Fully configurable keyboard?

Search This thread

AHinMaine

Nov 17, 2009
Westbrook, ME
twitter.com
Just wondering if anyone had come across a keyboard that was customizable right down to the layout of keys, including long press choices and such?

Thumb is pretty close, but doesn't give 100% of the keyboard in your choices when customizing secondary symbols, for example. I tried examining a couple of the open source keyboards out there to see if I could roll my own, but that is some hardcore java programming, far more than I can handle.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
Just wondering if anyone had come across a keyboard that was customizable right down to the layout of keys, including long press choices and such?

Thumb is pretty close, but doesn't give 100% of the keyboard in your choices when customizing secondary symbols, for example. I tried examining a couple of the open source keyboards out there to see if I could roll my own, but that is some hardcore java programming, far more than I can handle.

Thumb Keyboard 4.6.1.00.147 my friend. 50% off

Last edited:

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
That would be the keyboard I mentioned in my 2nd paragraph... I'm a long-time Thumb owner. Tried requesting the additional characters be added to the lists, but no response.

My bad, just skimmed the posts. Take a look at Hackers Keyboard. It's mostly used by programmers and engineers.

Last edited:

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
Ya, I keep that one installed too. Doing anything with ssh or a commandline is unbearable without it.

It would also be nice if there were any keyboards that let you create your own layout the same way they do for dvorak, qwertz, etc...

True. You ever thought of decompiling one of the keyboard and modifying it to your liking?

Last edited:

AHinMaine

Nov 17, 2009
Westbrook, ME
twitter.com
True. You ever thought of decompiling one of the keyboard and modifying it to your liking?

I gave AnyKeyboard a good look over since you canfind it on github, as well as a couple others. Way over my head. I was hoping it'd be something similar to traditional Linux as I have plenty of experience there, from wading through scan codes on the console to using xev to figure out xmodmap configs. Not so much... unfortunately...

ro.chi

Sep 2, 2011
AW: Fully configurable keyboard?

Hackers Keyboard is my friend :)

Sent from my MZ601 using xda app-developers app