What SD class does D3 supports?

Search This thread

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
I bought a Lexar brand Class 10 (32 gig) MicroSD from Amazon, and things don't load as fast as I thought they would. I had previously used this card in my HTC Desire Z and noticed that my Gallery would load very slowly. I thought maybe it was the Gallery or the ROM I was using or whatever... but then when I moved to my Motorola XT860 (Canadian Droid 3), I noticed the same thing. The gallery loads images / thumbnails very slowly, and sometimes when I take pictures with the camera, the image doesn't fully write to the card (the thumbnail for the picture will show half the picture, and the other half of the picture will be corrupted garbage). Even when I switched my phone over to the Chinese ROM it behaves exactly the same.

I'm thinking the Lexar MicroSD is at fault here... but I would like to continue testing by getting a new one, hopefully made by a better manufacturer/brand.

Hope this helps.

eksempel_123

Dec 9, 2009
I have the Patriot 32Gb class 10. Gallery works fine with me, even if I have a lot of pictures on it. The only problem I have is with Spotify. When it downloads songs for offline usage, it would whine about the sdcard being corrupt/full even tho it works fine.

gbarayah

Dec 2, 2009
California
I bought a Lexar brand Class 10 (32 gig) MicroSD from Amazon, and things don't load as fast as I thought they would. I had previously used this card in my HTC Desire Z and noticed that my Gallery would load very slowly. I thought maybe it was the Gallery or the ROM I was using or whatever... but then when I moved to my Motorola XT860 (Canadian Droid 3), I noticed the same thing. The gallery loads images / thumbnails very slowly, and sometimes when I take pictures with the camera, the image doesn't fully write to the card (the thumbnail for the picture will show half the picture, and the other half of the picture will be corrupted garbage). Even when I switched my phone over to the Chinese ROM it behaves exactly the same.

I'm thinking the Lexar MicroSD is at fault here... but I would like to continue testing by getting a new one, hopefully made by a better manufacturer/brand.

Hope this helps.

Are you using the stock gallery app? If so, try using "Quickpic" its free in the market and loads everything MUCH faster than the stock gallery.

If you are worried it may be the card, use a card reader to test the speeds on your computer. There are a few free applications out there that will do this.

I am using a Kingston 16gb Class 4 card in my XT860, same as the one I used in my Desire Z and haven't had any issues. Though I haven't tried to record any 1080P video yet... 720p doesn't have any lag but the write speed may be a bottleneck for the 1080 video.

I ran a multitude of tests on my Kingston class 4 and it regularly had a write speed of 6mb/s+, which is the minimum speed of a class 6 card. Some people aren't fans of Kingston but I've used a few of their micro SD cards and they have always had good results for me.

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
Thats a good idea. Ill test the read/write speed on my pc. Ive yet to find an sd card tester app in the market that will work with this rom (stock chinese ME863 rom on gingerbread 2.3.5, rooted)

Thanks!

Sent from my ME863 using XDA App

bogdan_wrc

Nov 22, 2008
i will go for a 16Gb class 10 Kingston card, instead of a 32gb class 4 A-data.
speed 10 is more important than 16gb at class4.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
32GB is the max that it will support as it only supports SDHC and anything over 32GB is SDXC.

Even though they are really expensive at the moment, 64GB micro SDXC cards have been confirmed to work in most Android devices. These cards come formatted by default with the exFAT file system which is unrecognized by Android but Android will format it to FAT32 and all 64GB are accessible. FAT32 has a limit of 2TB, but modern versions of Windows won't format FAT32 over 32GBs. They will still read/write >32GB FAT32 drives just fine.

By the time these cards come affordable Android will probably have exFAT support by default.

savedR

Dec 13, 2007
gplus.to
Speed issues = return?

This may not really be related, but say I buy a Class 10 card of any size and am getting terrible transfer speeds. That's grounds to return it, right?

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
I tested my Lexar Class 10 32 gig and some no-name 2 gig on my PC. These are the results. I would appreciate it if any of you could try the same on your card(s) and see how they compare to mine?

