KindleFree (Free your kindle)

Search This thread

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Within the last week I have been on vacation in Minnesota and my Dad has a Kindle Fire HD...after seeing how horrible the Amazon Homescreen is and all that can be done to help improve the device I decided to write an application that would help users perform general tasks on the Kindle Fire HD after rooting it that would make their experience better.

I have yet to test this on anything but the Kindle Fire HD. I know this will not work on the original Kindle Fire, but 2nd generation on up may be able to use this as well but I have not tested it as I don't have one of these devices.

I made two version, a free and a pro version. The free version will allow you to install a custom launcher and the Android market. Beyond that I'm asking for ~1.00 for the pro version (Well I get $1.00 anyways after Googles cut) to help development and buy me some StarBucks :)

Tip: long press on items to remove them from your device.

Here are the links to both in the Android market:

Pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree_License

Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree (I just published this one so it may not be up yet...)

I've also attached the free one as well.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you want to see more added to this.

Attachments

• KindleFree_Free.apk
    467.6 KB · Views: 38,712
Last edited:

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
Thanks Stephen. Excellent work. Might I suggest a couple of things?
1. An undo option for launchers and the miscellaneous stuff.
2. Reminder that if installing an alternate launcher, kindle books will no longer work.
3. A warning against updating any of the Amazon apps in google play store.
Just some ideas.
Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
Something,not sure what, broke the built in kindle book store. Movies and music work but the book store hangs. Any ideas?

Last edited:

drugfreejonnyxxx

Dec 23, 2012
Stericson, I've already done all this and have no need for the app - but you hit it out of the park! You got a PayPal donate page?

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Hey guys,

Sorry I was travelling yesterday back home.

So, I do have paypal Stericson.g1 AT Gmail (email)

@gunnyman

-- Long press on an item to undo it
2. Reminder that if installing an alternate launcher, kindle books will no longer work.
-- I will add that, I wasn't aware that this happens, is this normal when replacing the launcher? Like does this happen if done manually?
-- What should the warning say?

Stericson, I've already done all this and have no need for the app - but you hit it out of the park! You got a PayPal donate page?

Reactions: oOBubbleBoyOo

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
When you replace the launcher it breaks the kindle book app. You can install the play store version but you lose the built in book store. If you update the Kindle mobile app it breaks the Amazon store search. This is on the 8.9 BTW.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

The Amazon Apps are designated for otter. Which I assume is the device codename. The play store versions don't cooperate with the fire framework.

KindleFireGuy

Jan 31, 2012
King
Do not update amazon books,music,shop or it will mess up compatibility! my idea for update warning

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

aka if you accidentally update the apps you can go into system apps and reinstall them

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
I bought the paid version even though I didn't need it (pretty much have Google and Nova fully installed already), but I'm looking forward to more options.

Just a suggestion, but maybe you could add more Google apps to it, like Google+? The Play Store pretends that Google+ isn't compatible so it won't allow you to download it, but it side loads just fine. There's a lot of apps like that, unfortunately, so maybe a build prop edit shortcuts could also be added, like one to mimic a more universally accepted tablet and one to quickly return to Kindle Fire HD for stubborn apps. These would obviously be for the paid version.

Also for the paid version, maybe you could add the voice search framework and apps too.

There's a ton of potential for this app, thanks for putting it together!

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

meddle70

Nov 14, 2010
Best two dollars. Thanks! Saved me loads of time! Can't wait for you to expand the selection our Fire HD's can do! :)

natuan77vn

Apr 19, 2012
Within the last week I have been on vacation in Minnesota and my Dad has a Kindle Fire HD...after seeing how horrible the Amazon Homescreen is and all that can be done to help improve the device I decided to write an application that would help users perform general tasks on the Kindle Fire HD after rooting it that would make their experience better.

I have yet to test this on anything but the Kindle Fire HD. I know this will not work on the original Kindle Fire, but 2nd generation on up may be able to use this as well but I have not tested it as I don't have one of these devices.

I made two version, a free and a pro version. The free version will allow you to install a custom launcher and the Android market. Beyond that I'm asking for ~1.00 for the pro version (Well I get $1.00 anyways after Googles cut) to help development and buy me some StarBucks :)

Pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree_License

Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree (I just published this one so it may not be up yet...)

Please let me know what you guys think and if you want to see more added to this.

Thank you very much
It works perfectly on my KFHD 7

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
"The free version will allow you to install Android market" ... but you have to download it from the market? How, if market isn't installed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the comments guys, I made some updates and uploaded the new version.
    Hey guys,

Sorry I was travelling yesterday back home.

So, I do have paypal Stericson.g1 AT Gmail (email)

@gunnyman

-- Long press on an item to undo it
    -- I will add that, I wasn't aware that this happens, is this normal when replacing the launcher? Like does this happen if done manually?
    -- What should the warning say?

This works great on kindle fire 2nd gen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "The free version will allow you to install Android market" ... but you have to download it from the market? How, if market isn't installed?

Just google the googleplay.apk download it to the device and open it with a file manager,