Anyone noticed what kind of damage you are doing to the Prime?

Search This thread

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
Guess you missed the part about some retailers not giving refunds, or the owners are outside the return window.

[...]

please stop hating on those with poor quality devieces...We all want to love it like you...

I don't hate anyone.

ASUS already announced their return & refund service for Taiwan and UK.
I guess other countires will follow soon.

Ah and btw I think you knew about the GPS issue before the return window expired.
That window is there to fully test your device and to find out if you have any issues with it.

If you let that window pass by while knowing about the problems that's your fault, not ASUS'.

Reactions: demandarin

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Guess you missed the part about some retailers not giving refunds, or the owners are outside the return window.

so what left RMA, at owners expense?..or sell at a loss? How is that a solution. They just want solutions.

Everyone bought this tablet wanting to love it, and probably do love it, except for the problems they are having. People like you are blaming them? flaming them? telling to to suck it up?

oh and this works both ways:"The negative ones love to make others think they have a problem also"

Not everyone here can afford to go buy whatever the latest gadget is, they save to get the best they can afford and expect it to perform as advertised.

ASUS is trying to correct problems, but they can't solve problems they don't know about... forums allow people with similar problems to pool their complaints for a greater voice.

As we've seen, ASUS is admitting to faulty firmware for some issues, what else will they discover because people are voicing thier concerns

please stop hating on those with poor quality DEVICES...We all want to love it like you...

While I do agree with most of your Post, one thing I need to make clear, I'VE PERSONALLY NEVER TRIED TO MAKE OR CONVINCE PEOPLE WHO HAVE FAULTY DEVICES THAT ITS NOT. I'VE TRIED TO HELP ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. BUT YOU DO HAVE MOST COMPLAINERS TRYING TO CONVINCE US THAT ARE DEVICES ARE FAULTY ALSO. OR THAT WE NOT TESTING RIGHT TO GET SAME PISS POOR RESULTS. SO IT REALLY DOESNT GO BOTH WAYS AS THE COMPLAINERS ARE THE ONES TRYING TO RALLY OTHERS TO THINK THE SAME.

forgot to turn caps off ;)

Reactions: Diamondback

fuzzer

Jul 28, 2006
I'm somewhat over gps, i got my tomtom receiver, like i said i do love this tablet, but i want it to work... and i'm not talking specifically about me, just defending legitimate complaints...

i have BB silver rewards, so i got time to wait it out...

Ride525

Jan 15, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
[*]The Wifi issue: Well actually we do not know much about this.
ASUS told us it's not a hardware issue, rather an issue of specific batches with wrong firmware. We will see in the future what they can do here
I found out something much different when I talked with Asus.
I wrote two emails to folks at Asus and Asus called me yesterday, and I talked with them again today. There apparently IS a hardware issue with some of the first batch of Primes sent out. Some of them apparently have inferior WiFi-BT chips.

Asus offered to take a look at mine, and hopefully fix it. So I sent it yesterday, and it arrived at Asus today (just across town).

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I found out something much different when I talked with Asus.
I wrote two emails to folks at Asus and Asus called me yesterday, and I talked with them again today. There apparently IS a hardware issue with some of the first batch of Primes sent out. Some of them apparently have inferior WiFi-BT chips.

Asus offered to take a look at mine, and hopefully fix it. So I sent it yesterday, and it arrived at Asus today (just across town).

I heard this also. Plus the Op of the thread Good and Bad Primes mentioned that also. That's why Gary needs serial numbers from people with issues to cross check for this. He already got my Serial number. He got my email n phone number from me n said an engineer would be calling me sometime to check some details out on device n case I need to try a new firmware. my wireless is good but always room for improvement..lol. Plus some people are already getting a custom firmware that supposedly fixes some issues. A person made a thread on it just recently and root doesn't work on the new firmware.

New firmware some are getting from Asus Engineers is 9.4.2.9 This may be something to keep a close eye on.

Last edited:

AMoosa

Sep 24, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I agree with the OP. If users are experiencing issues, they should deal with these constructively - create and use ONE thread for each issue and report it to ASUS. Deal with Gary Keys and if you ain't happy, return it, or sell it. And then buy or don't buy another ASUS product again. Whatever.

