Xperia Z Ultra Defective Screen, DOA

Search This thread

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
I ordered an Xperia Z Ultra and received it in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, the unit I received has a defective screen. When you press the power button, the screen backlight turns on but stays completely blank (black). Android is still running fine underneath -- pressing back/home/app softkeys gives haptic/audio feedback, pressing volume rocker gives volume up/down sounds, etc. However the screen stays completely blank and the device is unusable.

No matter how many times you press the power button, the screen still remains blank/black. The screen will only turn on correctly, randomly. On my unit, anywhere between 5 and 150 power button presses.

The screen also has a noticable yellow tinge.

Turning-off the phone first does not solve the problem. In fact, the screen is still blank when booting up (i.e.: the "Sony/Xperia" loading screen/boot animation).
Pressing the hard-off button next to the SIM card tray also does not solve the problem.
Pressing and holding Power+VolUp also does not solve the problem.
Factory-resetting via Settings also does not solve the problem.
Reflashing latest firmware from PC Companion or SUS also does not solve the problem. (Flashes correctly, but screen is still defective)

So just beware, for anyone getting a C6802. Either confirm in-person that you don't have a defective unit, or have your retailor confirm for you.

The unit I received:
- C6802 (3G-only), White
- Hong Kong, unbranded
- Manufature date: 13W29 (2013, Week 29)
- Firmware version: 14.1.B.0.471

Edit:
Other YouTubers similar/worse defect on their Xperia Z Ultra:

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
Both video upload by same person, it is ridiculous having two units and both is defective.

Lucky me and my friend + at least 30 users (report at Malaysia lowyat forum), our units running perfectly fine and no issue with great panel display, not as above video look that terrible and full with problem.

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
Good to hear you haven't had any problems. Hopefully this is a limited issue that won't affect a lot of units.

Unfortunately the RMA process for me will take some time, and my retailor just ran out of stock, so looks like I'll be waiting for some time before I can get a replacement.

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
Bought from a reputable seller?

Ordered from Expansys. As I'm in Japan, I ordered from their Japan division (based in Hong Kong), which is unfortunately under-staffed. Sadly, I'll have to pay additional shipping costs for the replacement, as well as paying import tax again for the replacement. Hopefully Expansys will be willing to help cover some of the extra cost, but so far I haven't heard back from them (because they're just under-staffed). :eek:

avenloh

Dec 4, 2009
I'm facing black last night. third day of purchase. after press hard rest button solved

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
I'm facing black last night. third day of purchase. after press hard rest button solved

Did you have the same blank screen problem as in the video?

And can you explain the "hard reset button"?

I have tried soft-off (Power+VolUp, or OFF switch located next to SIM tray), software factory reset (Settings > Backup & Reset), and Sony PC Companion/Update Service (reflash factory firmware), and my device still has the same issue.

Thanks.

avenloh

Dec 4, 2009
Did you have the same blank screen problem as in the video?

And can you explain the "hard reset button"?

I have tried soft-off (Power+VolUp, or OFF switch located next to SIM tray), software factory reset (Settings > Backup & Reset), and Sony PC Companion/Update Service (reflash factory firmware), and my device still has the same issue.

Thanks.

mine is just blank. no line as second video. still can recieve call (using bluttoth). but nothing show. plug in chaarger also cannot charge. press the button beside sim card solved

aleekwen

Feb 6, 2005
I think this is a software issue (there may be multiple root causes/symptoms).

Today my display would not turn on, but the phone appeared to be working OK- audio etc.

I hooked it up to ADB and saw many messages about inability to turn the dislay on.

Did a adb reboot command and all is well.
Didn't know about the reset switch - I think that would have worked also.

So I believe the phone gets into a state where the display will not turn on (and requires a reboot). Adb reboot is not practical. A hard reset may be, but I need to carry a reset tool with me.

Had the Ultra since last Thursday (so 5 days and 1 occurence). Not sure on root cause (I have a Pebble watch and it's battery also drained at the same time and the Ultra was in a state where it was not charging properly).

Will see if it happens again.

Sent from my SGH-I467M using xda app-developers app

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor

Today my display would not turn on, but the phone appeared to be working OK- audio etc.

I hooked it up to ADB and saw many messages about inability to turn the dislay on.

So I believe the phone gets into a state where the display will not turn on (and requires a reboot). Adb reboot is not practical. A hard reset may be, but I need to carry a reset tool with me.

Had the Ultra since last Thursday (so 5 days and 1 occurence). Not sure on root cause (I have a Pebble watch and it's battery also drained at the same time and the Ultra was in a state where it was not charging properly).

Will see if it happens again.

The phone auto restart when you take out your SIM card also.

aleekwen

Feb 6, 2005
Good to know - BTW taking out the SIM tray/card seems very difficult (at least for me) - any hints on how to do this quickly would be appreciated.

Thanks

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008

Thanks for your input.

I think there are different problems that cause the same/similar symptom.

On my device, no matter if I reset (via Power+VolUp or reset button), or adb reboot, or factory reset, my screen still turns on blank, as I described in the first post. Even when turning on the phone, the Sony boot animation does not display -- only a blank screen.

