[MOD]Superwipe

Search This thread

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
This is a modified wipe. What does it do? It prepares your phone for flashing a new ROM, or an updated ROM where the developer has requested a full wipe.

This zip will wipe /boot /data /system /cache and /devlog. Dalvik-cache is stored in /data so it gets wiped with /data.
It will then reformat those partitions optimally, which should give a slight increase in filesystem speeds. YMMV, seems to be a definite improvement for me, but could be placebo.

Credit for the Format options to TrevE as noted in the zip file.

Note: This is a COMPLETE ROM wipe. The only things it leaves alone are your SD Card(s). I recommend using this before flashing a new ROM. I also recommend you nandroid just in case.

Also if using TWRP, under settings, tell it to use rm -rf for restores, or it will overwrite the format options that are set up.

I take no responsibility if your phone explodes in your hand, burns down your house and eats your dog.

Nor do I take any responsibility for anything else. Use at your own risk.

Let me know if there are any issues please.

Edit: Updated Superwipe. Now wipes /boot, and all extraneous pauses have been removed.

Attachments

• smw6180_superwipe.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 15,204
Last edited:

maxdamage2122

Nov 16, 2007
I never understood the point of these zips. Custom recoveries can do everything these do.

For example:
Factory reset/data wipe formats both /data and /cache
Then when you flash a Rom zip it will format /system and completely overwrite /boot

For me personally its just extra steps to flash something else.

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
I never understood the point of these zips. Custom recoveries can do everything these do.

For example:
Factory reset/data wipe formats both /data and /cache
Then when you flash a Rom zip it will format /system and completely overwrite /boot

For me personally its just extra steps to flash something else.

Mmmhmm. I typically agree with you. However it's actually easier (and fewer steps) to flash one zip then to manually do each one.

And you should always wipe system anyhow. Sometimes devs make mistakes and forget to wipe /system. Doesn't hurt anything to manually wipe /system.

For the record I normally wipe manually in recovery, but enough people had asked for a wipe zip that I made one.

This one doesn't do that silly 'wipe 3 times' stuff...that has never been necessary, though hundreds of people will say I'm wrong. It just does one good format on each filesystem that's necessary for a clean flash.

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Is this device specific

Since partition IDs change from device to device, I'd say yes.

If you were thinking of using it on the HTC One X for example I'd advise against it, since I don't know that the partitions are laid out the same way.

For the wipe it doesn't matter what ROM you're on, but it DOES matter what PHONE you're on. :)

Reactions: Riff76

.Gibson.

Mar 24, 2012
Chicago
Sorry I'm coming from a tablet where the sdcard was mounted on /data/media. I figured it was the same here.

Sent from my El Tevo

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Sorry I'm coming from a tablet where the sdcard was mounted on /data/media. I figured it was the same here.

Sent from my El Tevo

Nope. Or at least not on my phone, which is reasonably stock (ViperROM).

Obviously I'm hoping people do their normal nandroids before wiping their phones, but if anyone DOES run into anything that isn't right I'd appreciate it being brought to my attention so I can fix it. :)

Reactions: Riff76

guih

Jan 5, 2011
This is awesome. Sorry, but just to be clear what does the OP mean by switching a setting in TWRP recovery for restores?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a modified wipe. What does it do? It prepares your phone for flashing a new ROM, or an updated ROM where the developer has requested a full wipe.

This zip will wipe /boot /data /system /cache and /devlog. Dalvik-cache is stored in /data so it gets wiped with /data.
    It will then reformat those partitions optimally, which should give a slight increase in filesystem speeds. YMMV, seems to be a definite improvement for me, but could be placebo.

Credit for the Format options to TrevE as noted in the zip file.

Note: This is a COMPLETE ROM wipe. The only things it leaves alone are your SD Card(s). I recommend using this before flashing a new ROM. I also recommend you nandroid just in case.

Also if using TWRP, under settings, tell it to use rm -rf for restores, or it will overwrite the format options that are set up.

I take no responsibility if your phone explodes in your hand, burns down your house and eats your dog.

Nor do I take any responsibility for anything else. Use at your own risk.

Let me know if there are any issues please.

Edit: Updated Superwipe. Now wipes /boot, and all extraneous pauses have been removed.
    Updated zip in OP. Now wipes /boot and all pauses are removed.

Tested:
    Ran zip
    Install ViperROM 1.2
    Booted no issues.
    I'm curious why you're not wiping /boot? Is it because we currently don't have any custom kernels?

+1

~ TF101 on Revolver4.1.1
    Currently OC'ed to 1.4, with Guevor's latest

Yep. Plus most roms wipe boot.

However until we get new kernel source I didn't want to mess with /boot...every ROM (aside from the CM9 variants) uses the same kernel right now. Any that don't (like the CM9 variants or freeza's hacked version) will wipe/install boot properly.

Imagine a ROM without a boot install, or a botched boot install and a superwipe that took out /boot before the ROM flash. Everyone would think I bricked their phones.

I'll update the post in the OP once we have kernel source, and I'll also 'officially' remove the 20 second pause at that point as well.

Edit: Bah, screw it. Phone's been out long enough. I'm doing a new version with the /boot wipe and extraneous pauses removed. I'll add it to the OP when I'm done.
    thanks man
    loving the support this phone is getting so far

No sweat. :)
    This is awesome. Sorry, but just to be clear what does the OP mean by switching a setting in TWRP recovery for restores?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

By default in twrp it's set up to format your partitions prior to doing a nandroid restore. The default format that TWRP uses overwrites the optimizations that are built into the superwipe.

There is a setting (under advanced I believe) to use 'rm -rf' for wiping prior to a nandroid restore. If you use that you don't lose the optimizations.