Personally, I sold my SG Tab 10.1 3G to buy the TF Prime and am extremely happy with it. No WIFI issues, GPS is on a par with the SG Tab (not that I would use it anyway) and my dock is amazing! It is an ingenious bit of kit. I do have occasional screen corruption issues.

I have the choice of getting a refund or getting a FULL REFUND or an additional 6 months warranty - I am going with the latter. It's horses for courses. You make a choice and you deal with it. Move on and don't let the press blow things out of all proportion.

new2q9c

Jan 21, 2008
L.A. County
I have no sympathy for Asus at the moment. There were so many things wrong with the Prime. A lot of which should have not passed the 'design stage' yet alone be built and passed quality control.

Any engineer should know what hinders RF signal and what not. If they had done their research, they would know this. What really upsetting was that it passed their so called testing. It makes you wonder how they tested these things.

It all started with the pre-orders. They said that every pre-order will be fullfilled first before hitting B&Ms. We all know that did not happen. I ordered in November and I cancelled my order when I found one at Fry's. So many people still waiting for theirs while some are getting them without pre orders and at a discounted price even.

Then there is that charger issue. That thing was so poorly made it's not even funny. 3rd charge and it fell apart. I called Asus right away and was told to send it in (at my expense) and wait for them to assess it and then either fix it or give me a new one (so I will be without a charger until they send me one). IMHO, they should just send us a new one, I could have supplied them photos. It will not cost them too much to do this for their customers. I sent them an email last week because I have not received the email they said they were going to send me with instructions. No reply yet and it's been a week. I couldn't call because I am always at work so email was the best way but I guess that does not work with Asus.

Here's the kicker, ICS upgrade now would not let me tether to my phone. I didn't care about GPS. The weak wifi was not a real issue for me because my phone is always close by but now that I cannot tether then weak wifi might be an issue now. That was the first thing I tested when I got the tablet. Now I am past my 14 day return period and with a charger that is almost ready to quit on me and a tablet that cannot tether to my phone (part of my email to them was if they will allow the tethering again) and again, why would asus incapacitate a wifi only tablet like that? Don't they realize how much people rely on tethering?... and there's Asus not responding to any of the questions being asked... so tell me how else should we be voicing our frustrations?

Really, all these noise on the net (FB/Twitter) probably could have been prevented if Asus took charge sooner rather than later.

franky_402

Jul 23, 2010
chi , USA
I have no sympathy for Asus at the moment. There were so many things wrong with the Prime. A lot of which should have not passed the 'design stage' yet alone be built and passed quality control.

Here's the kicker, ICS upgrade now would not let me tether to my phone. I didn't care about GPS. The weak wifi was not a real issue for me because my phone is always close by but now that I cannot tether then weak wifi might be an issue now. That was the first thing I tested when I got the tablet. Now I am past my 14 day return period and with a charger that is almost ready to quit on me and a tablet that cannot tether to my phone (part of my email to them was if they will allow the tethering again) and again, why would asus incapacitate a wifi only tablet like that? Don't they realize how much people rely on tethering?...

I'm tethered to my phone as I write this... from what I understand ad-hoc connections aren't working, very very simple fix use a different tethering app that shares your internet in a very simple, easy, effective way...like emulating a router so any device with a wifi card can connect to it, seems like common sense to me...but who knows

I love my prime, but I will say it took me about all of ten minutes to notice its faults, the janitor working for Asus would have been able to tell, so the real question is how were they ignorant to such severe, extreme problems...my wifi works decently, no where near the strongest but it could be worse I suppose, GPS I don't care about, SN issue not sure what's causing that for people but I could understand that slipping through the cracks as that is a very minority problem... All in all this device should never have left the warehouse with wifi being weak/broken especially since its the only way the device can connect to the internet. I will not be returning my device unless it completely craps out or something and I'm about the farthest thing from a troll, I just believe in sharing my truths about my first tablet..

Sent from my rooted TF201

Last edited:

rdalev

Jan 1, 2012
Georgia
I actually agree with everything you said diamondback.
I personally love my prime, but i have a couple of issues here and there. Nothing that wont get fixed in the long run. I have a moan here and there, But i still show my support to a brilliant device.

