[ROOT] [AT&T, TELUS, Bell, Rogers] Pre-Rooted Kernel (flash via Odin)

Search This thread

Madtowndave

Jan 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Does anyone have this kernel? My phone was having some massive issues, so I Odined back to stock 2.3.6

Seem to be having issue flashing a ROM however...I've installed TWRP 2.7, but cannot seem to load SUser. Thinking must be b/c I don't have root...

Might have to just Odin to ICS if there is another kernel there I can use....unless someone has a copy of this .tar please??

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
Hi!
Stick the provided pda.tar in the PDA box of Odin3 1.85, flash away!
Thank you very much.
Got this phone new 3 days ago.
Seems that I got here late since when ticking the PDA link I get "domain is for sale," rather than the kernel download.

So anyone have a new link or somewhere else or send me the kernel to my message (if that is OK with rules.)

I can get root but can't install ANY zip through CWM (any version touch or not) to upgrade to a Custom ROM (most anything is a upgrade rather than bloated stock.)

Thank again for your work and support.

Thank you very much.
Got this phone new 3 days ago.
Seems that I got here late since when ticking the PDA link I get "domain is for sale," rather than the kernel download.

So anyone have a new link or somewhere else or send me the kernel to my message (if that is OK with rules.)

I can get root but can't install ANY zip through CWM (any version touch or not) to upgrade to a Custom ROM (most anything is a upgrade rather than bloated stock.)

Thank again for your work and support.

Did you use this method to root?
http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-no...y-note-sgh-i717-icsgingerbreadeasiest-method/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Reactions: madefree

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
Last edited:
Hey thanks for sure....
I've been on more root and romming sites in the last 4 days to win a reward. LOL
I have stock recovery, now.
I'll be trying that asap ... like in few hours.
I bricked this thing yesterday and took 5 tries to unbrick.
That is a working link.... thanks
Edit...
Unzipped the file in links got 3 files odin, odin.ini and superuser, and NO ROOT?
Later

Follow the tutorial. Step... by step...by step. ;)
uploadfromtaptalk1414875460029.jpg

4 files.

Edit: pay special attention to every step especially 17 which is " This will root your phone by installing SU binaries (which gives you root) and SuperUser app (which allows apps to make use of root). *If you get any errors at this point, don’t worry about it and repeat Steps 13 to Step 16 twice more and reboot. * You will still get root." I think I had to do this twice on my particular device.

Edit: Once you are up and going, you will also have to flash an up to date cwm recovery or gimmeitorilltell's TWRP 2.8.0.0 in order to flash the newest kitkats.

Last edited:

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
View attachment 2994809

4 files.

Edit: Once you are up and going, you will also have to flash an up to date cwm recovery or gimmeitorilltell's TWRP 2.8.0.0 in order to flash the newest kitkats.

I found a TWRP but no 2.8.0.0 But I'll do more searching tomorrow as I do want to go to 4.4. Something

Thank you for your time and support, really!

Later!

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
View attachment 2994809
4 files.
Edit: pay special attention to every step especially 17 which is " This will root your phone by installing SU binaries (which gives you root) and SuperUser app (which allows apps to make use of root). *If you get any errors at this point, don’t worry about it and repeat Steps 13 to Step 16 twice more and reboot. * You will still get root." I think I had to do this twice on my particular device.

Installed Att cwm. tar via Odin
Step 9. Hit “Start” and this will flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your Galaxy Note. I tried this CWM 4 or 5 times and got error.

Tried to flash Superuser zip with CWM Recovery
that failed.

So I flashed TWRP 2.8.0.0 Rebooted to TWRP

Rebooted to TWRP recovery (I can acually see the items in list this time, without magnifying glass. WOW) LOL

With TWRP I did something wrong Installing zip form card Superuser zip I get
E Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard0/Superuser- 3.0.7-efghi-signed zip'
"FAILED"
I tried 8 more times with TWRP to install "Superuser zip," but got the same "FAILED."

I see "Superuser" listed in "All applications" says it is running but when I run "Root Checker" I get .....
"Sorry Not rooted"

Yes thank you for your support.

Last edited:
Installed Att cwm. tar via Odin
Step 9. Hit “Start” and this will flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your Galaxy Note.
Tried to flash Superuser zip with CWM Recovery
that failed.

Did you ignore errors as it said in step 17 and try steps 13-16 twice more like it says? Are you coming from ICS stock? Perhaps someone else has a suggestion if this doesn't work.

