Potential Solution for Unlocking Bands on Droid 4 in US

Search This thread

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how to try this out, since I'm not in the US, and that RadioComm doesn't work for my Droid 4 (it's been upgraded to ICS)

1) Install latest Motorola drivers and RadioComm
2) Launch RadioComm
3) When it RadioComm launches, Click Main -> MA -> Common -> MDM 6x00
4) Click Settings -> USB -> PST USB
5) Click on FTM Common 1
6) Connect the phone to the PC and wait for it to go green
7) Under NVAccess, find the following values:
4870, NV_GSM_850_CARRIER_SUPPRESSION_I
4871, NV_GSM_DCS_CARRIER_SUPPRESSION_I
4872, NV_GSM_1900_CARRIER_SUPPRESSION_I
8) For each value, press Read, then replace all of the numbers with 0. Once done, press write. Repeat for all 3 values/

Let me know if this works!

Again, I mentioned a problem with RadioComm. I'm using Windows 8 x64, RadioComm worked fine with my Bionic on GB, maybe it's an ICS thing, maybe I need newer drivers, etc... Please let me know if this works!

I was able to get this going on my Droid Bionic (which also had a corrupted IMEI number) so if you want to see that post, view it here :
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32256347&postcount=780

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how to try this out, since I'm not in the US, and that RadioComm doesn't work for my Droid 4 (it's been upgraded to ICS)

2) Launch RadioComm
5) Click on FTM Common 1
8) For each value, press Read, then replace all of the numbers with 0. Once done, press write. Repeat for all 3 values/

Again, I mentioned a problem with RadioComm. I'm using Windows 8 x64, RadioComm worked fine with my Bionic on GB, maybe it's an ICS thing, maybe I need newer drivers, etc... Please let me know if this works!

I was able to get this going on my Droid Bionic (which also had a corrupted IMEI number) so if you want to see that post, view it here :

This looks awesome -- I saw your post in the Bionic forum. I was curious if this worked for anyone in the states on T-Mobile? I was looking to get a Droid 4 and use it on Straight Talk. Currently have an Epic, but loved my OG Droid. 3G is fine enough for me -- just curious if anyone is also able to get MMS working as well, along with APN settings?

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
What version of RadioComm do you recommend? I've tried 11.9.0 and I get the error when I try to open it:

"Error in getting the pointer to CommP2K and/or CommQC. Error number: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown."

If you can help me get past this error, I'd love to try this out...

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
What version of RadioComm do you recommend? I've tried 11.9.0 and I get the error when I try to open it:

"Error in getting the pointer to CommP2K and/or CommQC. Error number: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown."

I'm using 11.12.2, and try to get the latest motorola phone drivers (different than the USB drivers) I think I'm running 5.9 of those.

Sent from my XT894 running ICS

Reactions: terinfire

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
I'm using 11.12.2, and try to get the latest motorola phone drivers (different than the USB drivers) I think I'm running 5.9 of those.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Out of curiosity -- I'm assuming this is similar to QPST. If I bork the modem, I should be able to go back to a prior group of settings, right?

SIM Card should be coming in on Saturday or Monday -- so should be able to get some news to everyone by then.

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Awesome, I'll give it a shot when I get home. Out of curiosity -- I'm assuming this is similar to QPST. If I bork the modem, I should be able to go back to a prior group of settings, right?

SIM Card should be coming in on Saturday or Monday -- so should be able to get some news to everyone by then.

Cool, just to give you a heads up, someone tried it in the RAZR forum without success....

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Shoot. I've read that you can get 3G on AT&T without any problems across forums -- did I misread and this was for international use -- not inside the US? I just want to get 3G on AT&T if possible...

Any thoughts? Or can you point me in the right direction?

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
I'm a developer outside of all of this (C# primarily these days, but have an extensive background in C/C++) -- and I've flashed phones to cricket with QPST -- so maybe I can help you guys out with this. If you're up for discussing any background that might catch me up to speed on this (already have my phone), would be up for trying to help break into it and enable this. Just send me a PM if you're up for this. Thank you!

DarkMidnight

Sep 21, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey all,

I've only used this program for a little bit but I was able to change the values to what the OP suggested however, I used the Motorola Factory USB cable. I couldn't get the program to recognize my phone w/o it.