FYI: You can also power-off the device by holding Power+VolUp until it vibrates 3 times (same as the reset switch next to the SIM tray).

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
Note: received the phone yesterday on the 6th, no screen issues were present. It's a white unit.

Had this randomly start happening to me today while my phone was plugged into my car radio. The phone was laid flat. I hooked the phone up to the PC and reinstalled the latest firmware again and it seemed to clear it. I didn't have the issue on the prior firmware, but who knows.

Edit: still randomly happening and I can't recreate the issue. Screen goes off or I turn the screen off and it may or may not come back up blank on the first press. Upon startup the phone displays properly, the Sony logo and animation are visible. It just randomly produces a black screen when turning the screen back on. I think this is a software issue for me as it didn't happen until today and isn't consistent.

Last edited:

Taco Jackson

Aug 14, 2007
I received my Xperia Z Ultra this morning from Negri Electronics, which was shipped direct from Hong Kong, and it has the/similar screen issue. If the phone powers off for any reason, either by way of power management timeout or by pressing the power button, then it's dead. For me, no illuminated black screen and no OS sounds, just dead. I can reset via volume up + power or the side reset switch but yeah...

For what it's worth, the phone arrived in a retail Xperia box but the retail box was not wrapped in any kind of cellophane. I just lifted the lid off to a phone. Is that normal for Hong Kong packaging or did someone decide to sell a known defect as new retail?

Rado_vr6

Sep 16, 2010
I received my Xperia Z Ultra this morning from Negri Electronics, which was shipped direct from Hong Kong, and it has the/similar screen issue. If the phone powers off for any reason, either by way of power management timeout or by pressing the power button, then it's dead. For me, no illuminated black screen and no OS sounds, just dead. I can reset via volume up + power or the side reset switch but yeah...

For what it's worth, the phone arrived in a retail Xperia box but the retail box was not wrapped in any kind of cellophane. I just lifted the lid off to a phone. Is that normal for Hong Kong packaging or did someone decide to sell a known defect as new retail?

Mine arrived from a different retailer in the same condition. The phone itself and accessories were sealed of course.

Taco Jackson

Aug 14, 2007
Also, my version of the power off death is only when on battery. If the phone is charging, I can power it on and off no problem. Each time I do, I hear the audible power off click. However, if the phone is unplugged and running on battery, then most every time I power it off, I hear no audible click - just the screen goes black silently - and it's frozen/off. This is different than the original poster in that it seems his device is still running and the screen may be "on" but black. Mine, power off and it's completely dead until reset - but only on battery (regardless of battery level obviously). If its useful or relevant to anyone, I'm not using a sim at all. I have tried with a sim in, but it still exhibited the freeze behavior.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Also, my version of the power off death is only when on battery. If the phone is charging, I can power it on and off no problem. Each time I do, I hear the audible power off click. However, if the phone is unplugged and running on battery, then most every time I power it off, I hear no audible click - just the screen goes black silently - and it's frozen/off. This is different than the original poster in that it seems his device is still running and the screen may be "on" but black. Mine, power off and it's completely dead until reset - but only on battery (regardless of battery level obviously). If its useful or relevant to anyone, I'm not using a sim at all. I have tried with a sim in, but it still exhibited the freeze behavior.

It happens more often on battery. While charging it didn't give me the black screen near as often. It happened maybe once every 10 screen cycles. All this money and so many of us are having issues already. Should have kept my HTC One. Im sending this one back and will be waiting for my replacement. if the next one has this issue, I will be sure never to purchase another Sony phone.

Does anyone with these issues have a BLACK one? So far from what I've seen, it's mainly the WHITE ones. I'm going to return my white one and request a black one instead if that's the case.

Sorry bro here's my black one...

I have a screen issue, it started only when in a call and moving the phone away from my face it won't light up until the call ends, you can test it by calling your own number and putting your hand over the proximity sensor - the screen goes of but won't come on again when you remove your hand or the call ends - this happens 100% of the time, the proximity sensor is working 100%

Now I'm having trouble when turning the screen off with the power button and back on - it is random sometimes it works sometimes not

Latest firmware and did an update/repair, don't know if the problem existed before update

Problem with this is knowing if it's a fixable software issue or a hardware issue in which case I would return the phone - only have it 2 days

gut feel is it's software glitch and everyone has it just not obvious yet

That's EXACTLY what happened to me. I made a phone call, tried to power on the screen while making a call and it just wouldn't work. Also, while trying out the camera for the first time, the camera app froze and had to be reset. The next morning is when the screen issues happened. I ended up sending the phone back, I checked the tracking number, should be there tomorrow afternoon. My replacement will get sent out same or next day.
    Mmm sounds good, this make probabbly a fix with simple update firmware.....

can any test in a faulty xpereia if run camera app screen goes???

Put app camera in center to run when screen dont show anything.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk 4
    damn
    my new second Z ultra went to DOA in 15% battery and cant turn it on again!
    what do i do?
    this is happened after i changed my first zu that was with same issue and got newer.i did update 475 but issue is reminded even after update.
    damn sony what is this issue so z had this issue too after lunch !
    edit:after ejecting sim card from slot phone was restart and display tuned on!what is this problem?why sony cant solve this?hardware or software may be reason?