[Q] Which is Faster on the Shift? Windows XP - Windows 7 - Windows Vista - Windows 8

Search This thread

Spazer77710

Jun 20, 2010
Hi, I am about to get an HTC Shift here soon.
I was wondering which OS to put on the device.

I need to know which OS will run the smoothest. (Videos, gaming, not freezing up, etc.).
I know that there are some people here that know the answer. I'd really appreciate it if any of you can help me out here. Thanks guys!

Armazia

Nov 23, 2008
Hi, I am about to get an HTC Shift here soon.
I was wondering which OS to put on the device.

I need to know which OS will run the smoothest. (Videos, gaming, not freezing up, etc.).
I know that there are some people here that know the answer. I'd really appreciate it if any of you can help me out here. Thanks guys!

Choose windows 7, Windows xp just doesn't bring what you want due to the lack of good touch input, windows vista is slow. Windows 7 and XP performance are almost the same..

morganlowe

Aug 4, 2007
Messing around a bit 7 is best. 8 is beta and weird, XP is old and out of date for touch and such, Vista is a lost cause.

I got a 2gb RAM module for $95 off ebay by trading in my 1gb module. Shop around, you can find great deals.

Soon I am going to load Ubuntu 12.04 on it, I think in the long run of things it might work best, I'll post my findings.

Spazer77710

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for your response man. I think I found the correct drivers for Windows 7.
It was a pack I found here on XDA. It's too bad... 99% of the links for the HTC Shift Drivers are all bad.

Actually. I have a question. Would you happen to know if I install Windows 7, will the Windows Mobile part still be there? And also, do you think you could link me to the correct thread where you can use the HTC Shift as a phone?
That would be extremely helpful.

This is where I got the Drivers for Windows 7. - http://tb.gtxhosting.ru/pub/htc_shift.zip

I hope that is right.
I also somehow found a Pack for Windows XP Drivers. Do you think this is right? Here's the link. - http://archive02.filefactory.com/dl...29dc3cea11302048b02728/n/drivers_shift_XP.rar

Let me know, I'd really appreciate it. I'm glad to see that there are still some people who post about this device. =D

morganlowe

Aug 4, 2007
Thanks for your response man. I think I found the correct drivers for Windows 7.
It was a pack I found here on XDA. It's too bad... 99% of the links for the HTC Shift Drivers are all bad.

Actually. I have a question. Would you happen to know if I install Windows 7, will the Windows Mobile part still be there? And also, do you think you could link me to the correct thread where you can use the HTC Shift as a phone?

This is where I got the Drivers for Windows 7. - http://tb.gtxhosting.ru/pub/htc_shift.zip

I hope that is right.
I also somehow found a Pack for Windows XP Drivers. Do you think this is right? Here's the link. - http://archive02.filefactory.com/dl...29dc3cea11302048b02728/n/drivers_shift_XP.rar

Let me know, I'd really appreciate it. I'm glad to see that there are still some people who post about this device. =D

same stuff I found and check out my thread here

The WM side stays, its a hardware VM. I dont have time to jack with mine but I will post up a good updated write up with all my findings next week on windows 7 and WM 6.

Armazia

Nov 23, 2008

I hope that is right.

Don't download, Just download the official "Vista" drivers from the HTC Site, and then search for the instructions "how to install windows 7 HTC Shift" you'll get a topic with all the steps you should take. But you do have to download a new wlan driver.

Spazer77710

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for your response Armazia. I'll try to look around for the Vista Drivers and the instruction for Windows 7. I tried to look earlier, but I couldn't find it for some reason. I'll give it a shot now.

morganlowe

Aug 4, 2007
I will post up all the drivers I use once its done, Might be a while yet, working away from home starting tomorrow, wont be back till tues or weds.

I'll host it at Morninglion.com, my own website, so it will stay there.

Reactions: Spazer77710

dony71

Dec 1, 2010
seems HTC shift comes back alive since there is sales recently
my htc will arrive today ... ready for rock on roll :)
btw, anybody can tell me whether responsive noticeable increase
with 2GB RAM instead of 1GB stock RAM if running windows 7 ??

Armazia

Nov 23, 2008
seems HTC shift comes back alive since there is sales recently
my htc will arrive today ... ready for rock on roll :)
btw, anybody can tell me whether responsive noticeable increase
with 2GB RAM instead of 1GB stock RAM if running windows 7 ??

I think its not worth it, since it only has a 800 mhz processor.. You won't really benefit of 2 gb.

Ishman

Sep 3, 2007
I like the speed and quickness on windows 8. If you disable windows defender and file indexing (search), it runs very quickly. I use the stardock windows 8 menu as well. Has anyone gotten the WM side to be recognized on Windows 8. I was able to get it working on Vista and Windows 7 but having trouble with 8. Anyone have any good incite?

MinionOfEckerd

Nov 9, 2007
Does anybody know if it is still possible to download the Developer Preview of Windows 8? Microsoft only has links to the Consumer Preview. (Will this still work via the installation guide found here?)

I just ordered a Shift from the 1saleaday/Ben's Outlet for $199. Eagerly awaiting my new gadget! :D

Reactions: ifchyd

Ishman

Sep 3, 2007
Success, With a little work you can get the WM part to be visible in Windows 8 and can transfer files.
Once you use the usbtool, on the windows side you might need to repair the network connection (leave wifi off) and it works.
You can also use the SIM card to surf with windows 8 as well.

ifchyd

Jan 4, 2007
need liberation files

friends,my shift is windows 7 and need liberation files .when downloaded it is being saved as text file and cant liberate .pls mail me to ifchyd@hotmail.com all the files for liberation.And also my snapVUE not working in windows7,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will post up all the drivers I use once its done, Might be a while yet, working away from home starting tomorrow, wont be back till tues or weds.

I'll host it at Morninglion.com, my own website, so it will stay there.
    Does anybody know if it is still possible to download the Developer Preview of Windows 8? Microsoft only has links to the Consumer Preview. (Will this still work via the installation guide found here?)

I just ordered a Shift from the 1saleaday/Ben's Outlet for $199. Eagerly awaiting my new gadget! :D