[Q] Custom boot / shutdown Animation?

Search This thread

joelshort

Aug 30, 2010
I've been searching for and learning about custom boot animations for my Sprint SG4. I'm running Sacs custom 4.4.2 rom, NAE. It's rather bewildering for a newb like me, but I think I've figured out how to actually display custom boot animations.

I came across this thread explaining how to create a custom boot animation in the qmg format:
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/general/how-to-make-change-boot-shutdown-t2224639

So that seems straight forward enough. Should this work with the Sprint GS4?

Are there any good lists of boot animation collections? There are a number of custom animations out there but they seem to be scattered around. Is there a more comprehensive list somewhere?

If I understand the above thread correctly I should be able to take any custom animation I find and modify it to work as a qmg file.

Seems like something fun to waste my time on...:laugh:

joelshort

Aug 30, 2010
Here's some, there's a bunch out there.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2334927

Rom Toolbox has a bunch. Some are better than others. I'd be curious to see what you make.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for the link. Does ROM Toolbox work with Samsung devices that use the qmg extension for boot animations?

In any event, I've found a flashable zip that enables the use of bootanimation.zip files for the boot animation instead of qmg. This way is much easier. The link in the OP is for creating custom boot animations using Samsung Theme Designer (qmg).

I think I'll post a tutorial sometime soon showing how to use bootanimation.zips on the S4 (instead of qmg). I spent the last several days searching, searching, searching for something that turned out to be surprisingly easy to do but the info just wasn't all together or concise.

HPferoxCraft

Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the link. Does ROM Toolbox work with Samsung devices that use the qmg extension for boot animations?

In any event, I've found a flashable zip that enables the use of bootanimation.zip files for the boot animation instead of qmg. This way is much easier. The link in the OP is for creating custom boot animations using Samsung Theme Designer (qmg).

I think I'll post a tutorial sometime soon showing how to use bootanimation.zips on the S4 (instead of qmg). I spent the last several days searching, searching, searching for something that turned out to be surprisingly easy to do but the info just wasn't all together or concise.

The boot ani creation thing I've had on the back burner for a long time. I keep getting distracted by other things. I don't know much about the qmg process yet, I just use roms/kernel combos that support custom anis. I have this evil dead gif animation of a crawling hand I'm dying to use as a boot animation so I should start reading up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app