Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: Would you risk donating $5.00 for dual-boot capability?

Maybe a pledge? People donate to an administrator and once the goal is complete and the thing is done the dev can receive his money. He has to pony up the money first and complete the work and then he gets paid. He only has to start once the pledge is 100%

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Thanks
That's a good thought but I don't think it will be an option for him. I already asked if he could pay more up front if I could gather more "after complete" donation promises.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT

He also arguably stole his work on the rezound from a dev who wishes to not be named on this forum who was far more mature about the matter than Joelz was.

He then as mentioned tried to sell the rezound for personal profit instead of donating it to another dev. I got bashed for calling him out on that in the rezound forums. He got a nexus which I dunno what happened there as I never went to that phone. He then got a GSIII and spent months making pure AOSP. I am pretty sure I did more work for the GSIII by figuring out how to deodexe the stock ROMs at the beginning than Joelz has done for the GSIII over all. I didn't get a phone donated to me.

He really is the reason I won't even think twice about not donating for work unseen.

I also would like to point out when I called him out for failing to support the rezound and bringing out releases that were full of bugs he admitted I was right. I also had mods (who I won't name) who admitted he was pulling things over on anyone more than once, but that they couldn't do anything about it other than stop donation threads.

He also always seems to be in school. Says he focuses on school to get good grades yet he is always in summer school every year too.

Shady.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

This thread is not about Joelz...

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

This statement means your missing the point. The point is joelz has thousands of people who will vouch for him yet the actions I listed still stand.

Work first donations second.

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011

This statement means your missing the point. The point is joelz has thousands of people who will vouch for him yet the actions I listed still stand.

Yup I can attest to all nosympathy has said. Was present for that as well. He stole work like his day job. And as he said was always "busy with school" LOL damn fraud. We're right to be skeptical of donate threads is all he's saying

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Yup I can attest to all nosympathy has said. Was present for that as well. He stole work like his day job. And as he said was always "busy with school" LOL damn fraud. We're right to be skeptical of donate threads is all he's saying

He has been ranting about what Joelz did. This thread is about what DerTeufel1980 can do for our device. As I mentioned, if you think the capability would be good then do a little research on what DerTeufel1980 has done for the SamSung Captivate. He has been developing for a LONG time. You can't let one rotten apple spoil it for everyone. This is not asking for a blind donation for someone that has no track record. DerTeufel1980 has a GOOD track record and hasn't burned people. Do you consider all DEVs to be crooks until proven otherwise?.... Before posting all kinds of negative comments, please just research if the person it is for can be trusted.

Reactions: hopesrequiem

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

He has been ranting about what Joelz did. This thread is about what DerTeufel1980 can do for our device. As I mentioned, if you think the capability would be good then do a little research on what DerTeufel1980 has done for the SamSung Captivate. He has been developing for a LONG time. You can't let one rotten apple spoil it for everyone. This is not asking for a blind donation for someone that has no track record. DerTeufel1980 has a GOOD track record and hasn't burned people. Do you consider all DEVs to be crooks until proven otherwise?.... Before posting all kinds of negative comments, please just research if the person it is for can be trusted.

You are missing the point entirely. If you did outside research on joelz he looks like he produces a lot of ROMs, has a ton of thanks, and is well respected and listed as an XDA developer. This is not the case at all for those of us who have seen what he has done.

Your asking us to do the same with this dev. Yes he may be upfront and honest, but let's just say he gets the device and runs, are you going to pay everyone back the money donated?

Let's say he cannot get the kernel to work as he has already said a few things that lead me to believe he doesn't 100% know what he is doing for this phone, what does he do with the phone he has? Give it to another developer? Sell it and give us our money back? If he gives it to another developer how do we decide who gets it?

*I want to point out my statement of he doesn't know what he is doing for this phone as by his kernel statements with AOSP. The fact he thought AOSP and the MFG UI'd roms should run on the same kernel only because of Motorola devices and not understanding that this is not true AOSP is kind of alarming. I've never seen another mfg brand phone run the same kernel for AOSP and their MFG UI. That is a characteristic of Motorola only as of the boot loaders and they have to run a crappy "port" of AOSP. Yet he says he owns a Samsung phone and didnt know this.

Doesn't mean he won't figure it out but that is kind of a huge part of kernel development and kind of alarming.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
In my case I am always in class.

That said I do work before asking and I finish what I say before disappearing for weeks to months.

So I sympathize. Of course I am not a snotty nosed kid, either. Age does matter here because it reflects a certain amount of maturity.

Work first knowing that people will compensate you. That or build an app for it to flash or something and throw it on the store for a buck or two.

kejar31

May 24, 2010
...this right here...I mean....come on now...

I've never had a phone that could use the same kernel for both AOSP and touchwhiz/sense/motoblur/whatever.

And I've had a lot of phones...

Well, not tryng to get in the middle of this drama or anything but i did want to point out that this kernel for the 9300 http://www.gokhanmoral.com/ uses the same source for both AOSP and TW.. That is a 9300 kernel which is the base for all Note 2 kernels. Fact is both TW and AOSP kerrnels come from the same source.. its the ramdisk and sometimes drivers that differ.. In the case of our phone AOSP uses a different video driver. Although this will most likly change with 4.2 release of TW

Last edited:

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL

I know we are all saying show some work before donating first but this is same way myself and the sprint community got sbrissen a Verizon GNote2. Some people were skeptical about him and being able to bring AOSP but look where we are now. Tons of AOSP ROMs all because we were able to get him a device. I can't personally vouch for this dev since I've never used any of his work lol but it doesn't mean he's not good for it. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
I know we are all saying show some work before donating first but this is same way myself and the sprint community got sbrissen a Verizon GNote2. Some people were skeptical about him and being able to bring AOSP but look where we are now. Tons of AOSP ROMs all because we were able to get him a device. I can't personally vouch for this dev since I've never used any of his work lol but it doesn't mean he's not good for it. Just my 2 cents.

I'd have to ask, but I think that he was already nearing having it done for other devices even with this one sight unseen, so that is a little different.

Here, we are talking about something that may not even be possible for the person to do, and may take months before results are seen.

Hence the skittish behavior.

Imnuts as another example only needed a little help, not a full retail donation, and had already been instrumental in releasing the first and only 100% stock signed RTM Odin for this device.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011

Not yet no. I don't think it works even for the s3 yet

imablackhat

Sep 15, 2005
www.zevink.com
Re: I will loan the rest - Please include donation promises for AFTER dual-boot works

Idk why someone doesnt "lose" they're phone. Pay the 100 dollar deduct and mail him.

Cheapest efficient method.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OP Updated

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    Update 5/13/13 - This is DerTeufel1980's thread for the kernel which works for both AOSP and TW. Dual-boot is not yet working yet though. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453

FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, but here's the thing:

You don't ask for my services - you just get them when I feel the need. Ya feel me? ;) I also take contracting jobs, but mostly I just inject myself where I see the need.

So much to work with here. Where do I start?:D