And another thing i have never seen is a compnay actually showing their dedication to fixing the problems like asus. For god sake people they actually have a rep on here talking to people and providing inside information that actually could help. And again in garys posts people are attacking them there.

I really those people who are attacking asus shoulld either:
1. Suck it up and shut up and wait for a fix
2. Sell there device or take it back for a refund and shut up about it.

I know its not the best path, but you have to give a company some time for actually fix these issues. It doesnt happen over night, they ar'nt robots!

Rant over

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

its funny because i have a DHD, i got one of the bad batches and still using it this day. Although HTC's repair team didnt do anything when i sent it back in. 3 days before my warrenty ran out. But that was a GPS issue for me. And im not really that bothered about it to be fair.
I personally love my phone, ive modded it so many times now ive lost count.

Ok...............I'll wait for a fix for the GPS issue, since GPS is no longer listed on the spec sheet, looks like hell will freeze over first.
Can't return...............14 day BB return has expired !
So now what ?
Sell at less than I paid for it ?

I say Asus should:
1. Free shipping to and from to fix GPS issue, if there ever will be a fix
2. Rebate checks to all who purchased while, GPS was listed on the spec sheet
3. Discounts issued to same above on accessories or docks
4. Full refund including shipping from Asus

All 4 sound reasonable to me !

BostonDan2

Jan 13, 2012
Boston, MA
Asus - communicate please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Sorry, but I'm one of those that complained and returned the prime. I tried contacting Asus through e-mail and could not get a response. I'm continuing to watch this forum in hopes to become an Asus tablet customer again.

The real blame here is with Asus. Asus -fix the issues, or at least communicate your plan for fixing the issues, timeline, and state upfront how long you will offer a refund if the issues are not fixed. Stop using this forum as the sole avenue of support and provide a single page at www.asus.com for users to find out the issues and the progress being made toward addressing those issues. I'm tired of searching through posts. There needs to be a single page for what is going on at www.asus.com. Please also tell us why retailers are still not stocking this product and those that are receiving stock, only receive very small quantities. Just tell us what's going on. Can you imagine how those who are not aware of transformer prime forums are handling issues?

Also -stating that you are going to fix the issues through a firmware update doesn't work for me without a formal guarantee (something beyond a forum post - which I haven't seen). To keep this product, I needed the ability to return the product for a full refund if the firmware doesn't fix the issues. I'm not looking for a free upgrade to the TF7xx, just my money back if Asus fails to fix the issues. I wasn't willing to wait beyond the period where I would be unable to return the product to my retailer without the guarantee.

I'm still in the market for a tablet and not in a rush. If Asus is able to resolve the wifi issues and lockups, I will be an Asus customer again if something better doesn't come along first. By the way, I'm fine with the no GPS. Also, not sure if you ever planned on returning my support call, but there is no need until you resolve the issues.

As for the forum posters - Just because some users are happy with the lower wifi, no gps, etc... that doesn't mean that others should be satisfied. Attacking those that are raising these concerns, telling them to return the product and get off the forum is not going to help get this product fixed. Rather than attack them, how about joining them to pressure Asus to build better products. I really do hope Asus fixes this soon. I've been an Asus fan for years, but how the company is handling this is just terrible.

My two cents.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
While I do agree with most of your Post, one thing I need to make clear, I'VE PERSONALLY NEVER TRIED TO MAKE OR CONVINCE PEOPLE WHO HAVE FAULTY DEVICES THAT ITS NOT. I'VE TRIED TO HELP ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. BUT YOU DO HAVE MOST COMPLAINERS TRYING TO CONVINCE US THAT ARE DEVICES ARE FAULTY ALSO. OR THAT WE NOT TESTING RIGHT TO GET SAME PISS POOR RESULTS. SO IT REALLY DOESNT GO BOTH WAYS AS THE COMPLAINERS ARE THE ONES TRYING TO RALLY OTHERS TO THINK THE SAME.

forgot to turn caps off ;)

“It was important that we maintain our faith in the future. I have that faith in the future and we will undoubtedly triumph over this conspiracy,”

Bashar al-Assad
President of Syria
Jan. 11, 2012

xTRICKYxx

Jun 30, 2011
Jericho
www.youtube.com
Thanks for posting this. I love my Prime. I bought the original TF101 back in June, and I loved it as well. The Prime is such an amazing well-built piece of hardware and is backed by a company that actually supports its hardware and community. Sure, Asus isn't perfect; but it is obvious they are trying to improve.

