Do flashing kernels and wiping cache wipe data?

Search This thread

isnip

Jun 13, 2014
Hi, I own a Nexus 4, just a quick nooby question..

Will flashing a custom kernel (thinking of Faux or Franco) and wiping cache and dalvik wipe data? The main reason I want to flash a custom kernel is to underclock to save battery life, and do these have profiles so I can leave it on low clock over night and normal clock during the day?

Rohit02

Sep 17, 2012
Pune

Will flashing a custom kernel (thinking of Faux or Franco) and wiping cache and dalvik wipe data? The main reason I want to flash a custom kernel is to underclock to save battery life, and do these have profiles so I can leave it on low clock over night and normal clock during the day?

Just flash the kernel dont wipe anything.. kernel never need flashing unless stated in op.

Reactions: isnip

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks for clarifying but in the OP it says to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache, and I meant from recovery not flashing, sorry haha. a little more clarification ;(

Same answer, you don't need to wipe anything in recovery if you're flashing a kernel. And wiping cache and dalvik will not wipe your data

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: isnip

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
you never ever have to wipe anything when flashing kernels. never. wiping dalvik/cache before flashing a kernel is the same as wiping your butt to fill your car up with gas. its just not needed. and for all those that write it in their op, they just dont know better.

Reactions: mkrevelations

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just flash the kernel dont wipe anything.. kernel never need flashing unless stated in op.
    Thanks for clarifying but in the OP it says to wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache, and I meant from recovery not flashing, sorry haha. a little more clarification ;(

Same answer, you don't need to wipe anything in recovery if you're flashing a kernel. And wiping cache and dalvik will not wipe your data

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
    you never ever have to wipe anything when flashing kernels. never. wiping dalvik/cache before flashing a kernel is the same as wiping your butt to fill your car up with gas. its just not needed. and for all those that write it in their op, they just dont know better.