Best RSS Reader App

Search This thread

johnjohn25

Jun 7, 2010
Austin
I'm wondering what RSS reader/google reader type apps you guys are using?

I have gReader Pro, Reader HD, FeedR, and NewsRob Pro. I have already also used the default google reader app and Just Reader and a few others. I still haven't found a google reader app that looks and works great. The main issues I have with the listed reader apps are that most don't display images properly, as in 70% of the screen is for the feed but pictures from flickr rss feeds or tumblr only show up as a small box fitting 10% of the screen; tons of unused space. Would be nice for an RSS reader app that smartly adjusted pictures for optimal screen usage.

Wish they'd make Reeder for android, that rss app is nearly perfect.

bcvictory

Oct 6, 2011
Bendigo
Reader HD or the official Reader App for me. Maybe flip board when it gets optimized for tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

E_man5112

Jul 13, 2010
What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greyfish
A

ace7196

What don't you like about Just Reader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (Just Reader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on Just Reader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a Just Reader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.

Is Just Reader and app, or do you mean Google Reader?

If you mean Google Reader, does it work with podcasts?

NZtechfreak

Sep 5, 2008
gReaderPro. Best RSS reader available for Android from the functionality point of view, if you subscribe to dozens of feeds like I do it is really the way to go. If your RSS needs are more casual stuff like Flipboard and Currents or Pulse may suffice (prettier to look at).

Reactions: jcjr81

jcjr81

Jan 7, 2010
Greader Pro. Its the best I've used. The layout is good, it's fast and it's reliable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

wugui

Apr 6, 2009
You guys not using google current? You could import your rss from your google reader directly in the apps itself, pretty awesome

johnjohn25

Jun 7, 2010
Austin
What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.

I just retried JustReader and you were right! So far on the Nexus 7 it seems to work the best for what I'm looking for. I spend way too much money on RSS apps lol, but thankfully I already owned JustReader from a few months ago. Thanks man.

bobsilver

Jan 8, 2011
Try Freely. Great RSS app much like Flip board. I love it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
Reader HD isn't just a good rss app it's one of the better android apps I've used. Very slick and just loaded with features. I'm impressed and happy every time I use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

gReaderPro. Best RSS reader available for Android from the functionality point of view, if you subscribe to dozens of feeds like I do it is really the way to go. If your RSS needs are more casual stuff like Flipboard and Currents or Pulse may suffice (prettier to look at).
    I use Feedly, works great on android and on desktop in Firefox or chrome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Use Taptu that can integrate with Google reader and social networks etc :)
    ReaderHD. That's my favorite RSS reader app..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app