[Q] Can't Root My Phone! Help!!

Search This thread

PoisonBullet9

Mar 22, 2014
I have the S3 Mini for Verizon (SM-G730V)
I rooted my phone a while back but my phone updated this month and it automatically unrooted. I tried using Kingo to root it because it had worked previously but I got an error saying "NEEDROOT"
I've been searching for a program ever since, but every one I've tried doesn't work. One even hard reset my phone :(
Does anyone know a root method that works for my phone??

Ahmed.ragab

Oct 18, 2012
Cairo
I rooted my phone a while back but my phone updated this month and it automatically unrooted. I tried using Kingo to root it because it had worked previously but I got an error saying "NEEDROOT"
I've been searching for a program ever since, but every one I've tried doesn't work. One even hard reset my phone :(

Try to use vroot

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
I did, with no luck. I also tried various other programs, like one click, odin, and phone apps like poot. None seem to work with my phone.

why not just flash a custom rom with odin? you could try cyanogenmod though the 11 version maybe has hard battery drain. carbon should be fine though! then you also have kitkat 4,4,2

good luck... click the thanks button if you think this is useful ;)

PoisonBullet9

Mar 22, 2014
why not just flash a custom rom with odin? you could try cyanogenmod though the 11 version maybe has hard battery drain. carbon should be fine though! then you also have kitkat 4,4,2

good luck... click the thanks button if you think this is useful ;)

Flashing ROMs thought Odin is inconvenient, I'd prefer to just root the phone for ease of use.

I think I found the source of the problem:
When I was using vRoot, it said that I didn't have 'root permission' and gave me a how-to in order to solve that problem. However it was in Chinese so I couldn't figure it out. Is it possible that I just need to find a way to get root permission for my phone? How do I get permission?

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Flashing ROMs thought Odin is inconvenient, I'd prefer to just root the phone for ease of use.

I think I found the source of the problem:
When I was using vRoot, it said that I didn't have 'root permission' and gave me a how-to in order to solve that problem. However it was in Chinese so I couldn't figure it out. Is it possible that I just need to find a way to get root permission for my phone? How do I get permission?

there is an english version of vroot too now check it here http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot

if you consider this useful please click thanks button under my post thanks :)

Last edited:

PoisonBullet9

Mar 22, 2014
there is an english version of vroot too now check it here

if you consider this useful please click thanks button under my post thanks :)

The English version is a little broken, not all of it is in English. I'm talking about the app they have for the phone. I downloaded it and it said it couldn't root my phone (at least that's what I think it said it was all Chinese) and it gave me a list of instructions I couldn't understand. I already tried the English vRoot and it didn't work.

Gw|n

Mar 11, 2010
IMHO best way how to root your phone is by flashing custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) via Odin and then by flashing root binaries from recovery.

Last edited:

Gw|n

Mar 11, 2010
I've updated my previous post. Download some custom recovery and flash it as pda, then reboot into it by pressing vol. up + home + power and finally flash zip with root from recovery.

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
and after you have custom recovery it's also super easy to flash .zip files with recovery only (not odin) so then you can flash custom roms .zip's ;)

PoisonBullet9

Mar 22, 2014
I've updated my previous post. Download some custom recovery and flash it as pda, then reboot into it by pressing vol. up + home + power and finally flash zip with root from recovery.

Can I get a link for any custom recovery that is compatible with the Verizon S3 mini? (SM-G730V)

Last edited:

ImproAptoVictum

Feb 2, 2013

Try using Unified Android Toolkit and simply following the on screen instructions.

slwelsh

Mar 30, 2011
I am having the same issue with my wife's phone. Rooted once with Kingo but she accidentally accepted an OTA update and we lost root. Now Kingo just says "Root failed."

Verizon has locked the bootloader on these phones so that it is, AFAIK, not possible at all to flash a custom recovery. I have plenty of experience with CWM and TWRP from my own two previous sammys (Epic 4G and Galaxy S4, both on Sprint). If someone here (with a VZW model) has experience otherwise, I'd love to hear about it and how you got around the lock.

Downloading Unified Android Toolkit now and we'll see how it goes, but it is not looking good.

-Sean

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Downloading Unified Android Toolkit now and we'll see how it goes, but it is not looking good.

