[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 Stable: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
Using the Beta3 Pre3. Was using the test kernel before with Beta2. On Beta2 with the test kernel 100mhz worked even with 1200mhz enabled. On Beta3 Pre3 once 1200mhz is enabled 100mhz is no longer used.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

epicnoob66

Mar 1, 2012
When using maps or nav, I don't remember which, it would lock up my gps and data. Un-installing and re-installing maps fixed this problem. Maybe he has an issue like this???

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

AproSamurai

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
github.com
Using the Beta3 Pre3. Was using the test kernel before with Beta2. On Beta2 with the test kernel 100mhz worked even with 1200mhz enabled. On Beta3 Pre3 once 1200mhz is enabled 100mhz is no longer used.

Hrmmm, well nothing OC wise was changed(I'd know because I'd be complaining about losing my day to development lol), however that savings modification was added in, that could possibly be the culprit? Or just some random occurrence. Though, I don't doubt that it's continuing to make 200 Mhz the minimum.

epicnoob66

Mar 1, 2012

Do you have your oc set on boot? What are u using to manage CPU?

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

amateurhack

Sep 25, 2011
My experience was that after reinstalling, nav worked, but not consistently.

When using maps or nav, I don't remember which, it would lock up my gps and data. Un-installing and re-installing maps fixed this problem. Maybe he has an issue like this???

DarkIceCream

Mar 9, 2012
The only problems I've been having lately are:

1.Random reboots the start from the splash screen

2.Car mode activating by itself!!!!!! all the time!! RQ

3.Speaker Phone is really choppy

4.Apps crashing alot more

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
Do you have your oc set on boot? What are u using to manage CPU?

It set on boot. I use the built in performance settings with the stock kernel. I already had it set to these settings and 100 worked fine with 1200 being max. Once I flashed the new test build the settings stayed but 200 became the minimum. Changing it back to 100 does nothing.

Glewis21

Jan 29, 2011
PLEASE use SEARCH or even Google. This has been mentioned at least 30 times before. I hate to start deleting these redundant posts of people who will not search or read a little about the software they are putting on their phone. Check the split messages box for 160 characters in whatever messaging app you are using.

Its not a joke I was just askin I seen the fix thank u and read on the eariler post and I find out why it does this and again thank u

epicnoob66

Mar 1, 2012
It set on boot. I use the built in performance settings with the stock kernel. I already had it set to these settings and 100 worked fine with 1200 being max. Once I flashed the new test build the settings stayed but 200 became the minimum. Changing it back to 100 does nothing.

Give this a shot
Un check set on boot move back to 100 min. IN perfomance setting. Reboot.
Dl voltage control and setup the way you want it. Save as init.d
Remove VC app or freeze apk. Reboot
This works for me....might work for you idk.

jmuru

Nov 1, 2011
Los Angeles
What are some battery lives people are seeing? Personally, I've found almost no reason to clamor over ICS. The pulldown curtain I have on Gingerbread right now with a scrolling row of various toggles is far more useful. Samsung's integrated slide-your-finger-along-the-top brightness adjustment is incredibly useful. I'm still not sure how I feel about the task manager option, it feels limited and offers no ram/cpu usage data and feels more like a knockoff of the IOS task manager rather than something useful. The only thing I've found significantly more intuitive/useful is the system settings.

These are my opinions, no need to argue, nothing against CM9.

But it is CM9 that has brought ICS to our phone, and I have to feel that a lot of deep settings and drivers have not been fine-tuned to our phone to maximize performance and battery the way Samsung intended. After popping in a fresh battery, I watched my phone lose 50% in 10 hours without my even touching it. Battery stats indicate that the phone was not waking up, ruling that out as a factor. Fine tweaking adjustments to cpu and ram yielded similar, if not worse, results. What kind of battery lives are other people seeing?

If you know my roms, you know I strive for battery life. My phone is a tool, and to be a useful tool it needs to have power. :D

Hey Random,

Keeping in mind that battery lives don't really translate between users, I will say that I get about 10 hours on CM9 vs. about 16 on Thunderhawk 3 (haven't tried Thunderhawk 4 yet). The reason I keep CM9 as my current daily has to do with my work shift lasting less than 10 hours and that, aesthetically, I prefer ICS: Roboto is a beautiful font and there's very few negatives to the ICS experience. If I needed more time off the charger, I'd certainly recommend Thunderhawk 4.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
one thing to mention is that its not just the user its the battery in the phone so one person even doing the same things could have different battery life

battery life isnt as good as when I was using MidnightROM 5.5 for about a year, it was 2.2 EC05 EXT4 Journaling ON - my battery life was great, like about 6 hours of talk time before it would be at the 15% mark and warn me

