did it for a better english, i hope :D
    Should I save this as a script and run it like the first post says?
    ROOT IS REQUIRED and Jelly Bean
    I made/copied (lol) this script by combining Artas182x and Mateo1111 scripts
    this is how you would save it as script (.sh file)
    Code:
    #! /system/bin/sh
    mount -o remount,rw /

mount -t exfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:61 /mnt/sdcard
    if mount | grep vold/179:61; then
    mount -o bind /data/media /storage/external_SD
    chmod -R 777 /storage/external_SD
    fi

Or just download the attachment and unzip to your sdcard and run with smanger or similar app (and set to boot at startup if you want)

Note:
    1.When using the camera and video recorder, change settings storage to internal memory (if you don't, you will have to reboot the phone to see your pic/vid you just took)

2.This script will allow you to install large size games (ex. Asphalt 7) but you will still need link2sd (to move apps to your external_SD)
    Now if you use the link2sd app, select the "create symbolic link"
    lol one more thing, you will need to partition your sdcard to use link2sd.

Warning, using Android Tuner app can mess up your L9 and I'm not responsible if you do!
    Or if you don't want to use link2sd and partition your Sdcard, you can use Android Tuner However, this app is really advance and you should make a CWM backup (thanks to Artas182x) before messing with this app. It has a lot of options and you could mess the phone up.

Now go thank Artas182x and Mateo1111
    I'm using this script on JB:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/nqsi11txu2d7tb3/extsd2internalsd-jellybean.sh

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mount -o bind /data/media /storage/external_SD
    chmod 777 /storage/external_SD

Work's great :)
    Changes to the script

hey i made a little changes to the script, i removed the symbolic link to external_sd (no more mirrors) :D

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh

SU

busybox mount -o remount,rw /

busybox mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:61 /mnt/sdcard
    if busybox mount | busybox grep vold/179:61; then
    busybox mount -o bind /data/media /storage/external_SD
    busybox rm /storage/external_SD/external_sd
    busybox chmod -R 777 /storage/external_SD
    fi
    if y'all have busybox installed properly this script should work fine. In addition, this script is all set for init.d (but i have problems using this method).
    Note: you will get an error for SU, because it's set for init.d. However, the script still works fine through a terminal.
    Same as before, extract file, set for boot (if you want) or place file inside etc/init.d (if you want)
    it really is move data of the application..

but if you take a look on "/data/app/" the installed apps is still there and the "/sdcard/app" is empty
    it seems move everything including data of application (OBB files), and default location of application like whatsapp media now is in the "/sdcard/whatsapp"

is that normal or there would be any possible way to move "/data/app" to such as "/sdcard/app" ??

the script work only for swith internal sd card whit external.
    No need move apk in sdcard