Sleep of Death (SOD)

Search This thread

stevefxp

Oct 16, 2007
hey guys,
i had an sod EVERYTIME i send the device to suspend and waited more than one minute to wake it up. since i am cooking in

LEO_S_LockScreenAppLauncher_Default_Skin
LockScreenAppLauncher_1_0_20142921_00
LockDevice 1.6 (lock when screen off)

i never ever had a sod anymore (more than a week or so)
didnt try it without the LockScreenAppLauncher-packages, but maybe LockDevice 1.6 is helping??:confused:

lauchi

You really shouldnt have both. Remove LockScreenAppLauncher if you are using LockDevice.

voinea

Mar 31, 2010
hey guys,
i had an sod EVERYTIME i send the device to suspend and waited more than one minute to wake it up. since i am cooking in

LEO_S_LockScreenAppLauncher_Default_Skin
LockScreenAppLauncher_1_0_20142921_00
LockDevice 1.6 (lock when screen off)

i never ever had a sod anymore (more than a week or so)
didnt try it without the LockScreenAppLauncher-packages, but maybe LockDevice 1.6 is helping??:confused:

lauchi

since you're the first that i know to solve this problem, could you provide more details please?
thanks

Last edited:

lauchi

Mar 31, 2007
since you're the first that i know to solve this problem, could you provide more details please?
thanks

about 3 months ago, i started cooking my own roms for HD2. i never experienced a SOD before i was using build 23569 (source here). after updating my kitchen from build 23568 to 23569, i had the SOD-problem:

EVERYTIME i send the device to sleep and waited more than a minute to wake it up, i had an SOD.
strange thing was, that this only happend, when i locked my device before sending it to sleep. without locking my device, there was a 50% chanche, that there was no SOD.

so i decided to cook in the HTC lockscreen packages, just to see, what will happen. with the htc-lockscreen cooked there was a 50% chanche that no SOD will happen, when device was locked...strange:confused:

so i tried to find a solution to lock the device automaticaly everytime i send it to sleep, and found LockDevice.
since i am cooking in the htc-lockscreen and LockDevice, i never ever had a SOD again.

sorry, my english isn't that good, but i hope you understand everything.
maybe this will help you solve your SOD-problem

lauchi

voinea

Mar 31, 2010
lauchi, thanks for the info...i'm not a cooker, but i' gonna look into it...
by the way, to all cookers out there:
i'm offering my phone for experimenting since i can't do anything else with him...
just present a solution and i'll try it...
if it burns up, hope i'll make a video and post it for fun....

toadlife

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
Update - good news

As rgb-rgb sugested, I switched my ROM over from the HTC 2.07 OEM folders to the At&T tilt2 OEM folders. Since doing so, the SODs have only happened in one specific (and repeatable) scenario.

1) Extend the keyboard
2) Plug the phone in to charge
3) wait until the charging light goes green
4) Pull the plug out
5) Slide the keyboard back in (without turning the screen on first)
6) SOD!

If I turn the screen on before unplugging the charger and sliding the keyboard back in the SOD doesn't happen.

I can deal with this as I know how to prevent it.

I'm going to try a different power package (the one from the tilt ROM) and see if that fixes the SOD scenario I described above.

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
As rgb-rgb sugested, I switched my ROM over from the HTC 2.07 OEM folders to the At&T tilt2 OEM folders. Since doing so, the SODs have only happened in one specific (and repeatable) scenario.

1) Extend the keyboard
2) Plug the phone in to charge
3) wait until the charging light goes green
4) Pull the plug out
5) Slide the keyboard back in (without turning the screen on first)
6) SOD!

If I turn the screen on before unplugging the charger and sliding the keyboard back in the SOD doesn't happen.

Found out the cause of this. It was the "nuedynamicclock" app!

I removed nuedynamicclock from my ROM and I haven't had a SOD in weeks!

