[Q] Car bluetooth dongle disconnects now that I have a Pebble watch

Search This thread

rebdogg

Mar 25, 2011
boston
I just recently bought a Pebble watch and now my bluetooth connection to my HTC audio dongle has been acting weird.

I have an NFC sticker in my car and when scanned it turns on bluetooth, connects to the bluetooth audio dongle, launches Google Play music, then plays the music.

Ever since I bought the the Pebble it goes through this process when the sticker is scanned, but then the phone disconnects from the dongle and music playback stops. I have a Bluetooth Auto Connect widget on my home screen and when pressed it quickly makes a connection again. I can always add that task to the end of the rest of the steps onto my NFC sticker to reconnect, but why is it disconnecting in the first place?

I'll also note that I'm not using my Pebble at the time, so it seems like it disconnects from the dongle and tries to search for the Pebble. Any ideas what's going on and why it would be disconnecting from the dongle after it clearly makes a connection?

Any help would be appreciated...this is getting super annoying.

matthelm

Jan 29, 2012
I just recently bought a Pebble watch and now my bluetooth connection to my HTC audio dongle has been acting weird.

I have an NFC sticker in my car and when scanned it turns on bluetooth, connects to the bluetooth audio dongle, launches Google Play music, then plays the music.

Ever since I bought the the Pebble it goes through this process when the sticker is scanned, but then the phone disconnects from the dongle and music playback stops. I have a Bluetooth Auto Connect widget on my home screen and when pressed it quickly makes a connection again. I can always add that task to the end of the rest of the steps onto my NFC sticker to reconnect, but why is it disconnecting in the first place?

I'll also note that I'm not using my Pebble at the time, so it seems like it disconnects from the dongle and tries to search for the Pebble. Any ideas what's going on and why it would be disconnecting from the dongle after it clearly makes a connection?

The reason it is doing this, is because the Pebble people won't get BTLE (Smart) working on Android, so it has to use the "old" Bluetooth, and it's a single point connect system (it can only connect to 1 device at a time, and switching takes a while to do, and mainly added for music/phone being 2 devices). If they would support Smart, that's a different "radio" (but same chip) and was design to switch VERY quickly and hook to many devices, so you could be connected to both the radio (old BT radio) and the watch (Smart radio) at the same time. This is why I still don't have a Pebble, and won't get one until they support Smart on Android.

My guess as to why it switches, is they're custom app is seeing the disconnect (the connect to the radio) from the pebble, and forcing a reconnect.

Reactions: rebdogg

rebdogg

Mar 25, 2011
boston
The reason it is doing this, is because the Pebble people won't get BTLE (Smart) working on Android, so it has to use the "old" Bluetooth, and it's a single point connect system (it can only connect to 1 device at a time, and switching takes a while to do, and mainly added for music/phone being 2 devices). If they would support Smart, that's a different "radio" (but same chip) and was design to switch VERY quickly and hook to many devices, so you could be connected to both the radio (old BT radio) and the watch (Smart radio) at the same time. This is why I still don't have a Pebble, and won't get one until they support Smart on Android.

My guess as to why it switches, is they're custom app is seeing the disconnect (the connect to the radio) from the pebble, and forcing a reconnect.

So will I be able to have the Pebble and my audio dongle connected at the same time? I'm at work and left the Pebble at home so can't experiment at the moment. It would be a shame if I can't, the main reason for getting the Pebble was to use it as a remote while the phone is connected to the dongle.

But when I do reconnect to the dongle it stays connected and works properly and doesn't disconnect. I'll just add on a pause in the NFC steps using tasker then add in another step to reconnect to the dongle, hopefully this will get it working back to "normal" again.

I didn't realize BTLE didn't work on Android with the Pebble. But what I did notice which is different from connecting to other bluetooth devices is when Pebble is connected to the phone the Bluetooth symbol on the notification bar doesn't have the two little triangles on either side of the B symbol such as when my dongle or other bluetooth devices I have are connected, yet the Pebble is still connected to the phone and works fine. I assumed it was because it was using BTLE.

Thanks for the info

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.