now battery life is also great but not so much as before

I will put it like this, when I was on "stock" 2.2 battery life was total crap that stupid CIQ and others sucking up battery like none other and I would have to charge my phone near the end of the day or it could be dead before I got home - then came midnightrom and it was great, battery life went right up, before I would almost always be getting home just as my phone would beep telling me 15% battery left - with midnightrom that never happened unless I really used it lots more then usual

now I am again seeing the 15% (or 14% as it is in this rom) warning a few hours after I get home and my phone is just sitting next to me doing nothing just not plugged in

talk time is lower I am estimating around 4 hours 5 max but havent used it for long enough to see - before I could see my battery usage and phone calls was always second to display except for a few times when all I did the whole day was talk on the phone and I saw a total up time of 8 hours 33 min before the 15% mark while most all of that was the phone usage at around 6 hours and the screen being the rest mostly - the reason I say 4-5 hours max is because I have talked for 4 hours and it was at the 15% mark but I had also used my phone for internet use also where as before I was just making calls

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
If ANYTHING is synced, standby battery time is crap. After I took all my auto updating stuff off I was getting 20+ hours with 3hrs of screen on time with an epic touch battery.

Sent from my Nexus Slide 4G

vita10gy

May 20, 2010
If ANYTHING is synced, standby battery time is crap. After I took all my auto updating stuff off I was getting 20+ hours with 3hrs of screen on time with an epic touch battery.

I've found that if I turn off wifi, put it in airplane mode, then turn it off completely, the battery life is nearly infinite.

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
Yeah but its always chance that it won't go back to sleep after syncing. Some days I would make it to the charger at night and others wouldn't even come close. Now its consistent, but that's just me.

RandomKing

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2011
Random Land
randomkings.wordpress.com

one thing to mention is that its not just the user its the battery in the phone so one person even doing the same things could have different battery life

Hey Random,

Keeping in mind that battery lives don't really translate between users, I will say that I get about 10 hours on CM9 vs. about 16 on Thunderhawk 3 (haven't tried Thunderhawk 4 yet). The reason I keep CM9 as my current daily has to do with my work shift lasting less than 10 hours and that, aesthetically, I prefer ICS: Roboto is a beautiful font and there's very few negatives to the ICS experience. If I needed more time off the charger, I'd certainly recommend Thunderhawk 4.

I'm well aware of the variances involved. I've extensively tested the issue on three epics for over a year now. This is why I asked and appreciate multiple viewpoints on the matter.

However, despite additional input and my best tweaking, battery life thus far is the primary negative of any ICS for the Epic. Testing appears nearly identical on CM9 and AOKP and has proven unusable for me, personally. My previous Symbian Nokia used to achieve roughly 5 days with decently heavy texting, low calling, and rare internet browsing. Android is a much more intensive system on a much more impressive hardware set. That said, my opinion is that A phone should be able to remain in standby (on, unused, ready to take a call) for at least 48 hours to be considered a useful phone. But without once turning on the screen, CM9 can kill mine in under 20 hours.

I'm looking forward to improvement! :D

Reactions: bchalker

vita10gy

May 20, 2010
I'm well aware of the variances involved. I've extensively tested the issue on three epics for over a year now. This is why I asked and appreciate multiple viewpoints on the matter.

However, despite additional input and my best tweaking, battery life thus far is the primary negative of any ICS for the Epic. Testing appears nearly identical on CM9 and AOKP and has proven unusable for me, personally. My previous Symbian Nokia used to achieve roughly 5 days with decently heavy texting, low calling, and rare internet browsing. Android is a much more intensive system on a much more impressive hardware set. That said, my opinion is that A phone should be able to remain in standby (on, unused, ready to take a call) for at least 48 hours to be considered a useful phone. But without once turning on the screen, CM9 can kill mine in under 20 hours.

I'm looking forward to improvement! :D

My older phone lasted forever too, but it didn't have an always on internet connection, to name one difference.

The only difference between checking your gmail with the screen on, and waiting to be told you have a new email, is the screen is on. There's really no such thing as "not using" an android phone, unless you turn off just about everything that makes paying for one, and the service, worthwhile.

To each his own, and we all obviously have our own priorities, but I don't really understand the "I should be able to get lost in the wilderness for a fortnight and come home with 40% battery left", or turning off essentially everything that makes these a "smart" phone, attitude. Drop $4 on a few extra micro usb cables, and plug the damn thing in once in a while. :p

Reactions: Silpher
Shadow did not change anything 3g related so it just seems to be placebo/luck

It's interesting but Shadow has fixed the problem with 3 different versions of CM. Maybe my phone needs a psychiatrist ;-)

Sent from my SPH D700 using XDA App
Cyanogen Mod Beta 2, Shadow Kernel, EL30. I like my Ice Cream Sandwich!

bpdfs

Dec 23, 2011
When I click on gapps to download, it just takes me to a google page??? what am i missing?

Top Liked Posts