:)

cibaiciao

May 14, 2010
Hi guys,
I wanna share my experience how I can avoid SoD. I'm not sure what I did would help you avoid SoD, please don't blame me if it doesn't work for you.
Basically, we have to do HardSPL in order for us to flash the custom ROM. But when we do HardSPL, there are always two cases for us to choose. One is x.xxx.HSPL or x.xxx.0000
In order to flash custom ROM, I have to choose option x.xx.HSPL to flash the custom ROM ( the reason is because I want to flash custom ROM to avoid robot noise( I used Riki custom ROM))
Then I just did the same, copied Android to SD card and run.
(I used zimage on 07/23/2010)
But the thing is when I was in HSPL mode, the system is not stable. I always have trouble with either wifi, sound, green green, and SoD. Can you guys imagine, each time when I restart Android, I always got problems on those things. Then I remembered an article said, HSPL is not stable, switch to 0000.
Then I just flash HSPL to x.xx.0000, well, since then, I no longer have trouble with SoD.
(I used Froyo built on 07/26/2010)
Try to flash to stock ROM 0000 and see.
It did work for me, hope it would work for you.

fi3ry_icy

Apr 24, 2010
HTC One X
HTC Leo
Hi guys,
I wanna share my experience how I can avoid SoD. I'm not sure what I did would help you avoid SoD, please don't blame me if it doesn't work for you.
Basically, we have to do HardSPL in order for us to flash the custom ROM. But when we do HardSPL, there are always two cases for us to choose. One is x.xxx.HSPL or x.xxx.0000
In order to flash custom ROM, I have to choose option x.xx.HSPL to flash the custom ROM ( the reason is because I want to flash custom ROM to avoid robot noise( I used Riki custom ROM))
Then I just did the same, copied Android to SD card and run.
(I used zimage on 07/23/2010)
But the thing is when I was in HSPL mode, the system is not stable. I always have trouble with either wifi, sound, green green, and SoD. Can you guys imagine, each time when I restart Android, I always got problems on those things. Then I remembered an article said, HSPL is not stable, switch to 0000.
Then I just flash HSPL to x.xx.0000, well, since then, I no longer have trouble with SoD.
(I used Froyo built on 07/26/2010)
Try to flash to stock ROM 0000 and see.
It did work for me, hope it would work for you.

am i correct to say that u mean to say that to minimize SODs, we should run winmo using stock roms?

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
am i correct to say that u mean to say that to minimize SODs, we should run winmo using stock roms?

In the case of the Touch Pro 2, the SOD problems were definitely being caused by the drivers in the HTC 2.07 ROM. Both the official HTC 2.07 ROM and custom ROMs based on it exhibited the SOD. Earlier in the thread someone told me this, and sure enough, as soon as I replaced the HTC 2.07 drivers in my ROM with drivers from a different Touch Pro 2 ROM, the SOD stopped. I haven't had a since SOD in a month.

In the case of the HD2, my wife has never had a SOD with hers (her ROM is based on the T-Mobile US ROM) so if the HD2 is getting it I have no idea what the issue might be.

phramick

Apr 1, 2011
No more SOD

Dear HTC fans,

My Desire Z contracted SOD (sleep of death) disease since the last software update to Android 2.2.1

After many attempts to fix the problem with no avail, I came across a blog written by Whom I can no longer recall, however the solution was quite simple... disable all HTC Sense Sync except the tick box that says "Update when Opened" and change update schedule to "As items change (Push)"

No more sleep of death.
Hope this helps!

pm.

Sendrey

Oct 24, 2011
I'll tell you about my investigation SOD problems. I have the HTC HD2 with SD Android 2.3.7. Periodically, I have SOD. Sometimes this happens several times a day, sometimes a good week without a single SOD.
After extensive searching, I identified three main possible causes: proximity sensor, radio firmware, SD card.

Two weeks ago I had SOD began to happen very often, I have flashed radio from 2.11.50.20 to 2.15.50.14 and formatted SD card. Nearly two weeks after this was not a single SOD. Yesterday, however, SOD started again. No new software during this time are installing and system settings is not changed.

I guess is the SD card version. Ordered a new A-data 16Gb class6 (now Transcend 8Gb class6), a couple of weeks after the replacement card will write a report.

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
If your sd card is corrupted, you can definitely have device issues. Scan it, and see if there are errors on it. I've had corrupted usb-drives crash a PC before.

Sendrey

Oct 24, 2011
If your sd card is corrupted, you can definitely have device issues. Scan it, and see if there are errors on it. I've had corrupted usb-drives crash a PC before.

