5+ Hours of on-screen use?

Search This thread

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
Yeah. The only thing I've changed is the governor. Haven't touched anything else since I have no clue WTF I'm doing. Like I said, I'll give the ROM another week of solid use and report back. I've found a good medium with my current setup and I don't I'll be switching any time soon :).

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
It seems Matrix Kernel is what everyone is reporting success with. I don't want to loose.my.voodoo colors... can someone help me.set.permanent.colors that don't go away with a boot?

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (9.0)
Air Kernel (3.45)
OC 1000/200 (Lionheart)
Live OC (100 -Noop)
v6 Supercharged

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
I don't know of a permanent solution, but you can do what I did and just screenshot your color values:p

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
I don't know of a permanent solution, but you can do what I did and just screenshot your color values:p

Is there a script I could run at boot? I have a color scheme in mind. I just need a way to implement it...

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (9.0)
Air Kernel (3.45)
OC 1000/200 (Lionheart)
Live OC (100 -Noop)
v6 Supercharged

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
Well I have set custom colors (they are gorgeous, the blacks are so rich and the other colors are so deep) to change at boot and changed my kernel.

Now without a doubt the battery is better. I am reporting 1% lost ever 5-8 minutes as opposed to 1% lost ever 1-3 minutes. With data on for both tests. Of course I only just changed kernels and what not. So my new found success could just be me being overly excited.

I'll run my phone through a full day of my 'normal' use. Then we'll see just how much more amazing Matrix is :).

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (9.0)
Matrix Kernel (CFS 19.0)
OC 1000/200 (Lionheart)
Deep Idle (Off - Noop)
v6 Supercharged

vng10

Oct 12, 2010
New Brighton
Well I have set custom colors (they are gorgeous, the blacks are so rich and the other colors are so deep) to change at boot and changed my kernel.

Now without a doubt the battery is better. I am reporting 1% lost ever 5-8 minutes as opposed to 1% lost ever 1-3 minutes. With data on for both tests. Of course I only just changed kernels and what not. So my new found success could just be me being overly excited.

I'll run my phone through a full day of my 'normal' use. Then we'll see just how much more amazing Matrix is :).

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (9.0)
Matrix Kernel (CFS 19.0)
OC 1000/200 (Lionheart)
Deep Idle (Off - Noop)
v6 Supercharged

would you mind sharing your colors ?? :)

jakem90

Apr 19, 2011
I just updated to matrix kernel and am at 4 hours screen on time, 13 hours with 23% left, I can def say this kernel boosts battery as I use to only get 3 hours screen on time.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
I just updated to matrix kernel and am at 4 hours screen on time, 13 hours with 23% left, I can def say this kernel boosts battery as I use to only get 3 hours screen on time.

I'm getting better battery too. I was flashing and editing a ton of files today so my battery chart is messed (from restoring a Nandroid ) so I can't show screens... I'll try for tomorrow!

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (9.0)
Matrix Kernel (CFS 19.0)
OC 1000/200 (Lionheart)
Deep Idle (Off - Noop)
v6 Supercharged

jakem90

Apr 19, 2011
Looking good to me, will try out some games tomorrow

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-17-22-03-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-17-22-03-38.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2012-04-17-22-03-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-17-22-03-47.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

al_madd

May 17, 2011
Screen usage only 28% with 5 hours?

Difficult to believe..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

glennkaonang

Feb 6, 2012
Surabaya
This is mine running the latest Bugless Beast and its default kernel.
Ondemand, cfq, 100/1000 (set with SetCPU.

It seems pretty good to me already, knowing that it's i9023 with SLCD (known to be more battery drainer than i9020 with SAMOLED).

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

Last edited:

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
I'm going to try an upload what I'm getting now with my set up. Hopefully we will see at least 4 and a half hours on-screen....

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
GummyNex (9.0)
Matrix Kernel (CFS - 19.0)
Lionheart (1000 / 100)
Deep Idle (Off - Sio)

Paragon_X

Mar 26, 2011
Toronto
you guys mentioned freezing apps? can you link me to a post suggesting such apps... i can not top 2 hrs on screen time... tried multiple governor tweaks... also I eliminated all sync except gmail... so so so confused how I cannot be a boss with this battery life lol

Also I can't help notice nobody is using codename or cm9 roms... seems those pack feats but not so good on battery life?

