[Q] horrible battery life since KitKat update Sprint g2.

Search This thread

DopePedaler

Nov 30, 2013
Any other g2 users having major battery issues? Sprint g2, some apps and bloatware frozen/removed. Rooted as well. Battery dropped 38 percent in 4 hours with little to no use. Location services are off. Shows that android operating system using around 40 percent. Any idea of what is causing this? So far, not loving the update and the issues its having.

sudosurootdev

Jan 23, 2014
Melbourne, Florida
Absolutely not... Quite the opposite. I'm on a custom ROM but I used ZV7 ZV8 & ZVA before with no issues. That's one great thing about the G2 is the Snap Dragon processors are great on the battery, a charge lasts a long time and the battery never gets hot even with constant tethering and heavy usage. You should try the Snap Dragon battery guru app in the play store at: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app which is great for saving juice. Or takes a couple days to get full effect cause it learns your patterns and stops apps from refreshing during times when you don't use them, cuts of WiFi and or data during times when you aren't using it. Also I'd check your battery usage stats and see what processes are draining it the most. Is most likely an app or 2 draining a lot of your battery, so the battery guru will stop that from happening during times that you don't use those apps.

Sent from my LS980 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: DopePedaler

bigpappa

Jan 24, 2011
Buffalo
Its very common after a firmware update for a battery to go outta whack. It may be that you need to recalibrate it. After any firmware update its adviseable to so a factory reset at 100% battery level. Then use your phone normally till the battery dies and phone shuts down. Plug in the phone and let it charge to 100% while off. Turn it on, and use it till the batt dies again. Repeat charging to 100% with phone off.

That may solve your issue. Fully cycle the battery 2x.

DopePedaler

Nov 30, 2013
Absolutely not... Quite the opposite. I'm on a custom ROM but I used ZV7 ZV8 & ZVA before with no issues. That's one great thing about the G2 is the Snap Dragon processors are great on the battery, a charge lasts a long time and the battery never gets hot even with constant tethering and heavy usage. You should try the Snap Dragon battery guru app in the play store at: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app which is great for saving juice. Or takes a couple days to get full effect cause it learns your patterns and stops apps from refreshing during times when you don't use them, cuts of WiFi and or data during times when you aren't using it. Also I'd check your battery usage stats and see what processes are draining it the most. Is most likely an app or 2 draining a lot of your battery, so the battery guru will stop that from happening during times that you don't use those apps.

Thank you @bigpoppa and @sudosurootdev I will try both suggestions. I've got snapdragon app downloaded now. Haven't did a full cycle charge on it yet though. Normally had great battery life, even on aosp roms. Could be that I am just impatient too though haha.

darkpoe

Nov 5, 2008
Battery life is greatly affected by weak signals. It drives up the power to get you signal

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

DopePedaler

Nov 30, 2013
My signal has actually been a great deal weaker since the update. I live in an.area where there is only 3g/1x data. Used to get around 1.8 mbps download...now only getting around 600kbps. Pretty much just sucks.

DopePedaler

Nov 30, 2013
I did one full cycle charge. Took it off the charger at around 10am yesterday. Almost 21 hours later, sitting at 35%. Doing a little better than before. Bluetooth keeps showing on my list of wake locks but it's disabled.

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
I got the ZVC OTA, then I flashed the zvc .tot after accidently deleting supporting services for voice mail (Skyfire Observer and Sprint Extension provider) after flashing Im at 7hrs 30mins Screen Time surfing web with 15% battery left on first day, before that I got little over 6hrs with 0% battery and all the same apps. Do a factory reset after OTA that might help or flash the ZVC.tot for a complete fresh install like I did.

Just an FYI Swype connect is a known battery killer for some its mentioned on their forums and it sometimes runs even when all connect features are blocked.

Another thing block location services when not needed it will save a nice amount of battery life.

Last edited:

kwdan

May 1, 2011
Redford mi
I'm having the same issue. It's wakelock WifiOffDelayIfNotUsed. I've tried everything I can think of, but it's completely keeping my phone from deep sleep.

I noticed that this morning. I went into wifi settings and clicked advanced and unchecked "scanning always available". Im using "liquid Smooth 4.4 so I don't know if yours have it.

thearch1tect

Aug 10, 2008
Houston Area
The only issue I've seen is Bluetooth showing up under battery stats as being used at around 50-55% yesterday with a runtime of over a day. I'm thinking its just a reporting bug since I haven't used Bluetooth at all and I don't see a noticeable drop in battery but if it is using it I'd definitely like to curb it.

anyone with a similar issue or possible idea on fixing it? Running stock zvc unrooted

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
The only issue I've seen is Bluetooth showing up under battery stats as being used at around 50-55% yesterday with a runtime of over a day. I'm thinking its just a reporting bug since I haven't used Bluetooth at all and I don't see a noticeable drop in battery but if it is using it I'd definitely like to curb it.

anyone with a similar issue or possible idea on fixing it? Running stock zvc unrooted

That's weird, never had that happen to me. Did you Factory reset after OTA? Sometimes that helps.

jonapunk

Jul 8, 2010
clinton township
Im getting 30 hours with 3 hours screen on time since the update but i did a factory reset after thr update and dont have all my apps installed

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wcr84

Dec 9, 2010
I don't get the people who say they get 7 hours sot out of this phone. I have two of these and even with complete stock no after market apps the best I do is 3-4

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
I don't get the people who say they get 7 hours sot out of this phone. I have two of these and even with complete stock no after market apps the best I do is 3-4

I get 7.5 hrs and 15% battery left at 50% Brightness, location and autosync drain battery a lot as I mentioned before. Also use task manager to autoblock Sprint apps and uncheck Sprint Connections Optimizer it eats battery, Lastly Swype connect runs even when online features are disabled and eats battery, there are many complaints about that on Swype forum as well.

Im mostly on WiFI and have full signal due to Airave (no LTE) so I guess that helps too. All those things add up, I'm sure you can achieve that screen time as well.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Its very common after a firmware update for a battery to go outta whack. It may be that you need to recalibrate it. After any firmware update its adviseable to so a factory reset at 100% battery level. Then use your phone normally till the battery dies and phone shuts down. Plug in the phone and let it charge to 100% while off. Turn it on, and use it till the batt dies again. Repeat charging to 100% with phone off.

That may solve your issue. Fully cycle the battery 2x.
    Battery life is greatly affected by weak signals. It drives up the power to get you signal

I'm having the same issue. It's wakelock WifiOffDelayIfNotUsed. I've tried everything I can think of, but it's completely keeping my phone from deep sleep.