Wifi Sharing chewing battery life

Search This thread

alloneword

Jan 22, 2010
Got my GS2 on Friday. Charged it when I got home to full before turning it on for the first time.

Getting a bit less than 10hrs of battery life, which isn't too bad, but use hasn't been strenuous, so not thrilled.

I looked at the battery usage and WiFi Sharing has been chewing through my battery. When I was first setting up my phone I configured it, as I do use, but haven't since turned it on, or connected to it from my laptop.

When I started writing this new thread I see there is another thread on the Optimus 2x doing the same thing. Is this a bug in Android with Dual Core CPUs?

Attachments

• SC20110508-221328.jpg
    SC20110508-221328.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,236

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Wifi sharing is a mega power-hog, as it is essentially making a base-station from your phone. So a lot of power is used as the wifi will be in use fairly heavily.

Same on every device. Hero used to get quite warm using wifi tether.

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
That's surprisingly good battery life for leaving wifi sharing on.. a 10 hour wifi hotspot from a phone is about the best you can get. Not even sure if those portable wifi routers get that kind of battery life.

alloneword

Jan 22, 2010
Yes, I know it can use a huge amount of battery. But I haven't been using it. I configured it (ie, put in my WPA key, the same one I had on my Nexus One) so I could use it, but then turned it off.

I shutdown my phone last night (took out SD card to copy a bunch of music over quickly). Since I turned the phone back on, I haven't even been into the wifi sharing menu and it's used 15% of the battery.

I will try removing the config and see if it crops up again in the list tomorrow.

Cheers, Tim.

Mr_Mjolnir

Feb 18, 2011
I also have this, but do not use the feature, nor do I start it, but it still keeps appearing.

Any advice?

Swyped from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Yes, I know it can use a huge amount of battery. But I haven't been using it. I configured it (ie, put in my WPA key, the same one I had on my Nexus One) so I could use it, but then turned it off.

I shutdown my phone last night (took out SD card to copy a bunch of music over quickly). Since I turned the phone back on, I haven't even been into the wifi sharing menu and it's used 15% of the battery.

I will try removing the config and see if it crops up again in the list tomorrow.

Cheers, Tim.

It sounds like you might have left it enabled - mine is disabled and does not use up any battery.

alloneword

Jan 22, 2010
That's surprisingly good battery life for leaving wifi sharing on.. a 10 hour wifi hotspot from a phone is about the best you can get. Not even sure if those portable wifi routers get that kind of battery life.

This is the problem. Wifi sharing is off. I configured it, but it is off. I 'forced exited' it from from the battery usage menu after I saw it, but at some point it started again.

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
This is the problem. Wifi sharing is off. I configured it, but it is off. I 'forced exited' it from from the battery usage menu after I saw it, but at some point it started again.

Force exit won't do anything, it will just start up again. Make sure the checkbox is disabled. If it is disabled, try enable it and then disable it.

Can't seem to replicate it here - when I disable the checkbox it turns off.

balto

Dec 29, 2007
Toronto
The same thing happened to me. I configured the sharing never turned it on and it was killing my battery. I checked a million times that sharing was not active but it made no difference the service was always running. Killing the service didn't work it kept coming back. I did a full hard reset and haven't setup sharing since and it has yet to be an issue.

Kinda sucks as I need this feature. This did not happen in my atrix which is a dual core phone aswell.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

alloneword

Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, I will keep an eye on it tomorrow. I wonder if it is a conflict between Kies and wifi sharing.

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely looks like I'm not the only one who has seen it.

Cheers, Tim.

Mr_Mjolnir

Feb 18, 2011
Never set it up and never plan on using it. Can I freeze/remove it in titanium backup?

Swyped from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

vimto25

Jan 1, 2009
Burton-On-Trent,UK
Its that kies air once connected it starts that wi fi sharing. Best way is to freeze it and many others :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
same here set it up and not using it but it is sucking up battery .. this is a big problem. this phone isnot ready yet for my daily driver.. think i am going back to my sgs

i was getting 10% usage in about 2 hours.. i normaly get 3-5 % overnight with my sgs

anyway i have read a few threads and froze (makes them unruneable /using titanium backup .
software update
wifi sharing
and wifi sharing manager

i can always re-enable them if i want to tether

i will keep you informed on how this effects battery

i also used autostarts to disable accuweather which kept starting up.. i dont use any weather widgets other that beautiful weather which has its own

Last edited:

alloneword

Jan 22, 2010
Sitting on 7% battery now. Been going all day, 10.5hrs, and NO Wifi sharing in the battery usage. Didn't turn Wifi tethering on at all today.

Leggenda

Oct 17, 2008
This morning it happened again ... But unlike yesterday, instead of killing the process I tried to enable and disable wifi hotspot and the process has finished eating cpu and battery!

tomelsmith

May 9, 2011
I have the same problem, both Wi-fi sharing and Wi-fi sharing manager appear in my 'running services' and are consuming a lot of battery power.

I have not enabled wifi tethering, I've tried enabling and disabling, but this has not fixed the problem. I have used Kies air before, but have made sure that this is not running too.

I can force stop wi-fi sharing and wi-fi sharing manager, but they will re-appear as soon as you re-enable wi-fi.

Any idea what this is? or how to stop it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This problem has been bothering me, too. Never enabled Wi-Fi sharing and never used it but still, it consumes 10% of the battery. I do quite often use Wi-Fi though.

Maybe the 10% battery usage associated with Wi-Fi sharing is owing to the actual Wi-Fi usage such as browsing the Internet, checking emails, etc.?

I don't think so. I used to have wi-fi sharing on my power usage list but not anymore, even when using wi-fi for over 20 hours. I believe the wi-fi sharing usage comes up when you enable 'Use wireless networks' in 'Location and security'.

After a fresh flash of KE2, the only setting I changed was to not allow Google to collect anonymous data and voila! Wi-fi sharing no longer appears on my usage.
    I too have had this problem. Please see another thread I just posted in regarding AP Mobile being a cpu hog: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098206
    Is there a chance this app/widget could be activating Wifi Sharing? :O

I've had AP Mobile frozen since day 1 and Wifi sharing still got kicked on. I'm doing great with wifi on 100% of the time, but with Wifi sharing frozen.
    I'm glad to report that after a few days with the CF-ROOT kernel posted in the dev forum, Wi-Fi sharing has never shown up, and ive been installing apps etc.. Ive avoided using any of samsung's apps though, and ive avoided upgrading google maps (someone mentioned earlier in this thread t hey suspected google maps..)

:)
    I was having the same wifi sharing issue. Updated to the new version through Kies yesterday, we will see if it helps.

I have a UK sgs2. n00b here, non-rooted phone - is KF2 referring to the last 3 characters of the baseband version? or Build Number?

After updating my phone now says
    • Baseband Version: I910XXXKE7
    • Build Number GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

I am guessing this means I am using KF3 now?

Yes..you are on kf3
    I am on KF3 for two weeks now, there is no Wi-Fi sharing stuff anymore whatsoever, and my I surf via Wi-Fi for almost 90 mins per day.
    Regards.