[RECOVERY] Ouya CWM Recovery

Search This thread

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
Unofficial CWM Recovery for Ouya

One-Click Style Method

To help people get up and going quickly, I've turned the steps below into an automated script package.

The attached OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip archive contains automated scripts to install CWM Recovery.
Whether you use Linux, Mac OSX, or Windows 7, all are invited to join in the fun!

Before you begin, you need to have your Ouya hooked up to a TV and powered on.
You also need to have a micro usb cable handy.

1) Download the OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip file and extract it (a folder on your desktop is fine).
2) Open the folder and you'll see a folder for each operating system. Open the folder for the OS of your choice.
3a) For Linux and Mac OSX users, run InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.sh in terminal by navigating the folder and running "./InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.sh" (you might just be able to run it by double clicking it. It depends on your setup).
3b) For Windows 7 users, double click the batch file InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.bat
4) Follow the on screen instructions. If you get an error saying there was no device found, run the script again (sometimes adb is finicky).
5) If all went well, you should be brought to CWM recovery.

If you have any trouble, seeking help is more efficient if you post the script's output to a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/) and post a link to it (I/others can see what happened).

Link to OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip - http://invisiblek.org/ouya/OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip

P.S. If anyone has proper hosting and would like to host OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip, please let me know and I'll change the link.
Thanks to invisiblek we have some more permanent hosting than a Dropbox account. Hosting costs money guys, so be sure to drop invisiblek a few coins if you can spare it.

Manual Method

Steps to install CWM on Ouya:

1) Perform the SDK Setup portion of thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272266 and install su, busybox, and superuser from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270589. This is done so we can get adb access and the necessary tools on the Ouya
2) Download the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img file and the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip.
3) Transfer the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip to your Ouya's internal sdcard (you can do this with "adb push /path/to/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip /sdcard/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip"). Leave the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img on your computer.
4) Connect your computer to the Ouya's micro-usb port (if it isn't already), connect a USB keyboard to the Ouya (bluetooth won't work), and run "adb reboot bootloader"
5) Wait 30 seconds (seriously)
6) Use fastboot to boot CWM by running "fastboot boot /path/to/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img". This boots from our CWM recovery without writing to any partitions.
7) Using your USB keyboard's arrow and enter keys, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", and "OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip". This flashable zip writes CWM to the recovery partition and renames a pesky file that causes the stock recovery to be written on reboot.
8) Select "go back", and "reboot system now" to return to Andriod (CWM will ask "ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. FIX?". Make sure you select "NO")
9) Since we don't have any volume or home keys on the Ouya, to get back into recovery, you need to run "adb reboot recovery". Go ahead and try it once the Ouya has been sitting in Android for a minute or so. If all went well, you should reboot into CWM recovery!

This method was generated from the work done in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292556. If you feel like pressing the thanks button, don't just thank me. Also thank professorpoptart, sonofskywalker3, and rayman. And obviously this is possible because of the fine folks behind CWM and Cyanogenmod.

Attachments

• OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 8,759
  • OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img
    6.7 MB · Views: 6,027
Last edited:

lartomar2002

Mar 24, 2011
Near Kennedy Space Center, Florida
So, you are saying that no bluetooth KB work or just the one you tried? Did it have it's owen receiver or did you try to pair with Ouya's bluetooth? I am very interested in this because I have a Asus bluetooth KB/Mouse with their own receiver that I was hoping to use with the Ouya.

tcollum

Feb 10, 2011
So, you are saying that no bluetooth KB work or just the one you tried? Did it have it's owen receiver or did you try to pair with Ouya's bluetooth? I am very interested in this because I have a Asus bluetooth KB/Mouse with their own receiver that I was hoping to use with the Ouya.

I believe what he meant was simply that it won't work in recovery.

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
Thoughts, when I fastboot the recovery.img I get no video to navigate to the correct option to install the zip. I know the recovery.img I fastbooted booted because it shows listed as "recovery" under adb devices.

I had this issue with the stock recovery and a mix of hooking it up to another monitor and pushing a Generic.kl with an edited home button seemed to fix it. I have reboot and went back into stock recovery and video works fine there, just not when I fastboot the CWM one.

I could use the adb shell in recovery to "--install_package=xxxxxx.zip" but it wont be too much help if I cant navigate the CWM menu...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ouya-XD

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
Thoughts, when I fastboot the recovery.img I get no video to navigate to the correct option to install the zip. I know the recovery.img I fastbooted booted because it shows listed as "recovery" under adb devices.

I had this issue with the stock recovery and a mix of hooking it up to another monitor and pushing a Generic.kl with an edited home button seemed to fix it. I have reboot and went back into stock recovery and video works fine there, just not when I fastboot the CWM one.

I could use the adb shell in recovery to "--install_package=xxxxxx.zip" but it wont be too much help if I cant navigate the CWM menu...

Hmmm. That's weird. It worked fine on my TV without pressing a key before hand. Maybe it's the keyboard or TV?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
Tried 2 tv's stock recovery works on both.

edit: Tried it on a third TV works!? whatever... At least we know anyone has issue in the future just keep trying more displays until one works...

edit: don't know if it matters but just fyi, but I tried 2 1080P displays and got nothing, tried it on an old 1080i and it worked...

edit: Hooked it back up to the main TV and recovery video still works... whatever...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
Crazy driver / edid issues maybe? Who knows. I'm glad you got it working though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
I was also unable to get video after running fastboot unless I had the HDMI plugged in prior to issuing the command.

