[KERNEL] M-Kernel [MOVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Jay Aristide

Jun 27, 2011
Dyer, Tennessee
www.daede.com
"If you are on a stock-like 4.1.2 ROM that does not rely on a modified ramdisk (CM10, AOKP, etc.), flash one of the following zips and reboot before installing this kernel for the first time.
Stock 4.1.2 kernel - http://goo.im/devs/Metallice/Nexus7/...rnel_4.1.2.zip
Stock 4.1.2 kernel with Init.d support and insecure adb thanks to Faux123 - http://goo.im/devs/Metallice/Nexus7/...nitD_4.1.2.zip"

Maybe it is a language barrier, but your statement reads to me as in if you are running AOKP or CM10,u NEED TO flash one of the stock kernels and reboot before u flash your modified version. That is what I did. Flashed one of the stock kernels u linked and that did not boot up. Flashed your modified one to see if that would boot, and that didnt either.

Aye, 'tis a language barrier. He meant that CM10, AOKP and the likes are among those that require a modified ramdisk.

If you're running stock 4.1.2 or a ROM that doesn't include init.d support, then you should flash the stock with init.d support zip before flashing the motley kernel to give yourself init.d support. If you're running something like aokp or cm10, it requires it's own special ramdisk, and the one cm currently provides isn't proper.

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
Ran the terminal emulator commands on this latest AOKP nightly I am running and I do get the "discard" at the end. Flashed your modified kernel without doing the stock 1st and it boots up fine. Got it going. Thanks!

Reactions: Metallice

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
"If you are on a stock-like 4.1.2 ROM that does not rely on a modified ramdisk (CM10, AOKP, etc.), flash one of the following zips and reboot before installing this kernel for the first time.
Stock 4.1.2 kernel - http://goo.im/devs/Metallice/Nexus7/...rnel_4.1.2.zip
Stock 4.1.2 kernel with Init.d support and insecure adb thanks to Faux123 - http://goo.im/devs/Metallice/Nexus7/...nitD_4.1.2.zip"

Maybe it is a language barrier, but your statement reads to me as in if you are running AOKP or CM10,u NEED TO flash one of the stock kernels and reboot before u flash your modified version. That is what I did. Flashed one of the stock kernels u linked and that did not boot up. Flashed your modified one to see if that would boot, and that didnt either.

Ahh. Sorry. I guess it can be read in the opposite way I intended. I'll fix it.

Reactions: O2Blevel

cavaliere06

Jun 19, 2011
Thank you so much for your work, I love this kernel and I'm really happy I can use it with the latest aosp update, working well so far I'll update later.

An people please read and try to fix it yourself before complain, we don't want to make our developers angry.

Thanks again

clusterchuck

Aug 17, 2011
Seems great so far. Only thing I have noticed is that in the benchmark test, overclocking doesn't seem to accelerate the FPS in the 3D category. I'm at 1500ghz and still can't get over 59 FPS, where in the original motley kernel, I would get about 71 frames at that same cpu speed. That aside, everything is smooth. I appreciate your efforts!

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
Seems great so far. Only thing I have noticed is that in the benchmark test, overclocking doesn't seem to accelerate the FPS in the 3D category. I'm at 1500ghz and still can't get over 59 FPS, where in the original motley kernel, I would get about 71 frames at that same cpu speed. That aside, everything is smooth. I appreciate your efforts!

maybe related to this in the first post?
Removed pointless pixel clock increase. Does not improve performance. Decreases battery life and can either alleviate or exacerbate screen tearing. Only improved benchmarks on maxed out tests like quadrant or nenamark 2 by increasing screen refresh rate.

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010

That's a good thing. See above post.

Use basemark es 2.0 taiji to compare GPU overclocks since it isn't limited by screen refresh rate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

rootbrain

Jan 30, 2012
Basemark es 2.0 doesn't seem to be working for the N7. Getting 17.77 fps. Can't be right.

