Wireless Hotspot hack procedure *Working*

Search This thread

gtabnoob

Dec 22, 2010
****** UPDATE - Foxfi is no longer free - This hack still works!*******

Hi guys another poster tipped me off to the entilement hack to get the stock hotspot app working and I tried it and it works. I figured i would post it here to take care of people waiting for a foxfi update and to keep the procedure listed in the RAZR HD section. As always, use at your own risk.

Here's what you need:

SQL Lite Editor (not the manager) - it's $2.99 from the play store.

Here is the procedure:

1) Open SQL Lite Editor and in the default "Apps" list, scroll all the way down to "Settings Storage" but you must choose the one with the hammer and wrench graphic. There are two choices there - gotta be hammer and wrench. Tap on it to open.

2) Tap "settings.db" then tap "settings"

3) Scroll down to line 68 where it says "entitlement_check" and tap on it to highlight it and then tap on the pencil on the top of the screen to edit it.

4) Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap "save"

5) Use the back button to exit the app and hold the power button and reboot the phone.

When it starts back up just go into the "Mobile Hotspot" app provided by verizon and you're all set!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

thejondude

Aug 3, 2010
newport beach
sweet thanks... btw are you enjoying the HD as much as i am? i came from a galaxy nexus then a sg3 now the razr hd maxx and i dono why but i couldnt be more happy lol not even worried about the boot loader

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago
I know I'm enjoying my Razr Maxx HD.. Even though I finally had to charge it after 24+ hours of use.. Sending this post via my iPhone 5! (Don't hate, I'm an equal opportunity user)

Sent from my iPhone 5

Shoot...I came across your post and had to say I agree! I have a One X & an Atrix HD. I totally understand where you're coming from :D

Reactions: Jay A whY

Xelios029

Oct 19, 2012
So I'm getting an issue here. First off I followed the directions but I don't see a pencil anywhere. Regardless, I selected line 68 and hit the menu button to open it up and edit it. Problem is, I'm getting "error code 14: unable to open database file". Anybody got a tip?

EDIT: Nevermind, issue resolved. Downloaded an old APK which wouldn't do it. Guess I'm going to have to buy it now that it worked...

Last edited:

lazarus2297

Sep 2, 2010
North Carolina
sweet thanks... btw are you enjoying the HD as much as i am? i came from a galaxy nexus then a sg3 now the razr hd maxx and i dono why but i couldnt be more happy lol not even worried about the boot loader

Pretty much the same trail I followed to the RAZR HD (with the regular RAZR and Maxx mixed in) although I have always been a Motorola fan since back in the dumbphone days (e815)
And I love it so far

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

JackTheRipper13

Dec 21, 2010
Pretty much the same trail I followed to the RAZR HD (with the regular RAZR and Maxx mixed in) although I have always been a Motorola fan since back in the dumbphone days (e815)
And I love it so far

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

I went OG Droid
Droid X
Droid Bionic
Droid RAZR Maxx
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S3
Droid RAZR HD Maxx

I have a freaking problem I think......

I went OG Droid
Droid X
Droid Bionic
Droid RAZR Maxx
Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S3
Droid RAZR HD Maxx

I have a freaking problem I think......

Me too!

Thunderbolt (Voice and Data on 3G!)
Bionic (Horrible Radio!)
Droid Razr (Didn't get to use it that much, damn Best Buy mobile sold me a used/touched/tampered phone!)
Rezound (Best Radio, Ever! Superb screen for its size)
Galaxy Nexus (Horrible radio, great development community)
GS3 (Better radio than GN - just wished the radio was on par with the Rezound, cheap build quality, great hardware specs)
Razr Maxx HD (Great build quality! Expected more from a Moto Radio)

Sent from my iPhone 5

bwhite757

Dec 20, 2009
Me too!