Last edited:

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
The only things I have frozen are calendar, wallet, and DRM. I haven't changed the governors or anything and have pushed 3:45 for screen on time. keep in mind that this was on wifi and depending on how my phone was used, its gonna vary. I've since switched over to an extended battery because I find myself on my phone much more than before.

Paragon_X

Mar 26, 2011
Toronto
The only things I have frozen are calendar, wallet, and DRM. I haven't changed the governors or anything and have pushed 3:45 for screen on time. keep in mind that this was on wifi and depending on how my phone was used, its gonna vary. I've since switched over to an extended battery because I find myself on my phone much more than before.

This is a great suggestion... from what I've been reading DRM is huge on data and battery... just froze and the phone is charging, hoping for the best.

jakem90

Apr 19, 2011
I'm using cm9 v6 and supercharged and can get 4 hours screen on time, I've recently tried air kernel but experience better battery life with matr1x, guess it's different with everybody

Braneless

Jun 21, 2011
Dayton, OH
you guys mentioned freezing apps? can you link me to a post suggesting such apps... i can not top 2 hrs on screen time... tried multiple governor tweaks... also I eliminated all sync except gmail... so so so confused how I cannot be a boss with this battery life lol

Also I can't help notice nobody is using codename or cm9 roms... seems those pack feats but not so good on battery life?

My posts and screen caps on page 1 of this thread are from a CM9 rom - a Euroskank Kang, which is essentially a cm nightly. Exceeded 28hrs and 6 hrs of screen time.

I also use v6 supercharger, which is just a memory management script. It does nothing for battery life, but can improve smoothness and reduce lag and launcher redraws.

Paragon_X

Mar 26, 2011
Toronto
My posts and screen caps on page 1 of this thread are from a CM9 rom - a Euroskank Kang, which is essentially a cm nightly. Exceeded 28hrs and 6 hrs of screen time.

I also use v6 supercharger, which is just a memory management script. It does nothing for battery life, but can improve smoothness and reduce lag and launcher redraws.

Thanks mate. I've bounced around a few ROMS and I don't consider myself a noob. I've come to the conclusion that I might need a battery replacement simply because when I did have my Nexus, I initially would leave it charging for a while after hitting 100% and I also let it die 0% wipe out a few times.

Edit: I never considered using a AOKP ROM however reading the differences it seems like it's worth a go. I'll use the one similar to you, I'm one codename rc right now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok! I'll copy that and try out my batterylife again :) thank you so much!

Sent from a sandwich using my Nexus S

Don't expect too much battery life boost from a governor as yet. Most conventional methods i've played with only make noticeable differences in very specific situations (e.g. 400mhz being most efficient with screen off and DI playing music). Lots of variables to take into account, mostly with saving power while idling i'd say.

So long as your phone sleeps like a baby with the screen off you'll get great battery life. Still trying to track down some things which seem to prevent this almost randomly. Maybe i'll give autostarts a workout to aid me after my exams.
    To squeeze my i9023 to 5 hours screen time at on charge, takes a few tweaks.
    Tasker handles most of it automatically. When connected to wifi, i use 2G only. Outside my house i'm on 3G and wifi off. Sync turned on for 5 min. every 30 min. Flightmode at night. GPS is normally turned off. Only auto backlight when i'm outside.
    I've overclocked the phone to 100/1200 and use the smartass2 governor.
    The phone is about a year old.

batt.png
    I've given up on smartassv2... Trying lazy today... Tomorrow Ondemmand if lazy fails, then back to Lionheart.

@Above. That's a different phone then the Nexus S o.o...

Nexus S (GSM i9020a)
    GummyNex (4.0.4 - 102)
    Matrix Kernel (CFS - 19.0)
    smartassV2 tweak (1000/200)
    Deep Idle (On - Noop)
    443dbbf3-2066-a627.jpg

This is my killer

Sent from my Nexus S

You should get better battery stats if you haven't already. I've had issues with Android system doing crap like that. Mine was narrowed down to a sync loop wake lock. I ended up stopping the actual Android system and it went away. I also unchecked and checked my Gmail sync and the problem hasn't come back. That app should help you out. Once you figure out the issue, head over to the thread for it. They're pretty helpful.