[12/25] nueGPSSecurity 1.2

Search This thread

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
tested alarm feature, getlink. To stop the alarm you need to use command <stopalarm> not <alarmoff>, apparently. Getlink worked perfectly - will have to test some more on my phone, I think it had to wait for the GPS to be activated by another program before it was able to send the link. I've got a HTC vogue w/ wm 6.1 unlocked w/ custom ROM, it's a known issue that some programs need the GPS to be primed before they can access it. Will test some more and post back.

jhw549

Jul 19, 2008
Clifton, NJ
twitter.com
tested alarm feature, getlink. To stop the alarm you need to use command <stopalarm> not <alarmoff>, apparently. Getlink worked perfectly - will have to test some more on my phone, I think it had to wait for the GPS to be activated by another program before it was able to send the link. I've got a HTC vogue w/ wm 6.1 unlocked w/ custom ROM, it's a known issue that some programs need the GPS to be primed before they can access it. Will test some more and post back.
That's funny I didn't even notice the command was wrong, I assumed it was stopalarm in the first place...
no2chem I have one little recommendation, since the alarm function doesn't need to be hidden from the user how about a little pop up like nueLight2 did and have an alarm off button available so you don't need to wait on sending a text to the unit to end it. Aside from that great addition to the program.

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
That's funny I didn't even notice the command was wrong, I assumed it was stopalarm in the first place...
no2chem I have one little recommendation, since the alarm function doesn't need to be hidden from the user how about a little pop up like nueLight2 did and have an alarm off button available so you don't need to wait on sending a text to the unit to end it. Aside from that great addition to the program.

I see the advantage to that, however if someone else has my phone and I want to find it and not have them turn off the alarm, the button might be counter productive.

jhw549

Jul 19, 2008
Clifton, NJ
twitter.com
I see the advantage to that, however if someone else has my phone and I want to find it and not have them turn off the alarm, the button might be counter productive.
quite true, but if I had the phone, that alarm went off, and I wanted it to shut up so people wouldn't find out I had a 'misappropriated' phone, I would shut the damned thing off or pop out the battery lol

mikeeey

Feb 17, 2007
Everett, Washington
awesome software! thanks so much! I've always wanted an anit theft program where you can actually communicate with the software, rather than having to wait till the theif takes out the sim card.

It found my location.. well.. almost.. it said my phone was in the car in my backyard.. however we're having a blizzard today, it's really cloudy and snowy.

great work!:D

Last edited:

no2chem

Jul 18, 2007
doesn't install in my WM5 device.

Is it WM6 only?

I compiled it against WM6 SDK, so it might be.

Be sure that your rom has the MS GPSID removed.

I'll take a look at the incorrect command, I might have two options, "hiddenalarm" and "alarm"... thanks for the suggestion.

tatnai

Jul 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, USA
I'll take a look at the incorrect command, I might have two options, "hiddenalarm" and "alarm"... thanks for the suggestion.

I think that is a great idea; the command list gets longer . . . lol - I don't think currently all of the commands are returned with the "help" command, btw.

Shohan

Jun 15, 2007
I have a security related question regarding this. And this is in no way meant to be an insult to you No2Chem. I've had great experiences with your other stuff.

Basically, what is going on with the track command? Is this sending my phones coordinates to your server? Are these coordinates being deleted after so long? Is there any way for anyone else to view my location? I'm sure everyone may be starting to see my concerns now.

For example I followed the link to your website for Track, http://www.nuerom.com/nuedonate/gpslocator.aspx. Understand that I DO NOT have this program installed on my Touch Pro right now and am running the stock Sprint ROM. I logged in with my username and password and received the following webpage:

MOD EDIT: Removed Personal GPS data caused by a bug

Who's phone is this? There is no phone listed in the drop down menu. Why would I even see this if the app ins't installed on my phone, I haven't grabbed a new token, and nothing should be associated with my account. I would imagine that it should display nothing or an error.

