Are all One S models going to have the S3 chip now?!?!

Search This thread

cougzzz

Nov 22, 2010
It's very simple. The One S has the Snapdragon S4 MSM8260A (except for the unlucky people who wind up with the S3 8260), regardless of where it is sold. It does not have the 8960, that is only for the LTE One X. Quadrant is incorrect (they might be referring to all S4-based chips as 8960).

Is there a way to check on the phone to verify if its 8260A?

SageKing

Nov 23, 2010
Landshut
Hi there,

this is what i have found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

Scoll down to the S4 MSM8260a there is the One S listed. It also says that the cpu frequence is between 1.5 - 1,7 GHz. I dont actually think HTC is going to build in the S3. Thats the HTC Ville C with the overclocked S3 MSM8260. This is only shipped in the Asian Areas like Taiwan IMO.

Correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sneakyghost

TPA_Droid

Jul 20, 2010
Hi there,

this is what i have found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

Scoll down to the S4 MSM8260a there is the One S listed. It also says that the cpu frequence is between 1.5 - 1,7 GHz. I dont actually think HTC is going to build in the S3. Thats the HTC Ville C with the overclocked S3 MSM8260. This is only shipped in the Asian Areas like Taiwan IMO.

Correct me if im wrong.

Is there any way to tell at a store (tmobile, best buy, costco, etc...) by looking at printed info on the box if it has the s3 or s4?

SageKing

Nov 23, 2010
Landshut
Is there any way to tell at a store (tmobile, best buy, costco, etc...) by looking at printed info on the box if it has the s3 or s4?

Actually i really dont know. The only way i can imagine is to ask directly in the shop, if it is a S3 or a S4 SoC.

But i think if the One S is released in your country already you have a good chance to get the S4.

Last edited:

hon kin

Jan 9, 2011
Seems like 1.7GHz overclocked version is Z560e and normal S4 Krait version is Z520e?

genez81

Jan 12, 2009
Brescia
if you want to check which version you have just download SetCPU from Play Store.
then go to "Info" tab -> "Device"

Write down the "Board:" value then go check @wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)

mine says MSM8960 wich is a Snapdragon S4

easy

Reactions: tedrogers61

hon kin

Jan 9, 2011
BTW, what is the last confirm serial number that has S4 Krait? Because i dont want to open a new handset and try my luck by testing each one...

meridiusuk

Jun 10, 2012
Hi all

Nice to meet you all as this been my first post.

Just a quick question as i am thinking of getting a HTC one s as i live in the uk and wanted to know if its safe to get one of these because of the recesnt news about a lower quality version of the screen and the of a S3 chip.

Will the uk ever get this version or will it be safe ? or will the uk keep getting the S4 version with the super almond screen.

Thanks for any help of info in advance.

Last edited:

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
Hi all

Nice to meet you all as this been my first post.

Just a quick question as i am thinking of getting a HTC one s as i live in the uk and wanted to know if its safe to get one of these because of the recesnt news about a lower quality version of the screen and the of a S3 chip.

Will the uk ever get this version or will it be safe ? or will the uk keep getting the S4 version with the super almond screen.

Thanks for any help of info in advance.

Don't think UK will keep getting s4 version, since HTC UK website starts to say 1.5-1.7ghz of the CPU rather than just 1.5.
However, it takes time to introduce new s3 version and there should be still some s4 stock left so it may be safe to get an one s now.
After all, you can mention this to your store either it's an operator or independent seller like CPW or Phones4u, if they don't have s4, refuse to buy. Simple.
To know which one is which one, check box to see the model number, z520 is s4, z560, s3, avoid. Or, see the CPU speed, should be 1.5g not 1.7g.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

Reactions: meridiusuk

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Just noticed this on the HTC UK website:

24vqgyg.jpg

Discuss...

God Damn it. I'm looking to upgrade from my DS. But if it has the bloody S3 chip, it's a no go for me :mad:

Desire S • Fallout V2.0.0 • xda premium

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
God Damn it. I'm looking to upgrade from my DS. But if it has the bloody S3 chip, it's a no go for me :mad:

Desire S • Fallout V2.0.0 • xda premium

Sup oly, I'm actually gonna go back to CPW today and replace mine after chipping. If I am lucky, they may have models with the slightly redesigned body (SH24T or later), because I've seen a few pics of that posted. Either all of them are redesigned from that batch onwards, or those pics I saw were just flukes. Either way, just look out for the model number and CPU speed and serial number on the box to make sure you get S4. The sooner the better.

zukа

Dec 12, 2010
Hi guys - I'm looking at buying a One S online. With this batch number, SH24T, what would I ask the website to check? What's that number actually referred to and where could they find it?

Thanks for reading

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Hi guys - I'm looking at buying a One S online. With this batch number, SH24T, what would I ask the website to check? What's that number actually referred to and where could they find it?

