Free alternative to TiBu for freezing apps

Search This thread

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Yes

Sent From My Droid Ultra

Not entirely, some apps can't be disabled. A lot of system apps don't allow disabling and you need need a separate app with root access to freeze them.

Just wanted to share this with others who might have the same opinion about paying for TiBu pro just to get the "Freeze/Defrost apps" option.

Sent from a carrier pigeon

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Not entirely, some apps can't be disabled. A lot of system apps don't allow disabling and you need need a separate app with root access to freeze them.

Just wanted to share this with others who might have the same opinion about paying for TiBu pro just to get the "Freeze/Defrost apps" option.

So when you freeze said apps w said app it's different than disabling them?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
So when you freeze said apps w said app it's different than disabling them?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

If said app has option to disable in settings menu its basically the same. If said app does not allow disable through settings(most system apps do not allow this) then you must use TiBu pro or some other form of that to completely disable or "freeze" it.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
If said app has option to disable in settings menu its basically the same. If said app does not allow disable through settings(most system apps do not allow this) then you must use TiBu pro or some other form of that to completely disable or "freeze" it.

Agreed... So what's the difference between freezing and disabling?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Agreed... So what's the difference between freezing and disabling?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

Nothing really, carriers just don't want you disabling bloat apps that generate revenue so that option isn't given in the settings menu for most of them. A lot can be disabled through the settings menu but for those that can't be you need an app that can do that same function the OEM doesn't allow by default.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Nothing really, carriers just don't want you disabling bloat apps that generate revenue so that option isn't given in the settings menu for most of them. A lot can be disabled through the settings menu but for those that can't be you need an app that can do that same function the OEM doesn't allow by default.

Therefore you're in agreement to my answer to the question "Does freezing have the same effect as disabling...?"

Answer: Yes

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Therefore you're in agreement to my answer to the question "Does freezing have the same effect as disabling...?"

Answer: Yes

Sent From My Droid Ultra

To the extent the app allows disabling through settings, yes, because if the app does not allow disabling by default technically its not the same effect. You need to either rename that app in /system with a .bak extension(as far as I remember that's how its done) or use a separate app to freeze(disable) it.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
To the extent the app allows disabling through settings, yes, because if the app does not allow disabling by default technically its not the same effect. You need to either rename that app in /system with a .bak extension(as far as I remember that's how its done) or use a separate app to freeze(disable) it.

Also agree. So what is the difference in the end effect? I understand fully the processes you describe..... What are the different effects?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Also agree. So what is the difference in the end effect? I understand fully the processes you describe..... What are the different effects?

Sent From My Droid Ultra

From what I can see the only difference is a disabled app is shown in Settings-Apps-Disabled, whereas when you "freeze" it, its as if you uninstalled it from the system.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
From what I can see the only difference is a disabled app is shown in Settings-Apps-Disabled, whereas when you "freeze" it, its as if you uninstalled it from the system.

Well if you take OTA while app is either frozen or disabled it works no problem. If you uninstall it it will fail.

Also uninstalling a system app will free up space in ram. Suggesting that is gone. Freezing/disabling will not.

Explain how these are the same.

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
Well if you take OTA while app is either frozen or disabled it works no problem. If you uninstall it it will fail.

Also uninstalling a system app will free up space in ram. Suggesting that is gone. Freezing/disabling will not.

Explain how these are the same.

Sent From My Droid Ultra

I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said "as if it was uninstalled from the system" I only meant that if you browsed the apps in the settings menu said app would not exist anywhere in that menu, but the actual file would still be in /system/app or /system/priv-app, that is why OTAs are not an issue as the system verification sees the files are still there.

"Freezing" will not free up any user storage space since most apps you freeze reside in /system which doesn't count as user space. but it will certainly free up RAM as the frozen application is not allowed to run.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
I think you misunderstood what I meant. When I said "as if it was uninstalled from the system" I only meant that if you browsed the apps in the settings menu said app would not exist anywhere in that menu, but the actual file would still be in /system/app or /system/priv-app, that is why OTAs are not an issue as the system verification sees the files are still there.

"Freezing" will not free up any user storage space since most apps you freeze reside in /system which doesn't count as user space. but it will certainly free up RAM as the frozen application is not allowed to run.

True.

I think we're just arguing different points. I'm saying that freezing and disabling have the same EFFECT. Whereas you're saying they're different in the processes involved. Apples and oranges. We're both right. I answered OPs question simply.....you chose to elaborate.

Therefore I'll discontinue participation in this specific discussion.

Sent From My Droid Ultra

xDroid4Lifex

Jan 28, 2014
True.

I think we're just arguing different points. I'm saying that freezing and disabling have the same EFFECT. Whereas you're saying they're different in the processes involved. Apples and oranges. We're both right. I answered OPs question simply.....you chose to elaborate.

Therefore I'll discontinue participation in this specific discussion.

Sent From My Droid Ultra

Exactly haha, but it does need a little bit of elaboration if one doesn't understand the process of freezing. I'm the OP btw :) someone else asked the question about disable/freezing.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a free solution to TiBu pros "freeze/defrost" option see link in OP.

doogald

May 27, 2010
Nothing really, carriers just don't want you disabling bloat apps that generate revenue so that option isn't given in the settings menu for most of them.

This I think is wrong. Every third party system app that I know of can be disabled.All of the Amazon apps can be disabled. Ingress can be disabled. IMDB can be disabled. The evil Caller Name ID can be disabled, as can NFL Mobile. VZ Navigator, I think even Gmail and Google calendar - all can be disabled. I am pretty sure that the only system apps that can't be disabled are critical apps that aren't third party bloatware. Maybe there is one or two, but surely most of them can be disabled.