Again, I'm not trying to instult anyone or insinuate any criminal intent here. Just pointing out issues that I feel are security risks. I hope they're not. This sounds like a great idea for theft and lost phones, but could this be a hole for someone to get tracking information? Think if you could track someone with this you could kidnap, stalk, *. Sorry for being overly negative on the effects this software could have, but it's not a perfect world and in reality all possibilities with this software/information should be explored and though through.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiger02

Jun 26, 2007
Ok just tested out the software and it intercepts the texts and notified me but did not send any gps results.. Also tried the alarm and it worked well but the stopalarm didnt work. Eventually it replied with alarm is off but it was still beeping ...

dewild1

Jan 6, 2005
www.virusSWAT.com
I have been trying to get it to work, but no luck. Then I stupidly deleted the regkeys.. Reinstalled but they were not recreated.. The pin one and the 3AFFFFFF-673C-494c-98A2-CC2E91A481FF do not come back after uninstall then reinstall..

The pin one was never there and I noticed that when I uninstalled the reg key under HKLM\software was still there.. So, dererr dder da deerr, I deleted it..
When I did have it installed correctly, I sent texts and it did not intercept.

dewild1

Jan 6, 2005
www.virusSWAT.com
I put keys back in manually, it intercepted this time.. Will test and donate soon. Got a reply.. Testing GPS.. Now......... (Verizon HTC Touch pro GPS hack ver2.0)... still waiting.. (Live reporting here, LOL).....

Its been 10 min, I did status again, gps on, but no fix.. With the Verizon GPS HTC Touch Pro ver. 2 hack.. It may not work.. (unless you prime the GPS) :-(
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49933
Is there any way to set up the GPS port and speed? That seemed to help Google maps..
Maybe that will be enough to jump start it..

avarilone

Sep 21, 2007
Hypothetical situation: if someone stole your phone, and they received a text that said "!nuegps0000 start" or "!nuegps0000 track", wouldn't they be able to figure out that an external user is trying to acquire the phone's position and just shut it off? Given this is assuming a reasonably smart thief, but still. That leads to my next question: can the commands be placed anywhere in a text, i.e. "hey what's up, going to the bar tonight, the address is 13223 main, see you there !nuegps0000 getpos" That way, the commands could be masked at the end of a normal looking text so that when the thief first glances at the text and assumes it's from one of the person's friends, they just ignore it and don't think much of it. If this is not currently possible, is it something that could be implemented? Or is it possible to intercept the command before it is displayed on the screen and change the text to read something less conspicuous to the thief? (I realize that the former of these two ideas is most likely much more feasible and less time consuming than the latter, but I'm not a programmer so I don't want to assume what is and isn't possible.)

Maybe this issue has already been addressed and I missed it, but if not, I just wanted to throw this idea out there.

dewild1

Jan 6, 2005
www.virusSWAT.com
Hypothetical situation: if someone stole your phone, and they received a text that said "!nuegps0000 start" or "!nuegps0000 track", wouldn't they be able to figure out that an external user is trying to acquire the phone's position and just shut it off? Given this is assuming a reasonably smart thief, but still. That leads to my next question: can the commands be placed anywhere in a text, i.e. "hey what's up, going to the bar tonight, the address is 13223 main, see you there !nuegps0000 getpos" That way, the commands could be masked at the end of a normal looking text so that when the thief first glances at the text and assumes it's from one of the person's friends, they just ignore it and don't think much of it. If this is not currently possible, is it something that could be implemented? Or is it possible to intercept the command before it is displayed on the screen and change the text to read something less conspicuous to the thief? (I realize that the former of these two ideas is most likely much more feasible and less time consuming than the latter, but I'm not a programmer so I don't want to assume what is and isn't possible.)

Maybe this issue has already been addressed and I missed it, but if not, I just wanted to throw this idea out there.

Your geeking out dude! LOL JK..
I think it hides any text with the code-key in it..

jhw549

Jul 19, 2008
Clifton, NJ
twitter.com

if the application is working properly the text should not appear on the screen, it should be intercepted by the application. I tested it on my phone, mine works properly, when I send it a command it doesn't show anything on my phone. Granted it does light up but that's about it.