Bionic (Horrible Radio!)
Droid Razr (Didn't get to use it that much, damn Best Buy mobile sold me a used/touched/tampered phone!)
GS3 (Better radio than GN - just wished the radio was on par with the Rezound, cheap build quality, great hardware specs)

Sent from my iPhone 5

I'm thinking about jumping from my SGS3 to the Razr HD Dev edition. Are you having buyer's remorse or would you do it again. I'm dropping way to many calls with my SGS3, even more than I did with the GNex. I really miss Moto's build quality..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Xelios029

Oct 19, 2012
Thought I'd tip you all to this, FoxFi works if you download the add-on thats in the play store for FoxFi.

blacknet101

Dec 4, 2010
California
by using this hack, when i use the USB tethering, I will be using up the Data i have on my plan correct? the only thing is that i dont have to pay for the Hotspot?

gtabnoob

Dec 22, 2010
Yes nearly every app had been tested essentially, including barnacle. Nothing worked when the phone was released.

Now, Foxfi has been updated and it works so hopefully all the others follow suit as well. Feel free to test it out and report back.

OtechMobile

Feb 20, 2010
Charleston
Me too!

Bionic (Horrible Radio!)

Sent from my iPhone 5

I 2nd ur opinion on expecting more from the radio. It just doesn't seen to get enough signal bars as other previously owned moto devices. I haven't had any dropped calls yet, but can't really complain it is a new device and maybe it can be fixed on a future update!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda premium

acorsino

Jul 9, 2010
I have a maxx HD not rooted and I also downloaded the fox fi add on app and it is not working for me. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD MAXX using xda premium

antawnm26

Apr 3, 2008
Atlanta
Im confused really...whats wrong with using the android wifi its working fine..Does foxfi do anything special that the android wifi app doesnt?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****** UPDATE - Foxfi is no longer free - This hack still works!*******

Hi guys another poster tipped me off to the entilement hack to get the stock hotspot app working and I tried it and it works. I figured i would post it here to take care of people waiting for a foxfi update and to keep the procedure listed in the RAZR HD section. As always, use at your own risk.

Here's what you need:

SQL Lite Editor (not the manager) - it's $2.99 from the play store.

Here is the procedure:

1) Open SQL Lite Editor and in the default "Apps" list, scroll all the way down to "Settings Storage" but you must choose the one with the hammer and wrench graphic. There are two choices there - gotta be hammer and wrench. Tap on it to open.

2) Tap "settings.db" then tap "settings"

3) Scroll down to line 68 where it says "entitlement_check" and tap on it to highlight it and then tap on the pencil on the top of the screen to edit it.

4) Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap "save"

5) Use the back button to exit the app and hold the power button and reboot the phone.

When it starts back up just go into the "Mobile Hotspot" app provided by verizon and you're all set!

Hope this helps.
    You talking about this mod in this thread when you say wifi tether, or something else?
    Thanks

I'm talking about the WiFi Tether app.

First root and then download v3.2 Beta 2 from here:

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Then go into the app and go to settings->Change Device-Profile and choose "generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"

That seems to work best on this device (read that somewhere else on the forums.)

I'm using that method and it works great.
    Hey guys...If you go to the Google development website android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users) http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ and download the apk - wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk. Just go to 'Settings' > 'Change Device-Profile' > select "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0). Enter your SSID and Passphrase and it works great without having to purchase an app. Note: I have tried wifi_tether_v3_3-pre1 & 2.apk and can confirm that they do not work with VZW Razr HD XT926. Enjoy the Free Stuff!!!!:good:
    I know I'm enjoying my Razr Maxx HD.. Even though I finally had to charge it after 24+ hours of use.. Sending this post via my iPhone 5! (Don't hate, I'm an equal opportunity user)

Sent from my iPhone 5
    I am using the 'entitlement_check' workaround on my Verizon 9.18.94.XT926 (Razr Maxx HD). It is rooted but locked.

When I activate the mobile hotspot on my cell, my computer and others' phones are able to see the activate hotspot. However, my PS3 and tablet (Nexus 7) do not see my cell's hotspot. What is even more baffling, is that when I use FoxFi, the PS3 and tablet see my cell's hotspot, no problem. Does this have something to do with the DHCP settings or what? Many thanks!