[GUIDE] [UPD][12.dec.12] [TOOLS available] How to Unlock/Root your padfone 2 A68

Search This thread
Great work Padfone 2 community!

Would like to know if anyone has tried this on the IMM761.TW_9.8.8.55-0 firmware?
Did it work?

works on TW 55-0 , but 1 caution from ASUS after I rooted this phone. Asus support center in Taipei told me, this phone no longer able to OTA update. Meaning no upcoming JB update(s). The only way to lock the phone again, is either buy a new one or pay premium service to ASUS to lock it and restore to original factory default. Asus mention, the OTA server checks something in the phone to show if the phone is Factory or Root/Unlock.

Ivalex

Nov 19, 2009
I guess I am stupid because I can't get anything to work.

downloaded everything

but I can't make any commands work

I open the cmd and don't know if the " are suppose to be there or not and nothing works

Hi, as suggested make sure you're in the folder where all the files are in your cmd session, and no " to type

Inviato dal mio PadFone 2 con Tapatalk 2

turtle76

Dec 22, 2008
works on TW 55-0 , but 1 caution from ASUS after I rooted this phone. Asus support center in Taipei told me, this phone no longer able to OTA update. Meaning no upcoming JB update(s). The only way to lock the phone again, is either buy a new one or pay premium service to ASUS to lock it and restore to original factory default. Asus mention, the OTA server checks something in the phone to show if the phone is Factory or Root/Unlock.

I assume that the jb firmware can be downloaded so we can still update ourselves. Anyway once u can root the phone there will be a way to do it :p

Ivalex

Nov 19, 2009
I assume that the jb firmware can be downloaded so we can still update ourselves. Anyway once u can root the phone there will be a way to do it :p

My view is that you can still get the update from asus website and install it with your stock recovery

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

RagnarokRO

Dec 27, 2008
It shld work. I was trying on tw firmware and didn't encountered issues till step 7b which was due to other issue.

Thanks sound like there shouldn't be any problem :)

Thanks! Yep, i know. I own a TF700, the same rules apply for that too. After you unlock and root the device, you still will be able to manually download the OTA and update the firmware yourself. It has being done on the TF700.

So if anybody is will to do this for me via Teamviewer I can compensate them for their time.

Via teamviewer is basically the same thing following the given direction. Even if the phone end up bricking, still your own fault! You can't blame on the person helping you via teamviewer.

Sent from my PadFone 2 using xda premium

Could someone with an unlocked phone dump the /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 partitions and share them?
I'm analizing the unlock tool and I'm about 80% shure what does the unlocker modify but i want to confirm it

It would be really helpful to unlock padfone 1

You can dump it running from a shell(or adb shell) as root:
Code:
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 > /sdcard/mmcblk0p3.img
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 > /sdcard/mmcblk0p4.img

Thank you everyone

kahei036

Oct 9, 2010
Could someone with an unlocked phone dump the /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 partitions and share them?
I'm analizing the unlock tool and I'm about 80% shure what does the unlocker modify but i want to confirm it

Code:

Thank you everyone

See attached mate

Attachments

• mmcblk0p3.img
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • mmcblk0p4.img
    2 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: harpik3d

oroo708

Dec 16, 2010

Code:

Thank you everyone

let us know if u got something.:fingers-crossed:

Ivalex

Nov 19, 2009
The boot.ing has update u probably need to rebuild a new insecure img before u go

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Yep, boot.img needs to be insecured. Hopefully same procedure, I'll check on the WWE.

benthian89

Nov 29, 2010
Currently the update is only rolling out for sets that are bought from Taiwan.

So the rest of us have to either wait for the OTA update or wait for Asus to upload the firmware on their website

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
To build CWM we need the below steps done on rooted Padfone 2.

Dumping stock recovery:

Commands are as follows via ADB:

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/stock-recovery.img
adb pull /sdcard/stock-recovery.img

Then post file in this thread :)

Sent from my PadFone 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello folks,

just wanted to share with you the subject. I'm not a developer, so I cannot go too deeply in the procedure below. what I can ensure is that is working on my personal device, Padfone 2 model A68, bought in Italy with stock firmware IMM76I.WWE_9.8.8.55-0.

DISCLAIMER

should you decide to go for it, remember, I'm just a simple user willing to share a procedure that worked for him, I'm not a smartphone OEM... Accordingly:

I'll not be held responsible if you brick, melt, destroy your device, by following the below procedure... you are the solely and ultimate responsible of your actions and your property.
    if after you unlock or root your phone you need to lock it back, or put it in a Virgin "out-of-the-box" state.... cannot help. consider this procedure irreversible.

If you understand the above and concur, well, you can go for the below procedure. otherwise you're kindly requested to stop reading here and NOT continue. tks a lot.