Thanks for reading

It's the serial number, it's on the back of the box. First six characters should be SH24TW actually, just to be safe.

This is just a theory of mine based on what I've seen around forums. Can't guarantee anything, so double check the model number is Z520e and the CPU speed is 1.5 GHz, you will definitely get the S4 chip in this case but no guarantee on redesign.

opiswahn

Jul 6, 2009
What the hell... this surely sux... I was about to RMA my phome because of the homebutton-switching problem, but what if i get a phone with an S3 back instead of an S4?? That's not what i payed for. On the german site they also say clockspeeds 1.5~1.7Ghz...
Seems to be the global strategy now... What a poor move from HTC...

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
What the hell... this surely sux... I was about to RMA my phome because of the homebutton-switching problem, but what if i get a phone with an S3 back instead of an S4?? That's not what i payed for. On the german site they also say clockspeeds 1.5~1.7Ghz...

I think if you have already gotten the phone with s4, and want to send it back for various reasons, mention explicitly the same model with s4 and super amoled.
It is different from buying a new one, in that case it's down to your luck but sending back, you are definitely in the position asking for the same spec you bought.
Effectively s3 version is a different phone cos it has different model number. You wouldn't expect sending one s away and getting desire back would you?
So just demand!

louis.b

Feb 17, 2012
Sydney

Qualcom is the chip producer and they have been having troubles meeting the demand for the new S4 chip for a while and this piece of news was published ages ago.

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
Lol if you are going to RMA your phone for the Home Button Issue make a statement here first: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1679649&page=4

[EDIT]
Just seen you posted there already...

And if you get an S3 version from RMA, it might even fix your Button Issue as there is that theory saying that the Button malfunctions due to radio interference from the Radio Chip sitting right below it. So if the Board layout changes with the SoC it might shift the Radio Chip away from the Button? Funny thought. Probably Bullcrap but worth a smile anyway :)

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
Lol if you are going to RMA your phone for the Home Button Issue make a statement here first: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1679649&page=4

[EDIT]
Just seen you posted there already...

And if you get an S3 version from RMA, it might even fix your Button Issue as there is that theory saying that the Button malfunctions due to radio interference from the Radio Chip sitting right below it. So if the Board layout changes with the SoC it might shift the Radio Chip away from the Button? Funny thought. Probably Bullcrap but worth a smile anyway :)

Yes in theory it could work, But to be honest, Im a little fed up with HTC & Vodafone, ever since i got HTC with vodafone ive had nothing but trouble, However Ive had HTC's on other networks and been fine.

So if they send me the S3 version, Surely i can refuse to accept it and/or get the contract terminated as that is not the version i signed up for.

To be honest the S4 chip was one of the big USP's for me. Although S3 is a good chip, Its not what im paying for / nor agreed to.

Reactions: Sneakyghost

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Apparently HTC support says the S3 version will be released globally.

Hooray for the new One S: Handicapped Sibling Edition.
    Considering that S4 is faster than their flagship quad core and even GS3, this might be happening for 2 reasons:

1. HTC wants to increase One X sale, and they do not want some other model to steal the thunder.

2. Samsung purchased all S4s for themselves, or bribed the company making them. Something similar happened in the past - they used the fact they owned the company making amoleds in Desire vs Galaxy battle. So stopped shipping them and turned the tables in favor of their Galaxy S. That's how I got my SGS, they had no Desires in stock.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium
    How do I check if ive got the s3 chip or the s4 chip? I bought the phone in UK 2weeks after it came out but I just want to be sure

You should get s4, since HTC just changed to s3 recently.
    I am in UK, bought the phone mid of April, and exchanged one for the tempered sign reason. Still s4.
    So yours should be fine.
    Check yourself, download benchmark software antutu or quadrant from play store, they show the detail of the chip.

I can't specifically see that I've got snapdragon s4 but its 384-1512mhz I think that's s4 chip right ?

Have you downloaded quadrant from play store? There is system information option which shows chip detail. It should show MSM8960 as you got international version from UK as I did, it means s4.
    Yes, 384-1512mhz could mean s4 cos s3 will be clocked upto 1.7ghz while s4 only gets to 1.5g. You are fine mate, I am 99.999% sure :)

Ok so I have found the slip from my retail packaging. My serial number is SH23WW and I have experienced minor chipping in about 3 weeks. At least I know I can see the serial number without opening the box when I go the store, and the phone store next to me has the HTC One S as the deal of the week so I am assuming they have new stock. Hope so anyway.

One more thing I want to check, the package lists my model as: Z520e, and CPU: 1.5 GHz dual core.

Maybe the S3 version has a different model number.

Not sure about model number, anyone know if LCD version desire has different model number from amoled version one? HTC should follow the same pattern.
    1.5G should indicate s4.