Odin says pass, but no root?

Search This thread

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
I just received a refurbished S3, with KitKat already installed. I also used CF-Autoroot through Odin. Odin said everything passed. No su was installed, can't boot into any recovery, and rootchecker claims I am not rooted. If I install SU from play store, it says something about binaries needing updated, and that it can't do it. I even flashed it again, and it passed, but got all the same results. What am I missing?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Have you tried booting into recovery using the home+vol up+pwr button combo? If you can get into recovery, you can flash the supersu.zip package from recovery. I can try and get a link for the supersu.zip for you when I have a chance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
I just received a refurbished S3, with KitKat already installed. I also used CF-Autoroot through Odin. Odin said everything passed. No su was installed, can't boot into any recovery, and rootchecker claims I am not rooted. If I install SU from play store, it says something about binaries needing updated, and that it can't do it. I even flashed it again, and it passed, but got all the same results. What am I missing?

I just remembered something that you might try. As Rode Warrior mentioned, flash the latest Philz recovery via ODIN.

However, in ODIN, uncheck the "Auto Reboot" box and remove the battery cover (keep reading, you'll see why). Now, in ODIN flash the recovery, but when it says PASS, your phone will not reboot.

At this point, remove the USB chord and unplug the battery. Now, hold the Power + Vol Up + Home Button all together and re-insert the battery.

You should now boot into recovery. I can't remember the exact technicalities behind it, but Samsung built into their recovery a feature that will override the recovery you flashed in ODIN with the stock recovery.

Try the method I just gave you and let me know if it works.

Reactions: burghfan3

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I will not be able to try it again until about 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, but I will be sure to post results. Thanks again for the quick reply

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
Just to make sure that I downloaded the correct one, what is the latest version number of philz?

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Last edited:

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
I have tried 4 different browsers. I cant get the file downloaded. Anyone have this thing Dropboxed? Google was no help either. I can get to the page, but it just won't download

Last edited:

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
I just did what I should have done to begin with. I downloaded it with my phone, then emailed it to myself

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have tried 4 different browsers. i cant get the file downloaded. Anyone have this thing Dropboxed? Google was no help either

Are you trying on the phone or on the PC? If on the phone, by WIFI or by Mobile Data?Here you go, let me know when it's downloaded so I can delete it.

Edit: Nevermind. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Higgs_Boson

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Worked like a charm. 7 seconds. Now to find a 4-boot option for KitKat. Thanks to all!

Just a quick heads up, many of the ROMs for our device have moved to unified builds for the USA LTE SGS3. Thus you may need to look for the latest ROM being built for model # d2lte.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Worked like a charm. 7 seconds. Now to find a 4-boot option for KitKat. Thanks to all!

Wanam for Xposed has the 4 boot option. I use about 20-30 Xposed modules successfully. ☺

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
Just a 4way and theme for now probably. Was hooked on MOAR, and probably wait on that, even though there are MANY talented developers on XDA

burghfan3

Jun 13, 2012
I'm gonna flash Wicked 6.5. I have a special situation where I'm not supposed to do a full wipe, or factory reset. I am stock rooted with philz. Any harm flashing straight over top of that, or should I Odin a deodexed stock first? If I Odin, will I lose my data(info)?

I have dirty flashed many times, but not from odexed to deodexed, or vice versa. Thanks in advance

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
I'm gonna flash Wicked 6.5. I have a special situation where I'm not supposed to do a full wipe, or factory reset. I am stock rooted with philz. Any harm flashing straight over top of that, or should I Odin a deodexed stock first? If I Odin, will I lose my data(info)?

I have dirty flashed many times, but not from odexed to deodexed, or vice versa. Thanks in advance

Doing a quick Google search, flashing via ODIN wipes /system. Your media, apps, and titanium and nandroid backups should remain in tact.
The only time dirty flashes are advisable is if it's the same ROM and a small incremental (e.g. nightly/same Android version) build. That said, I also read that Deodexed over Odexed will be fine as long as you're doing stock Touchwiz overr stock Touchwiz (again same build number 4.3 --> 4.3 / 4.4.x --> 4.4.x). You'll just want to wipe /system, cache, and dalvik cache before ODINing the Deodexed to clear out all the odexed info from the system.

On a side note, always, always, always make a backup of your last working environment in the event that something fails.

If you start getting bootloops or unexpected behavior, you may want to restore your backup and consider doing a full wipe and flash to the ROM of your choosing.

Hope this helps.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I just want to clarify that ODINing a stock tar will only not wipe out your nandroids and Titanium Backups if your store them on your external SD. Internal SD gets completely wiped.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Odin the latest Philz recovery in tar version, then boot into recovery and when you tell recovery to reboot your phone, it'll offer to root your phone for you without manually downloading SuperSU.zip.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.

I just remembered something that you might try. As Rode Warrior mentioned, flash the latest Philz recovery via ODIN.

However, in ODIN, uncheck the "Auto Reboot" box and remove the battery cover (keep reading, you'll see why). Now, in ODIN flash the recovery, but when it says PASS, your phone will not reboot.

At this point, remove the USB chord and unplug the battery. Now, hold the Power + Vol Up + Home Button all together and re-insert the battery.

You should now boot into recovery. I can't remember the exact technicalities behind it, but Samsung built into their recovery a feature that will override the recovery you flashed in ODIN with the stock recovery.

Try the method I just gave you and let me know if it works.
    Just to make sure that I downloaded the correct one, what is the latest version number of philz?

This is the latest version that you want:

philz_touch_6.41.6-d2lte.tar.md5

And, can be downloaded from here:

http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte

Good luck. :)

I have tried 4 different browsers. i cant get the file downloaded. Anyone have this thing Dropboxed? Google was no help either

Are you trying on the phone or on the PC? If on the phone, by WIFI or by Mobile Data?Here you go, let me know when it's downloaded so I can delete it.

Edit: Nevermind. :D