[Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 L720 shows Unknown Baseband, IMEI, Software Version and MEID

Search This thread

mariodelacruz1214

Apr 3, 2013
Hello,

I have a sprint Samsung galaxy s4 L720, unrooted on stock 4.3 baseband version L720VPUAMDC, the problem is that now it shows baseband, software version and IMEI as unknown and also it has an X up in the coverage bars so im unable to make or receive calls. I've never tried to root it or to change it's software. also on few occasions the info about IMEI and baseband comes back and I can make calls again but it just goes back to unknown after a while. also I've tried to reinstall the software and made several factory resets. I just don't know what can I do anymore.

help will be appreciated

thanks.

leaderbuilder

Hello,

I have a sprint Samsung galaxy s4 L720, unrooted on stock 4.3 baseband version L720VPUAMDC, the problem is that now it shows baseband, software version and IMEI as unknown and also it has an X up in the coverage bars so im unable to make or receive calls. I've never tried to root it or to change it's software. also on few occasions the info about IMEI and baseband comes back and I can make calls again but it just goes back to unknown after a while. also I've tried to reinstall the software and made several factory resets. I just don't know what can I do anymore.

help will be appreciated

thanks.
Really an unrooted MDC firmware?!
You haven't been getting update notices for months and months?
How long have you had the phone?
Was/is it flashed to another carrier?
How did you 're-install' the software? PC Odin? What version of Odin?

arys64

Jan 5, 2008
Santiago
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello,

help will be appreciated

thanks.

I had the same problem. To fix it I just reflash the original rom that it has with Odin. Ex.: Mine is NAE 4.4.2, so I flashed that with Odin PC.
Remember: IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG I'M NOT RESPONSABLE

mariodelacruz1214

Apr 3, 2013
Really an unrooted MDC firmware?!
You haven't been getting update notices for months and months?
How long have you had the phone?
Was/is it flashed to another carrier?
How did you 're-install' the software? PC Odin? What version of Odin?

*The only update I got was the 4.3 one.

*I have like 4 months with the phone.

*Yeah it is flashed to another carrier, I'm in a foreign country. it worked smoothly the first 2 months and a half.

*it wasn't me who re-installed the software. I had some cellphone repair shop do it.

hope this helps.

mariodelacruz1214

Apr 3, 2013
^DO THAT^ It is their responsibility. Well technically your responsibility, but have them do what ever you need them to do.

The problem is that it had the issue before they reinstalled the software they just couldn't fix it and they didn't even charge me, so I don't believe it's their fault. also I noticed that I have baseband version L720PUAMDC and Build number JSS.15.L720VPUEMK2. shouldn't these 2 be the same?

leaderbuilder

The problem is that it had the issue before they reinstalled the software they just couldn't fix it and they didn't even charge me, so I don't believe it's their fault. also I noticed that I have baseband version L720PUAMDC and Build number JSS.15.L720VPUEMK2. shouldn't these 2 be the same?
No they don't have to.
What they probably did is keep the baseband at MDC because that (or MDL) is needed for doing SIM/Carrier unlock and flashing. And they updated the ROM to a MK2 build.
Obviously they screwed the pooch somewhere.
Your best bet is reading through the few SIM unlock posts here in the forum (there are already a few and have dozens if not hundres of posts!). And using google to maybe look into your specific country/region/carrier flashing options.

WackyJoe

Apr 29, 2012
East Coast
Uh oh...

If you update everything via MK2 you'll get everything back...except I'm pretty sure you'll lose the unlock, unless you know how to bring your baseband back to MDC...pretty straight forward, just Odin the modem.

So basically:
1) Odin MK2 full
2) Odin MDC modem

You should have your baseband back and thus everything restored.

This will not affect your 0011 menu edits.

In worst case scenario I will do this pro bono...you just take care of the shipping fees, but you should honestly try, at the very least, the above 2 steps.

Last edited:

ymf331

Jan 5, 2014
before you do anything extreme, go to mobile network settings and set your cdma subscription to nv.

shafik3194

Dec 27, 2013

hi
you can repair via z3x box with samsung 16.7
its working very good i already repair alot of samsung l720
(1) flash the phone with original firmware
(2) root your phone with cft auto root file
(3) repair your imei with z3x 16.7
thanks