The main issue with my Prime is the locking up issue with ICS. Wifi is perfectly fine as well. Sure the GPS is broken, but who cares?

The huge step forward Asus took from the TF101 to the TF201 are huge.

My biggest concern with my Prime and any mobile device I have is not its build quality or hardware; but its Operating System. Android and iOS just plain suck for productivity and multitasking. Sure, the OS's are built for consumption, but the Transformer series has the capability of getting real work done. This is why many people are looking to see if Windows 8 will be able to ported onto the Prime.

monkey10120

Jun 13, 2011
I think they should rip GPS out of tablets. I had never heard so much whining that their GPS does not work. Who the hell uses a tablet as a GPS anyway. If you do and there is wifi close it can use that to determine your location.

I can't stand how people said the prime sucked, when only their GPS did not work. Buy a damn Garmin because that is the only think you want a tablet for in the first place.
The prime is an amazing tablet.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

new2q9c

Jan 21, 2008
L.A. County
I'm tethered to my phone as I write this... from what I understand ad-hoc connections aren't working, very very simple fix use a different tethering app that shares your internet in a very simple, easy, effective way...like emulating a router so any device with a wifi card can connect to it, seems like common sense to me...but who knows

I have a winmo phone, TP2 that works before ICS. If you could tell me exactly how I can accomplish what you are saying, please help. If it's really that simple, I am sure you will be able to tell me how. Like I said, it works great with HC so why make it harder for people now?

vitalero

Dec 10, 2011
Please also tell us why retailers are still not stocking this product and those that are receiving stock, only receive very small quantities. Just tell us what's going on.

Does everyone realy forgot about this issue? does it looks normal for a large company like asus to send only 5 tablets a day to a diffrent retailer each week?
No one not even Amazon have it anymore, and you cant blame the retailers i know one which is a friend he wont lie to me like you think " they are afraid to get a product while taking the chance to be defected and deal with refunds" , they just dont recive it anymore.he would have kept me one but he doesnt have any.

Im still waiting to order my own prime, but cant get it, everytime i get closer they just put your order from in stock to pre-order waiting line. So even if i will have some issues with it and i should return it like everyone says when will i get it? who do i need to support? the guys who tell me to wait untill my refund period is over for waiting for a fix.

Really hoping to find one soon!

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
As for the forum posters - Just because some users are happy with the lower wifi, no gps, etc... that doesn't mean that others should be satisfied. Attacking those that are raising these concerns, telling them to return the product and get off the forum is not going to help get this product fixed. Rather than attack them, how about joining them to pressure Asus to build better products. I really do hope Asus fixes this soon. I've been an Asus fan for years, but how the company is handling this is just terrible.

Yes, ASUS needs to provide an option for people who bought the Prime prior to the GPS being recognized as an issue that won't be fixed. I'm not even sure if that point has been reached yet, because there are plenty of people buying the Prime who never visit XDA or any other forum or site that has covered the problem, or the ASUS Facebook page, and who get their information from retailer specs that still list the GPS.

That said, I think it's also fair to say:

1. For anyone who is aware of the GPS issue, concerned about it, and still within their return period, return it. Period. There's simply no reason to come here and complain so vehemently (and repeatedly, in many cases) about a well-known and already over-discussed problem, when you have the option of returning the thing. ASUS only owes us a product that meets its advertised capabilities--it's entirely within their rights to not fix the GPS and to market it going forward as a non-GPS device. To put it another way: none of us have a right to a device that does exactly what we want it to do, we only have a right to purchase or not purchase whatever devices manufacturers want to sell to us. Don't like the Prime's lack of full GPS performance? Fine. Buy something else.

2. It's not unreasonable to suggest that people who no longer own the Prime, or who elect not to return theirs, no longer pile onto existing threads or, worse, create new threads, about the same over-discussed problem. Perhaps going so far as asking them to leave isn't appropriate, but there are certainly some folks who seem hell-bent on ruining the forum for everyone else.

