[RECOVERY] CWMR 5.5.0.4 for I957 (LTE)

Search This thread

Scarchunk

Sep 14, 2008
alright great, with your binary ill try to flash my ROM.

Here you go. For some reason I'm not able to attach it to my post even though its below the size limit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35529167/HCLauncher.zip

This is the launcher from overcome in case you want to give it a try. Hope to see your rom soon. I'm curious as to what you have planned. I've been looking into some build.prop tweaks and deodexing/zipaligning the rom from sammobile. I assume your doing the same, so no reason to double the efforts.

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
I'll flash that zip and let you know what happens. If it works then ill just use the binary from it with a modified updater script.

this is the filesystem layout (courtesy of utkanos)

Code:
# mount point fstype device [device2]

#/tmp ramdisk
/boot emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
/cache ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25
/data ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p26
#/misc mtd misc
/recovery emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
#/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p28 /dev/block/mmcblk0
/system ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p24
/efs ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Last edited:

Scarchunk

Sep 14, 2008
I'll flash that zip and let you know what happens. If it works then ill just use the binary from it with a modified updater script.

this is the filesystem layout (courtesy of utkanos)

Code:
# mount point fstype device [device2]

#/tmp ramdisk
/boot emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
/cache ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25
/data ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p26
#/misc mtd misc
/recovery emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
#/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p28 /dev/block/mmcblk0
/system ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p24
/efs ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Nice. Now that you've got the filesystem enumerated, the update script will be cake. Just like I thought, the filesystem is laid out almost identically to the skyrocket. The mount points for data and cache are the only differences that I see.(pretty important..lol) The skyrocket and 8.9 lte have identical board id's as well by comparing build.props. You could pull all the build.prop tweaks from the sky ice cream skyrocket rom that your running. I've already applied quite a few.

JayWheelz

Dec 13, 2009
PA
orlando let me know if you need testing for your rom when you're ready. I'll help you with finding bugs if necessary.

orlandoxpolice

Mar 6, 2007
Ok, I am trying to learn here.

1. Why do you use mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p24", "/system");, and then unmount("/system"); without the dev blocks?

2. In above code, why you you write both 'ext4' and 'emmc' while mounting if system if it is only ext4?

3. For example, the original script is "mount("MTD", "userdata", "/data");" To modify this correctly i should make it "mount("ext4", "userdata", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26", "/data")? Not sure why 'userdata' is there since you are already calling out the block location as well as the name.

4. Why is the second block location listed here? #/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p28 /dev/block/mmcblk0

5. If I were to royally mess something up in the script (i/e format data or system and then unable to replace them, or the boot.img get corrupted), could I still get into download mode or recovery to odin or nandroid back to stock? (TL;DR whats the worst that can happen?)

Scarchunk

Sep 14, 2008
Ok, I am trying to learn here.

1. Why do you use mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p24", "/system");, and then unmount("/system"); without the dev blocks?

2. In above code, why you you write both 'ext4' and 'emmc' while mounting if system if it is only ext4?

3. For example, the original script is "mount("MTD", "userdata", "/data");" To modify this correctly i should make it "mount("ext4", "userdata", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26", "/data")? Not sure why 'userdata' is there since you are already calling out the block location as well as the name.

4. Why is the second block location listed here? #/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p28 /dev/block/mmcblk0

5. If I were to royally mess something up in the script (i/e format data or system and then unable to replace them, or the boot.img get corrupted), could I still get into download mode or recovery to odin or nandroid back to stock? (TL;DR whats the worst that can happen?)

Well as I mentioned earlier I'm a Microsoft/Cisco admin that tinkers in Android for fun over the past few years, so I'm definitely not the best person to be answering these questions, but I'll do my best. I've learned how to do quite a bit in android without taking the time/effort to learn why I do it the way I do. Most of your questions are "why" questions...

1. I used this syntax because that's the way I learned with both my captivate and SGS2. I'm far from fluent in edify, but in reading the script; ext4 refers to the filesystem, EMMC refers to the physical internal SD card (I think it's Embedded MultiMedia Card..maybe) and the dev/block refers to the partition. Not sure why you don't have to enumerate as much when unmounting, but you'll notice it's the same way when unpacking data from "system" to "/system". I'm guessing it's an assumption made by the scripting language once you've already mounted.