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
got a problem to report..

when i did a shutdown (by pressing the power button and selecting power off), the device shut down apparently normal..
however, when i tried to turned it on, it just stayed at the screen with google text and the unlocked icon (first boot screen)..
waited for 10 minutes and nothing happened.. at this point i pressed and held the power button for a few seconds and the device booted up normally..

tried 3 times and all got the above behaviour..

then tried 3 times to shut down, enter CWM, and reboot from there.. same problem..

my device is stock 4.1.2, with m-kernel (484 MHz) as well as FishingFon's circular battery mod applied..
also had a custom bootanimation at /data/local/

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

flashed the stock kernel available in the first post, rebooted twice and both times the problem was gone..

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Basemark es 2.0 doesn't seem to be working for the N7. Getting 17.77 fps. Can't be right.

That's the point! :victory: It's supposed to have a low FPS. That's better since we aren't hitting the 60fps screen refresh rate cap. With quadrant or nenamark2 you're always bumping into the 60fps ceiling which makes it difficult to see improvements as it distorts the average fps calculation because it essentially "chops" off anything above 60.

Optimally there would be a test that benches at around ~40fps but never approaches 60fps, as the greater the fps, the greater the resolution of the data, and the easier it is to see changes in fps due to various tweaks. Still ~20fps is better than hitting the 60fps ceiling. Unfortunately I am not away of any such test.

z31s1g

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 5, 2010
Munich
Thank you Metallice for keeping the kernel alive. However, i cant make it work on SlimRom. Checked the prerequisites, outcome below.

Flashed stock kernel, cleared caches, got bootloop. Flashing m-Kernel directly got me stuck at splash screen.

Did i miss something?

2atynese.jpg

C4H1LL

Aug 17, 2010
Running smoothrom 3.4, had bricked kernel and it was quick... for ****s I applied the 4.1.2 520 GPU OC kernel, and added jay's zram script, deleted the zram script that was in the init.d folder and wow, absolutely no lags.. prob the best set up I have had so far. No problems to report, will update with bench mark info as soon as I get around to running it. Good work!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

EDIT: ran quadrant benchmark, highest fps was 63, score was 4899. Not as high as the 218 kernel on 4.1.1 that was in the 7000's but def feels faster...

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
However, i cant make it work on SlimRom. (...) Flashed stock kernel

You shouldn't have flashed the stock kernel at all. It replaced SlimRom's ramdisk with the stock OTA one with init.d support which is obviously not compatible. Once you flashed that, flashing one of me kernels over top wouldn't fix anything as it keeps the current, and in this case, incompatible, ramdisk intact.

To fix this your going to have to flash SlimRom (+ gapps if necessary) over top to restore SlimRom's kernel+ramdisk, let it boot up, and then flash one of the motley-kernel classic zips over top of that.

z31s1g

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 5, 2010
Munich
You shouldn't have flashed the stock kernel at all...

Thanks for your quick reply. This time i'll be more precise.

slimrom all good > flashed stock kernel > boot loop
restored backup > all good > flashed m-kernel directly > stuck on splash

Should I flash rom again over restored backup (unnecessary?) before I flash m-kernel?
Afaik krarvind is using CM10 kernel for SOME devices, but could not find any information in the past changelogs about N7 kernel.
Is the verification via terminal 100% reliable to determine a roms compatibility with m-kernel?

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Trying this with Jay's Buttery Goodness, but I cannot get it to work because I cannot seem to find the location of the init.d directory? Trying /system/etc/init.d and /data/local/userinit.d but scripts in either directory are not run after reboot. Running the scripts manually from either directory works fine (swap and remounts stick). So, where should the init.d scripts be located?

[EDIT]
OK, that was plenty stupid. init.d is at /system/etc/init.d as it should. However, my busybox was installed in /system/bin instead of /system/xbin, so the init.d scripts were never found...

Last edited:

O2Blevel

Sep 15, 2012
Nice work Metallice. Thanks for taking the time to do this. No problems for me using 484Mhz GPU (balanced).

HoochieCoo

Dec 6, 2010
I originally ran the _motley kernel with no issues. I had been trying some of the other kernels, and couldn't escape the SODs. So far on this new version, I've had no problems (2 days since I flashed).

Stock 4.1.2, 446 GPU version, 1400/100. No voltage changes.

If this remains stable, I'll probably bump to the faster GPU versions.

