Installing Cupcake on your ROOTED G1 (or Dev phone)

Search This thread

speoples20

Jun 10, 2007
Anyway to extract just the on screen keyboard? So we can have an on screen keyboard till cupcake actually comes out. I think I'm like most people here and my G1 is my main phone and need it fully functional.

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Not possible. The underlying framework of Android has to be modified to make cupcake OSK possible. It's not just an app that runs in the background.

samysam05

Apr 6, 2008
i installled this on my dev phone and wanted to go back to way it was before. Im a noob so im a lil confused. i added the modified rc30 but it's asking me for the gmail account and all that. before i didnt have to do that..... how do i get the dev phone back??

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
i installled this on my dev phone and wanted to go back to way it was before. Im a noob so im a lil confused. i added the modified rc30 but it's asking me for the gmail account and all that. before i didnt have to do that..... how do i get the dev phone back??

You need a dev phone image. I think that's been uploaded somewhere on this forum too.

maxdamage2122

Nov 16, 2007

i think your confused. even with the dev phone build you still have to enter in your gmail info. and btw the dev build is posted somewhere just cant remember but JF's RC30 will be fine too.

Darkrift

Oct 5, 2006
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yeah I performed the steps on the build-for-dream page. I think it was more of a matter of just needing to blowing away my local repository and getting the entire thing fresh? The keyboard is nice. I'm also optimistic about the new JS engine, but imo some kind of ad-blocking ability would be much more low hanging fruit in terms of speeding up pageloading.

I do not see google liking any kind of ad blocking software. Google exists because of ads, and blocking them is like killing a kitten to them.

texasaggie1

Aug 10, 2004
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
Phone Working on Cupcake?

Thanks for all of this work guys. Did anybody get your phone to work while running cupcake? Mine wouldn't connect to a network at all so I uploaded the radio image from JF RC30 v1.2 to the phone. Once I did that phone wouldn't boot. So I just went back to RC 30 1.2. Did anybody have success with phone? NOTE: To go back to RC30 just copy it's update.zip to your sdcard. You'll have to do an "alt-w" before you can do a "alt-s"

Datruesurfer

Oct 26, 2008
Flashed fine, booted fine, but the missing wifi, bluetooth, and GSM functionality forced me to go back to RC30. We need a build that is actually targeted towards the dream and not for the emulator.

Last edited:

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
Flashed fine, booted fine, but the missing wifi, bluetooth, and GSM functionality forced me to go back to RC30. We need a build that is actually targeted towards the dream and not for the emulator.

That is the dream targeted build. The current source is very broken due to the new features.

fluke.l

Nov 8, 2008
I've tried your image.

The wireless module is not stable, nearly not usable.

And wifi module is malfunctioned.

texasaggie1

Aug 10, 2004
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
WARNING: Update on "Cupcake"

Thanks for all of this work guys. Did anybody get your phone to work while running cupcake? Mine wouldn't connect to a network at all so I uploaded the radio image from JF RC30 v1.2 to the phone. Once I did that phone wouldn't boot. So I just went back to RC 30 1.2. Did anybody have success with phone? NOTE: To go back to RC30 just copy it's update.zip to your sdcard. You'll have to do an "alt-w" before you can do a "alt-s"

WARNING: It might be a coincidence but when I loaded cupcake it FRIED my SD card. The card acts really strange. I have gone into the card using LDE in linux and tried to wipe the card with ones and zeros, but it is fried. Anybody else have this trouble. Thanks!

FIX FOUND: This is a known G1 issue on multiple firmwares. http://rivviepop.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/fix-your-g1-android-messed-up-sd-card/

Last edited:

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
WARNING: It might be a coincidence but when I loaded cupcake it FRIED my SD card. The card acts really strange. I have gone into the card using LDE in linux and tried to wipe the card with ones and zeros, but it is fried. Anybody else have this trouble. Thanks!

One of my 4GB cards was fried when I first got the phone. I had it loaded with about 4GB of music... then I started having issues with the SD card and found it to be some corrupted sectors. I didn't blame it on the G1 but now I have suspicions.

Koush

Sep 21, 2007
One of my 4GB cards was fried when I first got the phone. I had it loaded with about 4GB of music... then I started having issues with the SD card and found it to be some corrupted sectors. I didn't blame it on the G1 but now I have suspicions.

My 8GB card started acting up (not always being recognized/found) around the time I started using Debian. It may not be cupcake, but just the G1 in general...

K

korndub

I've tried your image.

The wireless module is not stable, nearly not usable.

And wifi module is malfunctioned.
fluke, if you took the time to read all that koush said, he advised us all that this is very much a development build and that after flashing to his G1 he went back to JF rc30 1.2. you cannot expect a fresh development build to be perfect, HENCE THE NAME DEVELOPMENT BUILD.