2. One refers to the filesystem and the other refers to the physical medium? Just the way I've seen it done. Don't really know.

3. You don't need to mount data. Most all update scripts I've seen simply wipe data. I'm not sure why you'd want to mount data unless you want to throw some apk's into data/app as opposed to system/app. Even if you do, you wouldn't use "userdata". The mount for our system would be ;mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p26", "/data")

4. Not sure. You wouldn't want to use that in the update script anyways.

5. Well since I haven't seen your rom or script it's tough to say what the worst could be. Your script should essentially wipe the current system and data, install the new system, set symlinks and permissions, install the kernel, and then unmount everything. You should have no reason to touch the recovery partition. If that's the case, then I would think the worst that could happen would be a boot loop into recovery. From there you could still restore from backup or odin from download mode. Similar to what you described when you tried to force your previous script.

orlandoxpolice, I'm worried that we're hijacking this thread too much. Maybe we should proceed via PM or IRC. I'm confident that we could get this thing going. I don't have a ton a spare time between work and family, but we're close to finally having a rom for this tablet. As I mentioned I've already done some work regarding deodexing/zipaligning and build.prop tweaks. I've also stripped all the bloat apks and such. No reason to double the work. Give me a shout.

Ikaro

Mar 29, 2008
Cagliari
. hidenandroidprogress

Ok! As I wrote in my previous post (#16) I created a file with polaris office (a word file with a word written at random) and I renamed it in ". hidenandroidprogress" so I saved in the dir "ClockworkMod / backup".
I think you can use any text editor (for example) to create the file, then renaming :)

Max

TEKHD

Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Scout
Successfully Flashed 2 Tablets!

Just Flashed the recovery...

Backing up...

No issues with backup... (did not have to do the .hidenandroidprogress blank file)

No we can say on the first post... tested by 3 not 2... lol... (my wife is going to be #4... doing it right now on her tablet)

... Done ... >>> 1st tablet no issues (first 2 pics) >>> 2nd tablet stayed in "Backing Up data..." (Last 3 pics) Created the .hidenandroidprogress for the second tablet and Backup Ended Successfully...

First 2 pics my tablet... last 3 pics my wife's tablet...

Now... tested by 4... lol

Attachments

• IMAG1598.jpg
    IMAG1598.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG1599.jpg
    IMAG1599.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG1601.jpg
    IMAG1601.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG1602.jpg
    IMAG1602.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG1603.jpg
    IMAG1603.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

TEKHD

Okay Developers... Listen to this... Since I have two tablets I have discovered something that a person with a single tablet will have less chance to note. As mentioned in my above post, 1st tablet did not required the .hidenandroidprogress but the 2nd did required the file. Now... I decided to add the file to the 1st tablet so it would be bullet proof (just in case) and guess what... Yes, the backup failed! I removed the file and backup perfect again... So in other words, if you are a developer and you are thinking to include the .hidenandroidprogress file in the rom... Think again... Don't do it... Just offer it as an option (zip flashable file) for users who "really need it"... Heads up! (orlandoxpolice)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

Last edited:

modestone

Apr 30, 2011
Is there maybe something installed on the tab that makes this required vs not?

As far as I can tell, thats pretty much the only thing it could be.

Were both your tabs already rooted, were they both running dag's oc kernel, or just the root kernel?

TEKHD

Is there maybe something installed on the tab that makes this required vs not?

As far as I can tell, thats pretty much the only thing it could be.

Were both your tabs already rooted, were they both running dag's oc kernel, or just the root kernel?

Hello there... They are both running the oc kernel from dag... They are exactly the same tab both bought the same day, same store. My wife's tablet has much less apps installed... But we even use the same launcher (EX) I pretty much install exactly the same mods to her after I confirm them working on mine... Nothing really out of this world... Another detail... I thought that if some tablet was going to need the file it was going to be me since mine has much more apps installed so there would be more chance for a "long file name" but is all the opposite... She is the one that needed it.