Well, that lead me nowhere. It comes up with a list of S3 Mini model numbers that does not include Verizon's. On top of that, AVG said one of the executables was infected with a virus (a warning which I bypassed in order to test).

Any other suggestions?

-Sean

ImproAptoVictum

Feb 2, 2013
I am having the same issue with my wife's phone. Rooted once with Kingo but she accidentally accepted an OTA update and we lost root. Now Kingo just says "Root failed."

Verizon has locked the bootloader on these phones so that it is, AFAIK, not possible at all to flash a custom recovery. I have plenty of experience with CWM and TWRP from my own two previous sammys (Epic 4G and Galaxy S4, both on Sprint). If someone here (with a VZW model) has experience otherwise, I'd love to hear about it and how you got around the lock.

-Sean

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Well, that lead me nowhere. It comes up with a list of S3 Mini model numbers that does not include Verizon's. On top of that, AVG said one of the executables was infected with a virus (a warning which I bypassed in order to test).

Any other suggestions?

-Sean

Tried saferoot?

slwelsh

Mar 30, 2011

Trying now, but it doesn't look good. It's been stuck on "Testing adb usability" for ten minutes or so.

So I am now noticing that any time I plug this phone in, during the "Found new hardware" for the ADB interface it is telling me that my new hardware "might not work." This does not happen when I plug in my S4. I'm wondering if VZW has done something to block ADB access...

I've backed the phone up with Kies and now I am thinking about a factory reset before trying again. I just don't want to make things any worse, knowing I can't simply Odin the stock image on this phone.

Any other recommendations?

-Sean

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Trying now, but it doesn't look good. It's been stuck on "Testing adb usability" for ten minutes or so.

Update: on retry, I got past this spot, but ultimately the root failed and it told me the model was not supported.

Kingo gets further than anything else I've tried, but eventually fails with the error "NeedRoot." Ironically.

I'm going to try a factory reset. I am wondering if the fact that SuperSu is still in ROM is what's tripping Kingo up. I can force stop it and "turn it off" but, of course, without root I can't actually remove it from the ROM.

-Sean

ImproAptoVictum

Feb 2, 2013

So I am now noticing that any time I plug this phone in, during the "Found new hardware" for the ADB interface it is telling me that my new hardware "might not work." This does not happen when I plug in my S4. I'm wondering if VZW has done something to block ADB access...

I've backed the phone up with Kies and now I am thinking about a factory reset before trying again. I just don't want to make things any worse, knowing I can't simply Odin the stock image on this phone.

Any other recommendations?

-Sean

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Update: on retry, I got past this spot, but ultimately the root failed and it told me the model was not supported.

Kingo gets further than anything else I've tried, but eventually fails with the error "NeedRoot." Ironically.

I'm going to try a factory reset. I am wondering if the fact that SuperSu is still in ROM is what's tripping Kingo up. I can force stop it and "turn it off" but, of course, without root I can't actually remove it from the ROM.

-Sean

That sounds plausible, factory reset might help avoid the issue, but if SuperSu is installed as system app (normally the case), it might in some cases still be there after a factory reset.

B.E.McAllister

Mar 31, 2011
I'm having the same issues. I have tried with three different cables, using three different programs. Do you think it's because I don't have three original cable I only have moto ones? I can reset using kries so it's not like the computer doesn't see it

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, the factory reset did not help. As you note, SuperSu is installed as a system app so it is still there.

I'm stumped. I've sent a support message to Kingo to see if they can resolve this, considering their method gets further than anything else.

I have heard rumors that Odin can flash the stock image, which would get me back to square one and I could try again, but as far as I can tell, no one has the stock image for this model.

-Sean

Flashing stock firmware might be worth a try. Firmware for SM-G730V (USA Verizon).
    Model: SM-G730V
    Model name: GALAXY S III mini
    Version: Android 4.2.2
    Changelist: 2501699
    Build date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 12:29:19 +0000
    Product Code: VZW
    PDA: G730VVRUANA4
    CSC: G730VVZWANA4
    MODEM: G730VVRUANA4
    Be sure to have the proper device driver installed and Samsung Kies disabled/not running prior and while using Odin.