3. Those who are unhappy with their Prime's performance should stop telling the rest of us that we're wrong about being happy with ours. The Primes I've used (and returned for other, uncommon problems) had perfectly serviceable wifi--not as fast as others when measured via Speedtest, but perfectly fast enough for all of my use cases. I experience the wifi/BT issue with all of my devices to one extent or another, some better than and some worse than the Prime. So that's a non-issue as far as the Prime is concerned. And in my 8 months or so of using the original Transformer, I never once had an occasion to use it as a GPS device outside of simple location services, where the Prime is fine. So, just like wifi iPad 2 buyers, I couldn't care less about GPS performance. So stop telling me I'm wrong for feeling that way.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net
Exactly! The same damn ones always complaining. I can count them on my hand and I would call them out now but not going to. They know who they are. They always like each others post even though they don't know what the hell they talking about. Yet they show Prime n their signatures like they proud to own one..lmfao. One even has some fancy calligraphy of the Prime in sign yet always downing it. If I dislike something so much, you won't catch me being fake and still repping. it. Class Act Hypocrites.

You are really into personal flaming apparently. Please read this thread before you question my objective opinions of the device. Just because I am not an ASUS fanboy thinking TF201 is the best device of all time does not make my opinion less valid and certainly does not mean you can offend me and people like me who share my opinion of ASUS and the launch of Transformer Prime. Stop acting like an Android version of Apple Fanboi.

PrimeTimeBro

Dec 29, 2011
Newsflash Asus is huge (they build PCs and multiple computer components in case you didjt know)and has plenty of money this will not hurt them however it will let them know it's unacceptable and they will learn from their mistakes so I totally 100% disagree with you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,
    I really need to rant a little bit now.

This thread is for everyone creating all those "kill ASUS on facebook/twitter/blog sites" threads.

I really understand your angryness about the initial issues with the Prime, but has anyone of you guys ever thought about that you are doing huge damage to both ASUS and yourself with those hate campaigns?

Best example: "Lets spread information about minor software problems all over the web and its major blog sites"

This is ridicioulus guys... Seriously, ASUS really can't fix for example the serialnumber issue within 3 days...
    They need to find out what's wrong first. After that they need to fix the problem. After fixing the testing follows.
    All this needs time. And spreading rather unprofessional information all around the web won't speed this up at all.

But now to the main part of my rant: the damage being done to us, the owners of the Prime.

Do you guys really think you are doing anything good with those social attacks?
    In fact you are driving many people away from the Prime for reasons which are seriously non-issues.

Lets re-think about the issues and ASUS reactions:
    • GPS issue: ASUS confirmed, that this might be a hardware problem,
      it seems they are starting a bonus program for the ones not happy with the GPS (either 6 more months of warranty or a full refund)
      This is actually really embarassing for them, but I couldn't think of any better method to solve this issue
      (we are talking about realistic methods here, giving you a free TF700 is not realistic)

• The Wifi issue: Well actually we do not know much about this.
      ASUS told us it's not a hardware issue, rather an issue of specific batches with wrong firmware. We will see in the future what they can do here

• The Wifi/BT issue: As several members found out this is a real non-issue. Speed drops appear across all devices and platforms when using BT and Wifi together. Nothing really to complain about here

• Random lockups and reboots and unknown serial number issue: ASUS is aware of these problems, already got fixes and is testing these fixes right now.
      Nobody else tests fixes with real customers in a public forum. Thats' great!

Now lets talk about that damage I am always talking about:
    Here the facts:
    • Reporting minor software issue (GPS and Wifi aside here) definitely leads to a smaller customer base for the Prime

• Major news sites falsely reported the serial number problem as a hardware problem, leading to confused users which do not want to buy this tablet

• Smaller userbases always lead to less support, both from the company and also from our own developers.

• Less company support means that we will get less often and lower quality updates for our Prime. The device will be abandonned much faster than devices with large customer bases

• Less dev support means less innovating new features from our side, less custom ROMs, less custom kernels, in fact the smaller the userbase the faster the Prime development will go dead

• Think of the HTC HD2: the ultimate development phone. Its rather big userbase lead to incredible development. They have everything on that phone: Win 6.x, WP 7, Android 2.x and 4.x, real Linux... Smaller userbases ultimately lead to worse device development

I guess it's already too late, the damage being done by you and the major blog sites is irreparable.
    Non tech-focused customers who read Engadget won't get a Prime now.
    But these non-tech focused guys are the imporatn part of a customer base.
    We tech guys here are always a very minor part of a device's customer base.

