Extended battery

Search This thread

Biffy

Aug 14, 2007
Anyone know of any retailers (preferably UK) selling the extended battery?

Also, any data yet on the difference it makes to the battery life?

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
Already asked this in the discussion about battery life, but this section is more suitable:
Does anyone know if the "battery pack" is some kind of extension (so that you don't need to take out the small battery), of if it's just a bigger battery to replace the old one?

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
I was just wondering because of this
leoog.png

and because the CarKit is supposed to be charging the device (MicroUSB Port on the kit + car-charger), which will probably be done using the marked port on the pic above. Well, I still hope for an "extension" =)

tibursio

Nov 21, 2008
i dont see the reason to buy the extended battery. it doubles the normal battery, ok, fine.
what about buying a 2nd 1230mah battery (like the normal one) and plug it in whenever the juice is gone from the 1st one? Carrying along another battery is not a big deal as its pretty small. But adding this bulk (extended battery) to this slick phone is worse in my opinion. the result is pretty much the same.

Of course the kickstand is nice, but that's just an 'addon' of the extended battery, it shouldn't be the main reason to buy that thing.

So yea, I'd rather buy another normal battery instead of this thing..

kb0n

Oct 24, 2009
here is a rendering of the extended battery, it replaces the normal battery&cover:
I know that picture, but all you can see from it is that the cover is replaced. No sign about battery replacement ;)
It's very likely that the port (marked in pic above) is used for battery charging (CarKit is supposed to do that), so why should the battery pack not be an extension?!
It would also have the advantage (compared to carrying around a 2nd battery) that you wouldn't need to turn off the device.

Guess we won't know until someone holds one in their hands..or HTC makes an announcement.

--edit--
Another possible indication for extension (at least I think so):
The bigger battery covers up the sim-card slot and the "connector" port. If it was a single battery, you would need to put it in a little askew (as the battery connector lies in the middle of the phone). That wouldn't be possible, because the battery is too large.
Also, I can't imagine that HTC would offer the battery and the cover seperately. So if the cover sticks to the battery, you would face the same problem mentioned above.
I hope that was understandable =) Sorry for my English.

Last edited:

mallman

Aug 17, 2008
i dont see the reason to buy the extended battery. it doubles the normal battery, ok, fine.
what about buying a 2nd 1230mah battery (like the normal one) and plug it in whenever the juice is gone from the 1st one? Carrying along another battery is not a big deal as its pretty small. But adding this bulk (extended battery) to this slick phone is worse in my opinion. the result is pretty much the same.

Of course the kickstand is nice, but that's just an 'addon' of the extended battery, it shouldn't be the main reason to buy that thing.

So yea, I'd rather buy another normal battery instead of this thing..

i disagree. i think it looks great, i think it would make it fit in the palm better and i think carrying anything extra is a hassle :) as well as changing the battery also means you have to power it down to change it out.

tibursio

Nov 21, 2008
you don't have to carry it with you everyday.. just when you know you're going for a longer trip and expect to use the phone more than usually. i dont like the form factor that the extended battery adds to the device, so that is clearly no option for me.
If it fits good in the hand is something you might need to test first, I guess it feels awkward if the ends are thinner and just the middle 'pops' out.

it also 'only' doubles the battery so I thought i'd go better with an extra battery (guess that would be cheaper too, but that's another story).

also booting on the HD2 is extremely fast, I dont think that will be a big hassle for anyone.

but as usual, this is just my opinion and opinions differ between people ;).

kinnyfaifai

Mar 17, 2009
you don't have to carry it with you everyday.. just when you know you're going for a longer trip and expect to use the phone more than usually. i dont like the form factor that the extended battery adds to the device, so that is clearly no option for me.
If it fits good in the hand is something you might need to test first, I guess it feels awkward if the ends are thinner and just the middle 'pops' out.

it also 'only' doubles the battery so I thought i'd go better with an extra battery (guess that would be cheaper too, but that's another story).

also booting on the HD2 is extremely fast, I dont think that will be a big hassle for anyone.

but as usual, this is just my opinion and opinions differ between people ;).

I totally agree, the kickstand is a nice idea but not worth the extra width. You've also got to bare in mind that once we have the chefs cooking up ROMs, tweaks to make it faster and conserve more power will help out the stock battery as well.

AshHD

Nov 26, 2008
London
I was told by handtec that they expect the extended/kickstand battery to be available from 03/12/09 when I placed my order for the HD2 on Monday

Wevenhuis

Nov 10, 2009
Groningen
Extended battery idea

I like the concept as renderd in the photo. In my response I would also like to add the thread on the HTC HD2's carkit. This issue is the replacement of the back cover. A Solution is already present for the iPhone for extending the battery life, e.g. on long trips. The model I had in mind is called the Mophie Juicepack. Now if a company could make something like that, including the embedded connector for the carkit, and the stand all in one all our problems will be solved. I think this idea should be possible to market.