[Q] Battery drain issue

Search This thread

portmoon

Nov 16, 2010
I know there have been a lot of discussions about this but did anyone ever get to the bottom of the battery drain issue on the S3?

When I first got my S3 the battery life was great - would easily last over 12 hours. Now rarely gets me through a working day.

Here's what I have tried (none of these worked)

1. Replacing the battery
2. Replacing the handset completely
3. Replacing the SD card
4. Removing the SD card
5. Using a different SIM
6. Keeping the phone in flight mode when not using it
7. Turning off all automatic updates
8. Keeping screen brightness turned down low
9. Uninstalling all my apps
10. Factory resest (many times)
11. Downgrading back to Android 4.1.2 using these instructions - "Google: How to downgrade Galaxy S3 back to Android 4.1.2: tutorial" (I could not do this I just kept getting error messages)
12. Speaking to EE technical help (totally useless)
13. Speaking to Samsung help (completely clueless)
14. All the other tips on the Samsung website - Google "Cell Phones: How do I sustain my Android battery life?"
15. Turning off "Keep WiFi on during sleep"

Not sure what's left. Any ideas? Here's what I have;

Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (I9305)
Android version 4.3
Baseband version I9305XXUEMK1
Kernel Version 3.0.31-2051278
Build Number JSS15J.19305XXUEML5
SELinux Status Enforcing SEPF_GT-I9305_4.3_0021

My partner has a HTC One which has a great battery life. Don't think I'd buy another Samsung phone after this. Just wiating till my contract ends so I can switch to an HTC.

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
I know there have been a lot of discussions about this but did anyone ever get to the bottom of the battery drain issue on the S3?

When I first got my S3 the battery life was great - would easily last over 12 hours. Now rarely gets me through a working day.

1. Replacing the battery
3. Replacing the SD card
4. Removing the SD card
5. Using a different SIM
11. Downgrading back to Android 4.1.2 using these instructions - "Google: How to downgrade Galaxy S3 back to Android 4.1.2: tutorial" (I could not do this I just kept getting error messages)
14. All the other tips on the Samsung website - Google "Cell Phones: How do I sustain my Android battery life?"

Android version 4.3

My partner has a HTC One which has a great battery life. Don't think I'd buy another Samsung phone after this. Just wiating till my contract ends so I can switch to an HTC.

You can't downgrade directly, namely, you can't flash the old bootloader. Try to flash a stable rom, set up your google account, install little or no apps. Give it 48h to settle.

Oh! BTW, format both SDcard and internal storage. And install Better Battery Stats to find the wakelock. And give us a screenshot of your mediocre battery stats, and the screen on time.

muhib.al.karim

Jan 16, 2012

1. Replacing the battery
3. Replacing the SD card
4. Removing the SD card
5. Using a different SIM

Android version 4.3

I think this problem started for my cell phone after flashing android 4.3.. But I now using custom rom based on cm 11 but battery keeps draining... I get this wake lock msic_pm0_d or something like that...

anguslaw

Jan 14, 2007
Use smart radio function in xposed module -gravity box. Then install greenify, greenify all apps.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SamC95

Jun 26, 2014
i had the same problem for a while, the thing i did was buy a new monster micro-usb cable (i think it was this one: http://www.monsterproducts.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6922&id=10816) and then i let my battery drain to 0% then let the battery battery fully charge to 100%, calibrate the battery (look in play store for: battery calibrate) and then let it drain to 0% again, after that my problem was gone and with the monster cable my phone is fully charged in 1,5 hour, and it lasts a day with heavy use.

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
Gentlemen, screenshot of battery history and BBS wakelocks please.

No, not greenify.
No, not Wakelock detector.

BBS, with root, as a system app. It's free for your forum users, start using it!

anguslaw

Jan 14, 2007
Gentlemen, screenshot of battery history and BBS wakelocks please.

No, not greenify.
No, not Wakelock detector.

BBS, with root, as a system app. It's free for your forum users, start using it!

It is funny, BBS is total different app with greenify, why you ask people not to use greenify? BBS has different usage from greenify.

paffo

Mar 16, 2010
It is funny, BBS is total different app with greenify, why you ask people not to use greenify? BBS has different usage from greenify.

Because anguslaw first you have to know the disease, then choose the form of treatment.

portmoon

Nov 16, 2010
Battery drain solved

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I tried quite a lot of different things.

The thing that ha worked for me to instantly improve my battery life - I'm getting over two days out of it now has been installing "DS Battery Saver".

When I'm not using the phone, the battery life remains pretty much static.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quick fix for rubbish battery life.