[Q] Non-branded Android car device - 3g modem problem

Search This thread

draqlek

Jul 1, 2014
It is my first post here, so forgive me any mistakes. I'm a newbie to Android.

I've been drifting throughout the Internet and XDA-developers forum to find a solution to my problem, but I can't find it. You are my only hope. Even original support can't help. I bought a non-branded Android device for my car in April 2014, specifically this one: (happyshoppinglife[.com] / honda-civic-android-autoradio-dvd-navigation-with-dtv-wifi-3g-p-1168[.html]). Since then I can't connect to the Internet using 3G modem.

It seems to have some tailor-made Android version, since normal tablets don't have a DVD or FM radio or wheel-buttons.

Recently the manufacturer/developer upgraded the Android to a version 4.4.2 (chinabatemon [.com] / cargpss / android-update-442.rar)
Precisely it is:
  • Model SNT-210
  • Android 4.4.2-0140516-sntb-HOMEMADE
  • Kernel 3.0101-gdaab9de-dirty
  • QDroid@DevServer #9
  • Build omnisntb-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H eng.QDroid.20140516.133512 test-keys
  • iGo 9.6.7.235654-Thin1.1

Manual: autoradiodvdgpstv [.com] / user-manual / car-dvd / android-car-dvd-player-cp1.pdf

Currently I have 3g modems: Huawei E220 (VID 12d1:1003, PID 12d1:1003), Huawei K3770 (VID 12d1:14d1, PID 12d1:14c9), ZTE MF626 (VID 19d2:2000, PID 19d2:0031), Huawei E230 (VID 12d1:1003, PID 12d1:1003)

Wifi works fine, but I need 3g..

[EDIT]

I have no root access:
1|u0_a10@SNT-210: / $
after doing "su":
u0_a10@SNT-210: / $

I'm probably unable to root the device because I cannot connect to it (I got a cable: USB type A - USB type A, but it didn't work: no response from Android device nor from my laptop). After clicking "Build number" once (in the "About CarDVD" menu) it shows "No need, you are already a developer", but there are no "developer options" in the Settings menu.

There is the app "3g reconnect" already installed in the system, but after I connect a modem (E230, E220 or K3770) with working SIM (no PIN) in "Plus" (MCC 260 MNC 01) its LED is blinking green, and then blue after a while (one blink per 3-5 sec) but the system remains unchanged. The support (the Chinese via chat, not very nice experience talking: an hour waiting for response) said I .

I tried PPP Widget to help me, as well as Android Terminal and Slick USB 2 Serial Terminal.

I set PPP widget to start manually, set APN to "internet", left number to dial unchanged, no user, no password. After booting without 3g modem, PPP Widget starts and I connect the modem to a USB port. I click on the PPP icon, choose my E230 modem (12d1:1001) and I click connect. PPP Widget searches for the port and tries to connect.

When I turn on logging, portcheck.log says:

== START LOG ==
PPP Widget version 1.3.3
USB_ModeSwitch log from {date}
Raw args from udev: 1-1.1/portcheck

using top device dir /sys/bus/usb/device
SymLinkCheck called with /sys/bus/usb/ttyUSB0

My name is ttyUSB0

Checking my endpoints ...
in /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.1/1-1.1:1
checking ep_81 ...
ep_81 has interrupt transfer type

--> I am an interrupt port

--> No interrupt interface below me

{something was here}
== END LOG ==

When I check the Android Settings (Mobile status) there is:
Network: unknown
Signal strength: 2147483647 dBm 255 asu
Mobile network type: Unknown
Service state: Out of service
IMEI: {my SIM's IMEI}
IMEI SV: Unknown
IP address: Unavailable
WiFi MAC address: {some MAC address}

When I turn Android Terminal it goes:
lsusb:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8176
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:1003
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04e8:6860

Sometimes There is Bus 001 Device 005 instead of 007 by 12d1:1003

When I try to use Slick USB 2 Serial Terminal it connects to the modem and answers all the AT commands:
ATI
Huawei
E230
Rev. 11.104.20.00.00
IMEI...
+GCAP: +CGSM +DS +ES

AT+CSQ

AT^SYSINFO

AT+COPS=?
(1,"Plus","PLUS","26001",0), (2,"Plus","PLUS","26001",2) ... {and other}

AT+COPS?
0,2,"26001",2

I can swich the modem's mode:
AT^U2DIAG=0
the default was AT^U2DIAG=257
After switching to AT^U2DIAG=0 the modem seems to be recognised by lsusb as 12d1:1001

I tried to connect manually:
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
ATD *99***1#
.. and it returned CONNECTED

but when I went back to the home screen and tried to check if there is Internet access (I turned on Chrome), there was no Internet access, but I have to revise this once more.

