[Q] extSDCard problems

Search This thread

metafizik

Mar 28, 2014
Wilson, NC, US
I am having problems with my external SD card. It is a 32GB Sandisk card. I can create directories under /extSDCard and copy files to those directories. However if I reboot my phone all of the directories and files are gone. I went to setting/storage and select the external sdcard. The system tells me it is blank. I see in the notifications something about a blank sd card and something about unsupported files. I then tap that and it gives me the option to format it which I select. When I do that it immediately reboots and I am in the same boat as before I started. Basically I have an unusable SD Card. This card used to work but some time ago I accidentally formatted it in TWRP and sort quit using it for a while until today. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I am running AOKP if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Might have a bad SD card on your hands. But you didn't mention trying to format it on a PC instead of the phone. Then try transferring some stuff over to it again too see it it's ok. Just use the pc to drop a few files on it b4 placing it back in the phone...
If no quirky then possible dead sd. What size? Anything under 64 very inexpensive to replace on Amazon.com
Just my 2¢®™

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

metafizik

Mar 28, 2014
Wilson, NC, US
Might have a bad SD card on your hands. But you didn't mention trying to format it on a PC instead of the phone. Then try transferring some stuff over to it again too see it it's ok. Just use the pc to drop a few files on it b4 placing it back in the phone...
If no quirky then possible dead sd. What size? Anything under 64 very inexpensive to replace on Amazon.com
Just my 2¢®™

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks you Bajanman I will try to format it with a PC. I can't imagine that the thing shouldn't still work. At one time I had 20GB of music, movies, etc copied to it before I mistakenly formatted it while in TWRP.

~metafizik

metafizik

Mar 28, 2014
Wilson, NC, US
Sandisk cards have issues with the Note 2. My Sandisk card went crazy after being in my Note 2. I just bought a Samsung card and haven't had issues at all.
Yes I just found out the card does work. It was actually a 64GB card. I put it in my tablet and it worked fine so I took the exact same model of Sandisk card that was in the tablet and put it in the Note 2 and I see the exact same behavior as the other card(blank sd and reboots if I try to format).

The card worked before I installed AOKP on the phone. I wonder if it is AOKP or the Note 2? This weekend I guess I will restore the backup I took before I installed AOKP to find out.

tube517

Jun 18, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Yes I just found out the card does work. It was actually a 64GB card. I put it in my tablet and it worked fine so I took the exact same model of Sandisk card that was in the tablet and put it in the Note 2 and I see the exact same behavior as the other card(blank sd and reboots if I try to format).

The card worked before I installed AOKP on the phone. I wonder if it is AOKP or the Note 2? This weekend I guess I will restore the backup I took before I installed AOKP to find out.

Good luck!

I just put that Sandisk card that freaked out in my Note 2, in my Note 1 and it works fine. I think it's the Note 2. If you google the issue, you'll see a whole bunch of forum posts here and other forums talking about it.

metafizik

Mar 28, 2014
Wilson, NC, US
Good luck!

I just put that Sandisk card that freaked out in my Note 2, in my Note 1 and it works fine. I think it's the Note 2. If you google the issue, you'll see a whole bunch of forum posts here and other forums talking about it.

I took your advice and ordered a Samsung card. I really don't want to restore back to stock and get the KNOX update so I will stick with AOKP. I agree I don't think AOKP is the problem.