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
Did you ignore errors as it said in step 17 and try steps 13-16 twice more like it says?

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I did ignore the errors as stated in step 17 and tried the install of the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip three times with the CWM recovery and 5 or more times on TWRP 2.8.0.0

Are you coming from ICS stock?
No...not on ICS
I am on I717UCMD3_I717ATTMD3_ATT.zip JB stock rom.

And ....
Superuser is in "Applications" and no it is not rooted."

Thank you again.... REALLY!
but.... I'm just going to root this phone with the super horrid evil rooter called Androidroot.exe or now some know it as Kingo_Android_Root_117.

You all are great to help this old man,
but I am just warn out on this situation.

I had it rooted with that evil app, but original i717 stock recovery didn't allow me to install a zip.
NO choice to choose a zip file form anywhere.

So with the already wipe / factory reset and the cache already wiped clean..ouch..
I was forced to re-install the Stock Att JB 4.1.2 ROM.

Than came back to my favourite forum (here) and I tied this easy root but no lift off Houston!

I was going to download that kernal that is already rooted but link was not working and no one there to provide another working link. I'll be looking for that kernal again.

later.

Thanks ya all! :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: developweb

trantacular

Jul 6, 2012
Hey everyone, it' been a minute since I last rooted an android device. Looking to root and de-bloat/generally speed up my buddy's unlocked SGH-i717. It's unlocked for T-mobile right now and I'm just wondering whether or not this root method will work for it/retain the unlock afterward? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
Hey everyone, it' been a minute since I last rooted an android device. Looking to root and de-bloat/generally speed up my buddy's unlocked SGH-i717. It's unlocked for T-mobile right now and I'm just wondering whether or not this root method will work for it/retain the unlock afterward? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

That is what this forum is for.... help!

IF.... it is a At&t Samsung i717
Follow the steps HERE. with PICS.

That site page states.... "UPDATE: (8/12/2012) Users have confirmed this root method works fine on the new T-Mobile Galaxy Note SGH-T879! "

I really wanted to do the kernel install via odin and have a updated kernel so I could tweak out more of the bloatware, but I still be searching for the link to the "kernel with root," which is what this topic started on.

For ROMs search here at xda ...
OR,
Since most links ROM a spread out try searching on the theunlocker.com > Samsung Note > than next page ....choose At&t or Tmobile.

Happy Rooting to ya .

Later!

Reactions: trantacular

SoulAscent

Apr 13, 2020
Cant Find Rom

More than likely not, due to the bootloader revision.. however since my counter is already up in the dozens I can look at putting some time into finding where the counter is stored, so that we can wipe it at will ;)
Hi , I just fixed ,,,,an old sgh-i7i7 galaxy note, 4.0.4 and I cant find a stock image to root,anywhere all links are dead, including the one in this thread,or if not a stock i just need the image to root it. If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. ty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

This kernel enables custom boot animations (/system/media/sanim.zip), adb root, init.d support, runs a script to auto-root your /system partition, and then you're on your merry way :)

You may need the USB Drivers available here. (Support & Downloads for SGH-I717)

Once the USB Drivers are installed, power off the phone, then hold volume down and power it on, you'll get a screen asking you to hit vol up to continue, do so. This puts the phone in download mode.

Stick the provided pda.tar in the PDA box of Odin3 1.85, flash away!

Install Superuser from the market after booting.

Note that this will increase your flash counter, which is presumably used by Samsung as a reason to decline warranty service (not aware of any reports of this occuring yet...?)

Don't forget the donate link in my signature if you found this useful and want to motivate me to work on overclock/undervolt ;)
    More than likely not, due to the bootloader revision.. however since my counter is already up in the dozens I can look at putting some time into finding where the counter is stored, so that we can wipe it at will ;)
    Ok, it was a simple typo in the root script that prevented su and busybox from being installed properly, oops! :)

Fixed now in the first post, back to regularly scheduled programming.. look for Overclock/Undervolt soon ;)
    +1

I'm interested in a root method for the ota update. I don't really care about tripping the counter, and I'm not wanting to flash roms on this phone (it's my wife's), I just want to debloat and enable gtalk video chat over 4G.

Odin and USB drivers are in the first post.

1. Flash the odin version of this via Odin
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24505604

2. Download this to your sdcard then reboot to recovery and flash this.
    http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip

There you go. Stock rooted

Sent from A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    @goalcam:
    The kernel is built from AT&T source. I haven't examined the Canadian source yet, I'll take a look and see if it'll work.

@bkeaver:
    Appreciated! :)