Xperia Z1 wireless charging?

Search This thread

Salik89

Sep 17, 2012
I have a Xperia Z1 and I was wondering if it is equipped with any functions that enables wireless charging (QI-enabled something)?
Tried googling but found no results other than some news on Xperia Z..

On the other hand, if Xperia Z1 does have it, is it possible to buy any wireless charging pad from ebay and charge it?

husky69

Oct 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
LG G6
Don't know about it,too, but I dug into that tech a while ago in orderto know about pros and cons.
I have to admit, it's a convenient technology to just lay your mobile onto that charger and get it charged.

But there are two big disadvantages from my point of view:

1. Low efficiency - the induction tech used has a small efficiency, so there's a big loss of energy
  2. Low charging power - the charging rate that is possible with the current tech is rather low, it takes AGES to have your phone fully charged, and I even read about people not getting any extra fuel because they used the phone during charge.
Personally speaking I like the magnetic charger plug for our phone a lot more, because it has hardly any loss and just takes a second to attach it, needing no closing of flaps upon removing.

Just my 2 cent

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
Don't know about it,too, but I dug into that tech a while ago in orderto know about pros and cons.
I have to admit, it's a convenient technology to just lay your mobile onto that charger and get it charged.

But there are two big disadvantages from my point of view:

1. Low efficiency - the induction tech used has a small efficiency, so there's a big loss of energy
  2. Low charging power - the charging rate that is possible with the current tech is rather low, it takes AGES to have your phone fully charged, and I even read about people not getting any extra fuel because they used the phone during charge.
Personally speaking I like the magnetic charger plug for our phone a lot more, because it has hardly any loss and just takes a second to attach it, needing no closing of flaps upon removing.

Just my 2 cent

I have a n4 as well. Charge time is marginally longer/slower. The info you have read is incorrect based upon my and other users that have used wireless charging.

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Free mobile app

Salik89

Sep 17, 2012
Thanks guys. I do own the magnetic cable (dismantle it for the cable), however it is a nuisance that the magnetic cable only works with the charger adaptor and not with the PC..

Been trying to find alternative ways to get my phone charged other than opening the flaps and I thought wireless charging may be a better idea

ravi_buz

Nov 18, 2010
Hyderabad
Thanks guys. I do own the magnetic cable (dismantle it for the cable), however it is a nuisance that the magnetic cable only works with the charger adaptor and not with the PC..

Been trying to find alternative ways to get my phone charged other than opening the flaps and I thought wireless charging may be a better idea

I use my magnetic cable to charge the phone via laptop and it works..not sure why not for u

mbp986

Oct 24, 2008
I have 2 of the magnetic cables: one is original from the sony DK-31 dock and the other from japan. Although the both look identical to one another, they function differently.

The original one doesn't charge from a laptop and has to be used with an adapter

The generic one charges from a laptop and can be used with an adapter, however in a laptop it charges significantly slower. Has to charge all night and it still won't be a complete full charge in the morning - it will be close to full.

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
1.) The Z1 does not have any sort of wireless charging built in.

2.) The Z1 will charge via PC USB connection, however the output of the USB cable varies based on the standard.

** USB 2.0 can charge at a rate of up to 750mAh with concurrent data transmission. Without data, the charge rate maxes out at 5A at 5V.
** USB 3.0 can charge at a rate of up to 900mAh with concurrent data transmission. Without data, the charge rate maxes out at 5A at 5V.
** USB 3.1 can charge at a rate of up to 900mAh with concurrent data transmission. Without data, the charge rate maxes out at 2A at 5V and up to 5A at 12V or 20V.

3.) Qi wireless chargers are slower than wall chargers as well. A typical Qi wireless charger transmits power at a rate of 750mAh at 5V.

To put this all in perspective, the standard wall charger that comes with the Z1 charges over USB 2.0 at a rate of 1.5Ah at 5V.

A PC USB connection will typically be 50% slower at charging than the stock wall charger for the Z1.

Salik89

Sep 17, 2012
Thanks all for the reply. Yup, my cable is inded the one from the Sony Charging Dock and hence it does not seems to be working with the computers unless it is paired with the adaptors.

At least now I know that Xperia Z1 does not comes with wireless modules.. Keep hoping that it may have. :)