Backgroung
    the rooting method is quite straight-forward, getting a stock boot.img and manipulate its ramdisk so that the device can then boot insecure.

Credits
    A HUGE thanks to Schriss for his strong support in letting me understand what I was doin on my device:good:

And also a thanks to ChainFire and his insecure adbd (here)

WHAT YOU NEED

1. a padfone 2 with more than 70% battery available, and the above firmware installed (you might wanna try also if your device has different firmware, but I cannot garantee on the results you'll get.

2. this INSECURE ICS boot.img

OR

2a this insecure JB boot.img

OR

2b. you might wanna try this TW JB boot.img from TW JB

3. a valid ADB and FASTBOOT package (lots available within XDA, or already available if you have andorid SDK installed from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html)

4. a valid "su" binary, again you can find it in XDA or attached to this post.

5. Valid usb drivers (see mama ASUS website)

6. the infamous "UnLock.apk" (again kindly provided by ASUS)

ONE CLICK procedure (script based) kindly provided by Padfone.cl

here

OR

STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE (MS WINDOWS OS Only)

0. place all of the files (boot.img, adb and fastboot exe's, SU binary) in one folder of your pc and open a cmd session in it.

1. install drivers at point 5 above

2. Unlock your bootloader: install the apk at point 6. above follows all the instructions to get a bootloader unlocked

3. once done the phone can be put in FASTBOOT mode (black screen with "Fastboot MODE !!!" and ASUS LOGO) , with one of the two methods below.

3a. power off device. then push and hold power on + vol up.

3b. if your device is connected to your pc, verify it is in debug mode (under setup/development) and run "adb reboot-bootloader"

4. if not already done connect the device to your pc and wait the drivers selfconfiguring

5. check if fastboot.exe see your device, type in cmd "fastboot devices", if nothing is shown means you're missing drivers, or using a bad fastboot exe.

6. check if your device boots with the insecure img at point 2. of what-you-need list. type in cmd "fastboot boot boot.img"

6a. if it reboots normally... CONGRATS your device is ok with my boot.img and you can root your phone

6b. if it goes into bootloop or bootlock or in QHUSB_DLOAD state, well sorry you cannot go ahead. just push and hold power on your device. it will reboot using its boot.img Sorry no root for you

7. if you're lucky and you get 6a response, you can now ROOT your device

7a. in cmd session type the below

adb remount (system answer "remount succeded" that's a confirmation you can act as superuser)

adb push su /system/bin/

adb shell

chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

type exit, to get off the adb shell.

7b. Collect superuser.apk at the end of this post and place it in same folders of adb.

In cmd session type

"adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/app/Superuser.apk"

IF YOU JUST WANT YOUR DEVICE ROOTED PROCEDURE STOPS HERE FOLLOWING IS JUST an ADDED-ON

8. OPTIONAL just in case you want to keep the insecure adbd onboard, not necessary to mantain root condition.

8a. put the device in FASTBOOT mode as above and type in cmd "fastboot flash boot boot.img", this just overwrite your stock boot.img:cowboy: and inoculate the insecure boot.img in your device on a stable basis.

guess it's all.

let me know if it's working for you gentlemen, and remember the disclaimer above and in general just make sure you always know what you're doin... I'll post the boot.img file shortly during today.
    CWM building...

Hi just a little update on the subject.

at the moment I'm working on a bootable image for CWM recovery. so far I've now a quite ready image, that boots regularly except for the fact that the screen stays stuck on the ASUS logo.

but the phone is fully reachable via adb in this state.

currently the recovery binary is giving me a segmentation fault, so a memory allocation problem, so I guess need to recompile modding a little bit the graphics.c. additionally it also ask for a postrecoveryboot.sh and I'll also prepare this.

if someone has some tip for me, I'm here.

all the best
    RE:How to Unlock/Root your padfone 2 A68

Hello Ivalex,

[EDITED] im unable to post outside link - the script has attached in this post. a google search 'asus-padfone2-root-tutorial' may finds my article :p

an amazing work, good job and thank for your kind sharing.

ive wrote a detailed article in chinese and made an auto-rooting batch script under windows platform.

just connect the usb cable, change some settings and one click ..

yes, it's really easy to get the root permission in minutes.

im not a professional coder, but with this script may helps someone ;)

Hello folks,

just wanted to share with you the subject. I'm not a developer, so I cannot go too deeply in the procedure below. what I can ensure is that is working on my personal device, Padfone 2 model A68, bought in Italy with stock firmware IMM76I.WWE_9.8.8.55-0.

so the hardest part is made, good work :)

is someone making a CWM?

We are diligently work on it. This is our next step! Give me someday and guess we can have cwm recovery on our A68

reserved

reserved