Ah and by the way: If you buy a product directly after launch, you have to expect those kind of problems.
    I haven't seen any product launch in the last years which had not initial problems and issues. No matter if tablet or phones, HTC or Samsung...

ASUS is always one of the first (the first?) major companies, providing support on xda-developers. That is nothing usual for big companies like ASUS.
    Give them credit for this move.

I hope someone actually read that text...
    Srsly? Do you have like Stockholm-Syndrome?

Asus threw an unfinishied product on the market.
    They can't fix the SN issue in 3 days? Well, I didn't have such issues with my 4 other android devices. Maybe the should have been testing it.

Of course it is embarassing for Asus, but this is clearly not our fault. We fulfilled our part with odering and paying for a tablet. Rest is up to them.
    While I agree that a free TF700 or such things would be impossible, the GPS problem is clearly a sign there has be no/not enough testing.

All the problems you are stating would have been showing due to Asus product testing, again. This is completely THEIR fault and they have to deal with it now.

You think we need to stop reporting errors to make the prime look better and they can sell more?
    Dude, seriously. Do you buy a brand new car and when you have issues, you just shut up so the store can sell some more?

I'd really love to love my Prime, but with all those obvious mistakes Asus made, I can't.

The problem with what you are doing is: If you support Asus now, other companies will see it's ok to sell faulty products, and the next generation of tablets could have big issues as well.
    You need to say what's wrong for anybody to hear. Or would you like to buy a product and then find out later that it's full of bugs? But nobody tould you because it wouldn't be nice for the company?

Do you think Asus will decrease support if less people are bying it?
    Again, this wouldn't be nice, but it's completely in the hands of Asus.
    It's a big company and they shouldn't have trouble emplyoing a few guys for support. If not, the save money on the wrong thing. Don't make (Non-)Buyers responsible for this.

No matter what other companies do, bringing an untested product to the market is not acceptable and that is the feedback Asus is getting now.

And no, you don't have to expect those "kind of problems".
    When I buy a 600€-Tablet, I expect a full working one, and not in 3 months but NOW. I didn't have problems with my Optimus 2x or Iconia A500.

It's a big difference wether the company is fixing issues or improves the quality with updates.

And another point on Asus working with the community: It's nice they are on XDA, but... I remember there was...is... a locked and encrypted bootloader?
    Yeah, right. Asus completely locked the Prime and only promised to make an unlock tool after giant social network ****storms.
    Is this "working" with the community? Why didn't they look at HTC and provided an unlock tool from the beginning? Asus is only giving in because they are afraid of more bad attention. And that seems to be the only way for the community to be heard.

Just my 2c.
    pintness
    First, OP, this isn’t just about Asus. What you’re saying in your post is that to protect the image and viability of a product (any product), people should suck up what they’re handed and deal with problems quietly in a way that benefits the manufacturer. That way, the product’s image will be protected. That’s great for current owners looking to reinforce their purchase and to grow the user base, but what about people that haven’t yet purchased the product? Hide defects and issues from them so they can figure it out themselves? If Acer hoses the A700 launch, would you give the same advice to their board? This goes against the principles of XDA.

Back to the Prime. Many of the issues discussed here caused people to say the Prime wasn’t right for them and either returned them or passed. Would you deprive them of that knowledge beforehand to further your personal agenda? Did you sign the “unlock the bootloader” petition? If so, then you’re being somewhat hypocritical.

Manufacturers need to be held accountable for their decisions. In Asus’ case, the choice of a metal back cover, claiming “GPS” when there wasn’t, racing the Prime to market with inadequate testing, and the random QC issues were all self-inflicted. Following your guidance, if this was kept quiet and didn’t impact sales, what incentive would they have going forward to sweat the details and deliver high quality products starting with unit number one?

