Voice commands produce prompt to: Download high quality voice file

Search This thread
G

GuestK00445

The prompt message is:

A high quality voice file will be downloaded for the English (United States) language. To hear a high quality TTS voice, download a high quality voice file.

Upon clicking OK, I'm redirected to the Samsung store.

The thing is, to circumvent this, I've installed Google TTS engine. So I'm no longer using the Samsung's one. So why am I still being harassed to update the voice file for Samsung's TTS engine?

Update: I turned on Talkback, tried again, turned it off, and now... it sort of works. When I say "call home" it no longer echos "Calling home..." but just calls. Same for "Open Gmail". Right at the start it'd say "Calling home..." and "Opening Gmail..." before getting interrupted by the prompt. How do I get it to the original state but without the prompt?

Last edited:
G

GuestK00445

Okay I fiddled with the settings a bit and got the answer.

It seems Voice Search will use Google's TTS engine if it's installed, regardless of which engine you select as "preferred" in Settings. But when Google's TTS engine is uninstalled, it will use Samsung's engine and produce the annoying download prompt.

To get it to recognize changes in the system (such as installation or uninstallation), you have to fully exit and relaunch the app.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app