Can someone provide a CWM flashable zip file with the .hidenandroidprogress file... Just to test it and be all 100% sure of the issue... And another zip that removes it... So there is no manual intervention by my part...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

Last edited:

Scarchunk

Sep 14, 2008
Can someone provide a CWM flashable zip file with the .hidenandroidprogress file... Just to test it and be all 100% sure of the issue... And another zip that removes it... So there is no manual intervention by my part...

Here you go. This will write a 100 byte empty file to your CWM folder. Tested and works. You might be having trouble due to the way your creating the empty file. I created it in Win 7 via CL using the following command syntax: fsutil file createnew <name of your file> <size in bytes>.

I could create a zip to remove it if you really want, but I'd have to look up the syntax. Don't want to accidentally blow away your CWM directory:D Just as easy to delete it via root explorer.

Ikaro, feel free to link this in your OP if you think it would make it easier for people.

Attachments

• EmptyFile.zip
    185.4 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: ZenDood and TEKHD

TEKHD

Great... will flash it right now and test it a few times... will post results... thank you!

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Ok! As I wrote in my previous post (#16) I created a file with polaris office (a word file with a word written at random) and I renamed it in ". hidenandroidprogress" so I saved in the dir "ClockworkMod / backup".
I think you can use any text editor (for example) to create the file, then renaming :)

Max

Okay... found the problem already... I was following this instructions and it says inside /ClockworkMod/Backup... is not there... lol dammmmn

I am not crazy! that's what it says there... 1st post is okay by the way...

Last edited:

Scarchunk

Sep 14, 2008
I was confused and told Ikaro he could link in the OP. Obviously he is not the OP. Oops. In any case the file I created is a true empty file. I don't believe that creating a file in a text editor and then simply renaming is quite the same.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I have ported the latest clockworkmod recovery to the galaxy 8.9 LTE i957 tablet.

This is a recovery and not a kernel, thus you can run whatever you wish.

Instructions:

0) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN I957, do not flash this otherwise.
    1) Flash this file via ODIN: CWMR5x_i957_recovery.tar.md5
    2) Attempt a backup (there appears to be a bug in 5.5.0.4 that long names can possibly cause it to hang during a backup.) If it works or fails, reboot and mount your tablet in your OS. If you get hung, adb shell into your device and reboot it.
    3) After your tab is mounted, go into the clockworkmod folder and create an EMPTY FILE with NO EXTENSION called .hidenandroidprogress

Note the period and lack of extension. This prevents the backup routine from enumerating the file list which I suspect is causing the hang during backup.

This is considered an ALPHA release with only two users thus far. No loss of data or damage was caused in the testing of this file. Please try it and report any issues you have with it. I am hoping this opens up the development for this device. I personally dont have it nor did I have access to one when I ported this so I need the community's help to track down issues/bugs. This was a pretty big challenge to get everything working right.

The full device tree I built for this can be found here:
    android_device_samsung_SGHI957
    Feel free to use this however you wish, though please give credit if it helps you devs.

Thanks to orlandoxpolice and jaywheelz for patiently testing this thus far.
    Restore works!!

Ok modestone this is for you (and for all).
    My actual SGH-i957 configuration:

Backup:

Wipe/factory reset:

Original SGH-i957 configuration:

Restore:

Et voilà, my original configuration:

Restore works!

Max

Here you go. This will write a 100 byte empty file to your CWM folder. Tested and works. You might be having trouble due to the way your creating the empty file. I created it in Win 7 via CL using the following command syntax: fsutil file createnew <name of your file> <size in bytes>.

I could create a zip to remove it if you really want, but I'd have to look up the syntax. Don't want to accidentally blow away your CWM directory:D Just as easy to delete it via root explorer.

Ikaro, feel free to link this in your OP if you think it would make it easier for people.
    Try to make a backup

First testing the backup, the tablet hangs while copying the file "android.hardware.location.xml"

So I created the file ".hidenandroidprogress" (with Polaris office) and I have saved in the dir "clockworkMod/backup." I tried again to backup and it worked.

Now I have to try a restore, but I will tomorrow or the next!

Max
    OP updated with alpha build