Any “damage done to the Prime” was done in meeting rooms in Taiwan long before anyone here had a Prime in their hands. And h/w and s/w aside, hopefully Asus learned from this that customers aren’t sheep and willing to accept what they’re given and in the future will provide more frequent, accurate, and consistent communication before and after they launch a product. It’s terrific that after the damage was done Gary Key’s been proactive in cleaning up the mess and Asus offered a six-month warranty extension. Let’s give them an “A” for that. They get an “F” for how they managed the launch, communication, some of their design choices, and initial QC. So, at best, they’ve earned a “C.” If they’re a learning organization, let’s see what they do with the TF700. If it’s a repeat of the Prime, then God help them. And if the TF700 is everything the Prime should have been, that’s what’s going to cause the problems you outlined to happen, not the *****ing.

My friends that bought (and returned) Prime’s are pissed. Anyone trying to get one before the holidays went through flaming hoops and invested a lot of time and energy that they won’t get back via a “refund.” They’ll never purchase an Asus product again and are telling everyone they know about their experience. So even if everyone on XDA follows your advice, the damage will continue long after the postings stop. And it should because that’s what keeps manufacturers in check.
    Dear Diamondback,

Damage to ASUS with those hate campaigns? I am sorry, but I am not going to speak well of a company that releases devices with as many problems that I have paid for. If I end up buying a broken device, I will be disappointed. They did not let these devices through proper quality control and we are suffering from it.

Serial number issue should have never happened. WiFi issue should have never happened. GPS should have never happened. These problems can be caught in quality control, but they didn't because they rushed the device to the market before holidays and did not test it long enough beforehand.

Yes, a lot of new devices have tech problems. Difference being that while I have been part of many tech launches as an early adopter in the past, I have never seen a launch that has this many critical problems and this amount of returned devices. Even I had to return a device because the keyboard just did not work and I've never had to do it before in my life.

As for damage to 'us', your points are irrelevant. Social media attacks are important, because they make ASUS more aware of these situations and react quicker. Let's be honest here, ASUS PR has been horrible throughout the Transformer Prime launch. It is only thanks to their customer support and engineers in this forum that we get some information out of ASUS.

I will not 'lie' and say that TF201 is a great device. It is really really good, but if you want to be sure and want a better all-round device then I will suggest people to get an iPad 2 and I will not tell my friends that this device does not have flaws just because this will increase ASUS sales and public image.

These social media attacks are important because ASUS will hopefully try to do better in the future, because a company cannot survive many of these clusterfraks in a row.

If ASUS will 'abandon the device' quicker because people are critical about it, then so be it. It will only make it clear to me not to buy ASUS products in the future, since it is exactly when there are problems, where support is needed. Not providing this will lose them even more customers in the future.

And trust me when I say this, Transformer Prime will never be a popular device in a way iPad, Galaxy Tab or Kindle Fire are popular. It will sell more than the original Transformer, but it will be very little known outside tech circles. Most of my friends don't even know that there is such a thing as TF101, let alone TF201.

How can ASUS change that? Not disappointing early adopters. It is the most crucial thing about products release, since early adopters are the most passionate customers. At the moment though many of us are with flawed screens, weak WiFi, non-existent GPS, devices without serial numbers and countless of other issues that will really hold us back from speaking well about the product we have paid a lot of money for.

ASUS can really change all that by letting devices actually go through quality control and testing. Many of the problems with Prime were detected in just the first days of use by us or the reviewers. ASUS can spare to delay the release by a week to provide additional testing for a fixed amount of devices.

Will they do it in the future? Who knows, unlikely. This device was rushed to the market to get as much sales as possible, ASUS did not care about us, the customers, they cared about their sales.

And this is why we have every right to be critical of ASUS. I hope they will do better in the future.
    Whoa...let's back up a little here.

First, a great deal of us have complained directly to Asus. Some of us have either contacted by email or by phone. The response we got back from Asus were... from what users report here,
    a.) unresponsive or b.) neglect issues and unhelpful. This led a lot of us to become upset, as most of us put down half a grand in US dollars or higher amount overseas or Canadian. That's just for the tablet.

Second, Asus may be one of the most unlucky companies to grace a tablet after the production of their first tablet faced similar scenarios. Under-produced, delays, B&M and Online retailers out of stock or cancel preorders. And not just cancel preorders immediately but 2 weeks to 3 weeks later. (Thanks for the $10, Amazon)

Third, every blog/hardware/android/gadget site wrote *wonderful* things about this tablet. The hype was on! Only 2 of those sites reported any slight of a problem while testing - and Anandtech went so far as to blame Asus for giving him the tablet <24 hours prior to release of the NDA. A faulty tablet, at that. But when did this occur?? Most of us had our primes already on pre-order.