32_GIG_lexar_class10.jpg

2_GIG_NO_NAME_test.jpg

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
That is on your computer. I think the real question here is whether the Droid 3 can read/write at a fast enough speed to take advantage of faster cards. Speed tests on a PC are going to depend on the card reader being used.

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
Was trying to rule out possible defect with my 32gig. Its pretty bad on my phone. Most photos i take dont write, sometimes half-write. Overall its sluggish. I blame the ME863 rom but im kinda stuck with it for now. For now i just have it set to store photos/videos on the internal flash.

Sent from my ME863 using XDA App

courtn00b

Feb 4, 2011
Has anyone tried changing their cache size to see if it improves xfer speeds?? There was a tutorial on the homepage.

Also I'm considering on class4 vs class10 32gb card, is it woth getting the faster card? I want to stream 1080p through the hdmi if people could test this then I'd appreciate the results :)

eksempel_123

Dec 9, 2009
Changing the cache size probably helps in Android, but not when the sdcard is mounted to the PC. Not sure the phone even has 1080p output via the HDMI (shoot me if I'm wrong), but I can get it to play 720p .mkv files without video stuttering.

fotoingo

Jun 22, 2007
Sandisk 32 GB Class 4

Sandisk 32 GB Class 4
Nothing fancy, but works like a charm.

I used a 32 GB "Noname" Class 10 before and I had lots of broken files after a days use....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
Sequential Read : 20.095 MB/s
Sequential Write : 4.880 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 19.376 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.455 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.822 MB/s [ 689.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.463 MB/s [ 357.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.973 MB/s [ 725.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.249 MB/s [ 304.8 IOPS]

Test : 50 MB [I: 0.0% (0.0/29.7 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/12/03 0:13:18

--------------

Sandisk 16GB Class 2

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
Sequential Read : 20.070 MB/s
Sequential Write : 11.810 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 19.676 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 2.613 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.760 MB/s [ 917.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.023 MB/s [ 5.5 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.824 MB/s [ 933.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.035 MB/s [ 8.5 IOPS]

Test : 50 MB [I: 90.1% (13.3/14.8 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/12/03 0:42:59

Last edited:

jweber228

Aug 1, 2011
I have had a 32gb pny class 10 since july. The speed is a little lower then expected, but the real problem is data corruption. I lose several files each day(found in the LOST.DIR) and I'm thinking its due to being class 10. From what I've read, the class 10s have problem with the random sequential read/writes (er something like that, don't quote me). Anybody else losing files on a class 10 card or is it just me?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

bogdan_wrc

Nov 22, 2008
have you tried puting games or applications on card? when i do that, i lose that game..until a restart the phone. and then i lose another game. and so on...

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
I have had a 32gb pny class 10 since july. The speed is a little lower then expected, but the real problem is data corruption. I lose several files each day(found in the LOST.DIR) and I'm thinking its due to being class 10. From what I've read, the class 10s have problem with the random sequential read/writes (er something like that, don't quote me). Anybody else losing files on a class 10 card or is it just me?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

I experience the same problem, but it's really strange because this never happened on my Blackberry Torch before. I didn't have any instances of data corruption. I also think it's got something to do with reading the files, since I'm really not doing any writes to the disk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got a class 4 32GB card in mine and it works just fine. As far as I know it even records 1080p video at that speed. 32GB is the max that it will support as it only supports SDHC and anything over 32GB is SDXC.
    I read in a couple of different forums to change the format type.
    I have a Lexar 32GB MicroSD.

Again, I had no corruption when I was on blackberry, only when I switched to Android (3 months no corruption beforehand).

1 forum recommended to download the SD Card formatting tool and reformat the disk using a Windows / Mac machine. The tool can be downloaded here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

The original thread is here:
    http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/motorola-xoom-help/9057-files-corrupting-my-sdhc-card.html

On the other hand, someone from XDA developers posted a solution in which the card is formatted without LBA mode, as a FAT32 file system and using 32K clusters.

You can read the XDA-developers post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1010228

I just tried the sd card format utility and will come back with results after a couple of days.