I'm using stock rooted ICS too.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
So, you updated it with that -- were you successful and does GSM now work in the US?

Did anything change?

zeroktal

Nov 8, 2006
Phone doesn't make calls now

I followed the steps above
Radio Comm v11.12.2
Motorola drivers 2.2.28
Whatever data card drivers came with radiocomm

This did not allow me to see t-mobile or at&t here in the states.

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
So, random question/thought... If we find another modem with similar chip in another phone -- say on AT&T -- would we be able to read some of these fields and stuff out -- and then push it into our modem?

dewhashish

Jan 29, 2012
it would be great if we can set the phone to just swap SIM cards very easily, especially in the US

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
So, random question/thought... If we find another modem with similar chip in another phone -- say on AT&T -- would we be able to read some of these fields and stuff out -- and then push it into our modem?

Hmm, might be an idea. I don't think that there were many AT&T phones with this capability though. My idea is to compare an XT910 vs an XT912, since that was a worldwide release.

Best idea, get an XT910, put your SIM into it, grab a full radio dump, then put your SIM into the XT912 that doesn't work and grab another full radio dump and compare the two.

You'd need an internation XT910, since AT&T didn't ship them down there, but that would be a great starting place...

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
Hmm, might be an idea. I don't think that there were many AT&T phones with this capability though. My idea is to compare an XT910 vs an XT912, since that was a worldwide release.

Best idea, get an XT910, put your SIM into it, grab a full radio dump, then put your SIM into the XT912 that doesn't work and grab another full radio dump and compare the two.

You'd need an internation XT910, since AT&T didn't ship them down there, but that would be a great starting place...

Only thing is that I'd have to go out of my way to do that and spend even more money. I just dropped some on the Droid 4 for an off-contract phone. I wonder if there's any way we could ping some of the other forums, i.e. the Razr and see if anyone can potentially get us full-reads, so that way we could compare/diff them?

In addition -- I wonder if it's possible (probably a long-shot) to potentially order a SIM card or something from another carrier in Europe or somewhere outside the US and get it into the phone, but then have it "added" or "roaming" on a US network or something -- if that might provide a workaround?

Just trying to take stabs at it. I figure I'll hold onto the D4 for another month and see if we have any exciting developments -- and if not -- just push it to Swappa.

silver6054

Nov 16, 2010
Only thing is that I'd have to go out of my way to do that and spend even more money. I just dropped some on the Droid 4 for an off-contract phone. I wonder if there's any way we could ping some of the other forums, i.e. the Razr and see if anyone can potentially get us full-reads, so that way we could compare/diff them?

In addition -- I wonder if it's possible (probably a long-shot) to potentially order a SIM card or something from another carrier in Europe or somewhere outside the US and get it into the phone, but then have it "added" or "roaming" on a US network or something -- if that might provide a workaround?

Just trying to take stabs at it. I figure I'll hold onto the D4 for another month and see if we have any exciting developments -- and if not -- just push it to Swappa.

Not sure what you a proposing in your second paragraph. I have a UK SIM card, and when I plug it in two other phones (Samsung Renown, a CMDA/GSM basic phone) and a Motorola quad-band GSM phone, it works fine in the US. When I move the SIM into my Droid 4, no signal, although it sometimes gives the Unrecognized SIM message. So it's not a matter of non-US sims.

Reactions: terinfire

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Not sure what you a proposing in your second paragraph. I have a UK SIM card, and when I plug it in two other phones (Samsung Renown, a CMDA/GSM basic phone) and a Motorola quad-band GSM phone, it works fine in the US. When I move the SIM into my Droid 4, no signal, although it sometimes gives the Unrecognized SIM message. So it's not a matter of non-US sims.

I get the unrecognized SIM message also. That doesn't affect the phone one bit though, since I just press okay to the message and the phone connects to my carrier. Is your carrier one with a Verizon roaming agreement?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone,

2) Launch RadioComm
    5) Click on FTM Common 1

How did you make out? We were without power, internet and cell service for 8 days.. Nightmare..

Lost power, internet and heat for 4 days. Hope all is well

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2