Fourth, after the initial "ooh" and "aah" of the tablet ceased, the problems started *glaringly* popping up. No GPS worth a stick. Wifi range and transmission is extremely weak. BT and Wifi can't coexist together. Resets, Serial Number Unknown, Black lines and hazy screen, Screen not glued on properly, Proprietary cable loose and broken - all these reports started showing up. I'm sure I'm missing some. Notice I didn't mention Unlocked Bootloader because it's not in the hardware specs (although subwoofer is still listed as spec on dock http://www.walmart.com/ip/19590184?wmlspartner=AKGBlS8SPlM&sourceid=41075484931113395125 )

Today we can interpret from what Asus has stated that the UK and some EU countries that received the Prime don't suffer from the wifi range/BT/GPS issues - which means that they have different hardware in them giving them a better signal, or positioned differently.

To this day, we still don't have any confirmation (official) that such a statement exists concerning our poor wifi signal. Or BT/wifi. or GPS. and no, taking GPS off your specs does NOT solve the answer.

To the individuals who you all say are complaining too much and return the prime - trust me, Asus wants us to keep the prime. Most of us would be happy if the wifi range / connection was better, bt/wifi worked, gps worked, serial # was known, etc. It's hard for us to keep believing in a company that said ICS would be out before the holidays, etc. or that our previous TF101 docks would work for future tablets. Yeah, I believed that one too.

Now, for me, who is typing on an Asus 1005HE netbook, I can tell you that having invested quite a few dollars in Asus over the lifetime of computers (and all the mobos I have), one little mistake wouldn't bother me. But it hasn't been one little mistake. It hasn't even just been MY tablet. IT's been a tremendous amount of users tablets.

If we follow your suggestion OP, which I may be mistaken but it's to speak with Asus concerning our problems, what, should we also not flash our lights at anyone who is driving at night without lights? By complaining to the other sites, we are at least INFORMING others of the issue, since we are the "beta testers" and letting people know - hold off - let Asus get this right before you go dropping $500+ on something that you may entirely be disappointed in. We are doing Asus a SERVICE, by complaining to them - complaining to sites - the same way people write reviews about items on Amazon. We are giving Asus a chance to correct this - but it's hard to do when they release a 1920x1080 Tegra 3 with backplate completely different OHH and it's compatible with the new Prime Dock.

For what it's worth - I am holding on to my Prime, as I'm sure others are too - to see how Asus responds to our issues. Will they have us send it in and replace it with different hardware or a backplate? I certainly hope so. Will they give us a trade in for free towards the new 1080p tablet? I certainly hope not. I just want this damn thing fixed, as others do, and in the future I will certainly wait and see concerning future reviews whether it's worthy of my god damn hard earned money.
    And please don't tell me that websites are blaming Asus - no one wants to cross that line so they don't get the future tablets under an NDA and are able to review them first - Engadget even goes so far as to say Asus bent over backwards giving us updates to fix the wifi and gps, and then release ICS and it's still not good for us. Cowards! At least Anandtech did us service by warning us with as little time as he had about possible issues - he even stated he worried that users that received the first batches would receive the same crap wifi that he did - and for the most part, he was right (exceptions to users who received awesome Wifi and BT and GPS capabilities but don't understand how to check your connection to your router and if you drop from 54-19-5-1Mbs in ranges of 3, 12, 18,30 feet with no walls in between)

We arent hurting Asus, we aren't hurting ourselves. Perhaps next time, when Apple co-cospirator Walt Mossberg states "some say this is your copy of the Macbook Air" and Johnny S. laughs uneasily, we'll take that as "none of our products are quite ready to launch yet, please don't buy" and "most of our promises end up broken and if not we'll remove it from our specs". If we don't speak out, who will? I'd be a whole lot less remisce if this cost $249 instead of $499.

-Writing from my prime which is 6 feet from my router on channel 6 with wifi and BT on using Apple Bt Keyboard at connection of 5Mbs (should be 54 thanks). (edited just for sheets and goggles)