Thanks a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How would you guys feel about me closing this thread and starting a new one in Android Original Development? It technically belongs there anyway, and I wouldn't mind reserving a couple more posts in the beginning for a FAQ and other stuff. Hopefully to stop any more "Why is my min stuck at 340MHz?!?" and others like it :)
    Working on a new OP for mr1... Finally got a simplified feature list/changelog... Need to clean it up some haha.

Probably forgot a lot of things too.

Basic feature list -

• based on latest google aosp tegra kernel source mr1.1 for android 4.2.2
    • optimized compiler flags
    • Latest linaro 2013 gcc toolchain
    • Dynamic EDP - enable edp cpu maximum frequency limits only above a certain temperature (motley)
    • CPU over clock up to 1.7GHz
    • GPU over clock up to 700MHz
    • Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
    • Default CPU voltages set to ID 3 levels
    • CIFS, NFS, NTFS, HFS, ZRAM, and more built in.
    • Runnable threads hot plugging
    • FSync control (Ezekeel)
    • Glibc memcpy and memmove
    • User configurable Wifi power management mode (PMFAST/PMMAX)
    • Deadline improvements for solid state drives
    • LP core overclock to 666MHz
    • Force high current charging over pc USB (imoseyon)
    • Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    • Fixed current_now property for current viewing apps
    • Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
    • Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
    • Faster LP -> G transitioning
    • Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
    • Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
    • Tweaked CFS parameters
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • Block: recursive merge requests
    • timer: optimize aplpy_slack()
    • Disabled GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS to improve performance
    • Balanced EDP frequency limits to be same across all cores
    • LowMemoryKiller asynchronous compaction and compaction when killing processes
    • allow use of a controller native max block size
    • optimized crypto algorythms
    • Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
    • Better hot plugging delays
    • Increase boost_up_threshold for AVP clock
    • kexec-hardboot support for multirom
    • minimum cpu performance loch for audio playback (faux123) with additional fixes
    • decreased minimum backlight level for better low light viewing
    • switch do_fsync() to fget_light()
    • Added latest BFQ I/O scheduler
    • Fix crash when unplugging OTG devices (intersectRaven)
    • Added Tegra high performance AHB memory driver with additional fixes and improvements
    • Input: Send one packet at a time
    • support for ROM built-in OTG support
    • Added latest ROW scheduler with additional patches and improvements
    • Set Core voltage to 0.95V in Low Power mode 1 for significant semi-idle battery savings
    • TCP congestion control with Westwood+ set as default
    • Disabled speaker dynamic range compression for improved speaker audio quality
    • Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
    • Many LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
    • Many, many scheduler improvements and optimizations
    • A million other patches, fixes, and improvements that I don't have the time or space to list
    Now, on to my status with this -
    As a quick fix, I will revert this patch for the next build. This should hopefully solve all issues with a33 including, but not limited to, SODs, reboots, and increased battery drain in LP1 (too little voltage, but not little enough to cause freezes/reboots, has been shown to actually cause increased battery drain as compensation).

Unfortunately I haven't been able to whip up a quick fix for a couple reasons.

For one, I have other responsibilities. I had a Physics midterm early today and had to spend time reviewing and studying. Also, my father purchased a new HDTV (very nice one, super jealous) and I had to help him go pick it up and transport it, unpack it, remove the old, gigantic, heavy as f---, rear projection DLP HDTV, set up/secure/mount the new one, situate all the cables with the FIOS box/DVD/AV receiver/Surround sound, reprogram the universal remote, set up the new smart tv capabilities with the internet and their internet video services, update the TV software, set up the 3d and 3d glasses, and teach them all how to use the new stuff.

Second, my computer broke. The graphics card started acting up, kept getting messages about it failing and successfully restarting until it no longer would successfully restart. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and the whole kitchen sink, but the card was dead and there was no way around it. Aren't laptops with their all-fused components wonderful :rolleyes:? To be honest four years is a decent run for a cheap 4-yo HP. Anyway, I need a computer for school so I got a new one as an early birthday present.

So I have a new computer now. First of all it's a macbook so I'm going to have to learn how to use OSX for one thing and get everything set up, and I'm going to have to re-make my kernel build environment from scratch which will take some time.

So hang tight please!