I scan my old 8Gb sd card using windows scan disk (via cardreader), and SKTools in WM6.5 - no errors.

This card is used 1.5 years, half of them in the wm and ~ year in Android (SD Build). SD Android builds make heavy load to SD, many write cycles. I think, after one year use, some sectors may have more than 100k write cycles and begin to wear. (100k proof: can't post url, check "Flash memory" article in Wiki)

PS: One day in new 16Gb SD, no one SOD, but too early for say anything.

PPS: Sory for my english. :)

Sendrey

Oct 24, 2011
My final report: I resolve SOD problem for me completely. After replace old Transcend 8Gb class 6 card to A-data 16Gb class 6 more month ago and no one SOD from this time.

I checking old SD card for errors (by SKTools in phone and scandisk via cardreader) and no errors founded. Now i'm use old SD card with SD-USB adapter and have no problem. N oidea, what happenet with old card, but fact: i have SOD with old card and no one SOD with new.

Old and new card 6 class, but new card much faster, Android SD build on my HD2 faster booting, wake up, responsing. I think, may be SOD cause in speed or latency time.

My advice to all, who are encounters SOD problem: try another SD card, faster is preffered.

Menjic

Nov 13, 2008
Bijeljina
You should always remove all cards and removable stuff to debug anything.

SOD can be in your caused by bad SD but mostly it is not.

From my experience SOD is usually bad BGA balls under CPU or bad non removable memory. Each of those 2 things are not repairable for us regular users and question is can anyone repair it without new main board and for price lower than buying new device.

My final report: I resolve SOD problem for me completely. After replace old Transcend 8Gb class 6 card to A-data 16Gb class 6 more month ago and no one SOD from this time.

I checking old SD card for errors (by SKTools in phone and scandisk via cardreader) and no errors founded. Now i'm use old SD card with SD-USB adapter and have no problem. N oidea, what happenet with old card, but fact: i have SOD with old card and no one SOD with new.

Old and new card 6 class, but new card much faster, Android SD build on my HD2 faster booting, wake up, responsing. I think, may be SOD cause in speed or latency time.

My advice to all, who are encounters SOD problem: try another SD card, faster is preffered.

nauman_waheed

Jul 30, 2012
Lahore
I hope it can fix to do this.....

Hi guys,

There is a lot of discussion at XDA about the Sleep of Death (SOD) where some devices do not wake up from suspend mode. I still did not figure out exactly which is the cause for this "disease" and I am sure there are plenty of members trying to understand this anoying issue.

I have read lots of complaints with cooked Roms but I also read a few posts from guys with stock roms with the same issue.

There are some opinions that using MTTY or Task 29 will solve SOD but unfortunatly there are still some members not so lucky and still have SOD.

Personally I dont have SOD in my device but there are some members using my cooked Rom and others that have experienced several times the Sleep of Death.

So, share your experience here, what do you think about SOD? what is causing this? How to solve this?

. Is it Windows Mobile leaked releases not dumped properly?
. Is it a Manila issue?
. Is it caused by 3rd party apps or Mods?
. Is it caused by several cooked Roms flashed on top of each other?
. Is it caused by damaged SDCards?
. Is it radio Version?
. Operator network?
. Or like someone said in my thread:
"SOD: Septo-optic dysplasia (SOD) is a rare disorder characterized by abnormal development of the optic disk, pituitary deficiencies, and often agenesis (absence) of the septum pellucidum (the part of the brain that separates the anterior horns or the lateral ventricles of the brain)." :D

What do you think?

Dear all my friends who facing the SOD (Sleep of Death) issue with their Android devices... i found that it is totally related to Wifi Sleep policy related... i just changed the setting last night n now after 8 hours its running fine... no SOD found till yet... i will also be inform u later if i will get my device out of SOD issue...

all of u just have to do one thing.
Go to settings>wifi settings>
from the options go to advanced settings
there is one option: Keep wi-fi on during sleep (go to this option)
there is 3 options: 1. Always, 2. Only when plugged in, 3. Never (increases data usage)
u just have to change ur option from 1 to 2 or 3, then i hope u will find that u will get ur device out of SOD issue...
Regards,
Nauman

(sorry for the poor english)

Note: if it works please hit the Thanks Button... please