Last edited:

alfo79

Jul 12, 2014
hi i'm italian and my english is bad, i've buy your same model but i have some problems because i've a short manual only for radio,bt,cd parts.
i want a complete manual to understand the several application infact i don't know which is the app for 3g, if is it possible to use logo of car, why when connect my phone (samsung s5) with bt when download the contacts remain in working without finish.

if i can help me, it is wonderful

thank you in advance

by
alfonso

draqlek

Jul 1, 2014
3g problem => APN list & rooting problem

hi i'm italian and my english is bad, i've buy your same model but i have some problems because i've a short manual only for radio,bt,cd parts.
i want a complete manual to understand the several application infact i don't know which is the app for 3g, if is it possible to use logo of car, why when connect my phone (samsung s5) with bt when download the contacts remain in working without finish.

if i can help me, it is wonderful

thank you in advance

by
alfonso

HI, alfonso.

Answering to your questions:

1) I've had many problems, which I had to solve mysfel or using chat-support (It was not a pleasant experience, each talk lasted forever..)

2) There is no "a complete manual" for SNT-210. I can only share the one I got from Happyshoppinglife => Manual

3) Changing logo: there should be an application to do that, but in my case the user should enter a password, which was "121212" and could choose the logo for your car

4) I had the issue with downloading the contacts from my phone via BT either. I didn't resolve it, I just quit doing that (downloading contacts). The problem was probably too much records in the phonebook. But synchronising the Android's phonebook with Google Account might be a solution. But.. there is a 3g / wifi connection required, which I still don't have.

Sholud you have any more questions, don't hesitate to write.

Regarding the 3g connection problem:

I am still struggling with the 3g modem case. I found out (thanks to arnoldziq) that my 3g modem is ok (there are modem drivers in Android 4.4.2, Android finds the modem and the usb port the modem is attached to). All the problems may result from a wrong APN list in \system\etc\apns-conf.xml. In my case there is

Code:
<apn carrier="PlusGSM" mcc="260" mnc="01" apn="internet" type="default,supl" />

but it should be

Code:
<apn carrier="Plus" mcc="260" mnc="01" apn="internet" type="default,supl" />

But the next problem is - it is not editable (the device is not rooted). And I tried to root the device using a shor tutorial by an XDA user KID52 for a similar device. I connected both: the device and my laptop to a router so that both devices see each other (ping confirms that). I installed ADB ("15 seconds ADB v1.3.exe" from here) on my laptop. Then I tried to connect. In my cmd (laptop) I run:

Code:
C:\Users\Grreg>adb connect 192.168.170.3
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
unable to connect to 192.168.170.3:5555

C:\Users\Grreg>adb devices -l
List of devices attached

C:\Users\Grreg>adb tcpip 5555
error: device not found

I tried to install adbWireless.apk in the CarDVD device and run the commands again. Without chnage. I read that in order to use adb via Wifi / TCPIP you have to be connected with an USB cable. But I tried, and I can't do it - neither device noticed the connection with USB type A plug - USB type A plug cable.

A question to XDA users: is there an alternative way to root the device? Or am I doing something wrong?

alfo79

Jul 12, 2014
Hi, thank for your assistance
now I'm having another problem, the car is connected to an external display, if I insert a USB stick containing a movie in automatic start a program to read music only, if I use an app for Android naturally from the external screen is impossible see anything ... is there a way to watch movies from usb directly with some programs of the car without using the app of android?
In fact there is a program for dvd....a program for aux in....a program for usb and a program for sd card (this last I have not used yet, infact I don't know is a program for music or movies ...I hope the second!!)

You know something about?

Scuse me for my bad english

thank you

draqlek

Jul 1, 2014
Hi, thank for your assistance
now I'm having another problem, the car is connected to an external display, if I insert a USB stick containing a movie in automatic start a program to read music only, if I use an app for Android naturally from the external screen is impossible see anything ... is there a way to watch movies from usb directly with some programs of the car without using the app of android?
In fact there is a program for dvd....a program for aux in....a program for usb and a program for sd card (this last I have not used yet, infact I don't know is a program for music or movies ...I hope the second!!)
Hi,
what do you mean by "external display"? my device (youtube.com/watch?v=sEJMvUQhTJA) does not provide an option to connect an external screen - no DVI/HDMI output (maybe some AUX out, but I did not check that) - what would you need one for?

After iserting an SD card (or connecting a USB plug with SD reader or USB Flash memory) Android autimatically turns on a music app, but if you want to watch a movie, just close it and browse to the sdcard / flash using for instance "ES File Explorer File Manager" (I had it preinstalled), then when you see your file, click on it and choose an app you want to opent the file with, MX Player is one of the most popular (I had it preinstalled). is that what you needed?

alfo79

Jul 12, 2014
i have your same software but the car device is different, i can connect an external display for person behind for example, but if i use an app of android to red movies on usb the external display doesen't receive nothing; infact if i use dvd ,or tv connet on aux ,i riceive them on external display.

Is strange that automatically device usa a program only for music fo usb or sd card....is not possible to instal a program (no app android) for use them to see movies?

biscoito1r

Sep 27, 2014
I found a Russian forum where they've been discussing about this device, there is a lot of information and they are way ahead of us, the URL is
4pda dot ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=578873
you can find the latest firmwares for this device here
pan.baidu dot com/share/link?uk=1529874287&shareid=2934645460#dir/path=%2FCUSP%2FCSDVI-4.4.2[/url] ,
the Malay version always seems to be released first, and instructions on how to update can be found here
cusptech dot com/index.php?c=service