Ohhhhhh. I keep HDMI plugged in the entire time. Maybe that's the issue. Professorpoptarts, we're you plugged into HDMI at all times?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

professorpoptart

Jul 7, 2010
When it wasnt working yes, had everything connected, then powered up, then fastbooted. Even tried unplugging and plughing back in the hdmi a few times to try and get it to come on. However since I got it working I have not gad the issue (knock on wood)

No4g4Me

Jan 13, 2012
When it wasnt working yes, had everything connected, then powered up, then fastbooted. Even tried unplugging and plughing back in the hdmi a few times to try and get it to come on. However since I got it working I have not gad the issue (knock on wood)

is there a custom kernel up for this device yet? I havent seen one. :(

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Kernel source was released 4 days ago, it may take some time.

However, I'm currently working on porting Cyanogenmod 10 from source, professorpoptart is working on porting an aosp rom from the HTC One X+, and I'm probably going to release a "Custom ROM" tonight that's just an easy flash to add a bunch of extra functionality. So no kernels yet, but Roms should start popping up soon.

Reactions: No4g4Me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial CWM Recovery for Ouya

One-Click Style Method

To help people get up and going quickly, I've turned the steps below into an automated script package.

The attached OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip archive contains automated scripts to install CWM Recovery.
    Whether you use Linux, Mac OSX, or Windows 7, all are invited to join in the fun!

Before you begin, you need to have your Ouya hooked up to a TV and powered on.
    You also need to have a micro usb cable handy.

1) Download the OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip file and extract it (a folder on your desktop is fine).
    2) Open the folder and you'll see a folder for each operating system. Open the folder for the OS of your choice.
    3a) For Linux and Mac OSX users, run InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.sh in terminal by navigating the folder and running "./InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.sh" (you might just be able to run it by double clicking it. It depends on your setup).
    3b) For Windows 7 users, double click the batch file InstallOuyaCWMRecovery.bat
    4) Follow the on screen instructions. If you get an error saying there was no device found, run the script again (sometimes adb is finicky).
    5) If all went well, you should be brought to CWM recovery.

If you have any trouble, seeking help is more efficient if you post the script's output to a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/) and post a link to it (I/others can see what happened).

Link to OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip - http://invisiblek.org/ouya/OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip

P.S. If anyone has proper hosting and would like to host OneClickOuyaRecovery.zip, please let me know and I'll change the link.
    Thanks to invisiblek we have some more permanent hosting than a Dropbox account. Hosting costs money guys, so be sure to drop invisiblek a few coins if you can spare it.

Manual Method

Steps to install CWM on Ouya:

1) Perform the SDK Setup portion of thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272266 and install su, busybox, and superuser from this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270589. This is done so we can get adb access and the necessary tools on the Ouya
    2) Download the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img file and the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip.
    3) Transfer the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip to your Ouya's internal sdcard (you can do this with "adb push /path/to/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip /sdcard/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip"). Leave the OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img on your computer.
    4) Connect your computer to the Ouya's micro-usb port (if it isn't already), connect a USB keyboard to the Ouya (bluetooth won't work), and run "adb reboot bootloader"
    5) Wait 30 seconds (seriously)
    6) Use fastboot to boot CWM by running "fastboot boot /path/to/OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2.img". This boots from our CWM recovery without writing to any partitions.
    7) Using your USB keyboard's arrow and enter keys, select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", and "OuyaCWMrecovery6.0.3.2flashable.zip". This flashable zip writes CWM to the recovery partition and renames a pesky file that causes the stock recovery to be written on reboot.
    8) Select "go back", and "reboot system now" to return to Andriod (CWM will ask "ROM may flash stock recovery on boot. FIX?". Make sure you select "NO")
    9) Since we don't have any volume or home keys on the Ouya, to get back into recovery, you need to run "adb reboot recovery". Go ahead and try it once the Ouya has been sitting in Android for a minute or so. If all went well, you should reboot into CWM recovery!

This method was generated from the work done in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292556. If you feel like pressing the thanks button, don't just thank me. Also thank professorpoptart, sonofskywalker3, and rayman. And obviously this is possible because of the fine folks behind CWM and Cyanogenmod.
    Damnit I finally get this to reboot and all i get is OUYA with a red exclamation point

Then over time it just reboots itself back into the Ouya Menu

What am I doing wrong here?

Attach a USB keyboard and when you see the red exclamation point, hit the Home key to bring up thr CWM menu. Make sure the keyboard is detected by looking for lights on the keyboard when hitting the caps lock or number lock.
    I got another OUYA for a friend and this script no longer works. Not sure if it's with the newest firmware or what. I just keep getting "device not found".

My OUYA shows up in windows system properties but I cannot connect to it with the program or adb/fastboot

Please help. None of the drivers install either. Is this something they broke in the system update? Root however still works fine.

I installed fine on the latest version of Ouya with my laptop OS Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

I bought the Ouya from a guy on ebay and he tried to root it but couldn't figure it out but after hours and hours or trial and error I figured it out.

First, make sure you download the latest Andrown SDK installed:

1. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download > Developer Tools > Download > Click checkbox > select 32 or 64 bit.

Note: Make sure you install all of the extras and for best results I would install every package.

Note: For Windows 8 you need to disable driver signing. Google it, it's easy.

2. Make sure on your Ouya that you have USB DEBUGGING check off and turned ON.

3. You should at this point have a device in Device Manager under Portable Devices called Ouya with no exclamation point and also under USB Composite Devices you should see another deivce with an exclamation point. The one with the exclamation point is the one you want to manually install the drivers to.

4. I can't remember which package but one of these worked for me. Just search XDA for either:

1. OUYA the Wiz Recovery 1.0 - NOTE: This is the only one that worked for installing recovery.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovxni3vrifdb77d/OUYA_TheWiz_Recovery_1.0 (1).zip

2. OneClickOuyaRecovery

3. Ouya Safe Recovery Installer

4. Ouya Toolbox 1.1.2

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.