I have tried a couple of notification apps namely: The above "Knock2
", Active Notify
, Dynamic Notifications
- The easiest yet efficient layout of all is the one Motorola came out with. This is because in case of the MOTO all work ( read notification without unlocking, go to app, dismiss, turnoff screen or unlock screen) can all be done within a long press+swipe option i.e., one touch. But in case of Knock2 app, you need two distinct touches which makes it slower. The notifierpro comes second, as the message can be read and dismissed as well as accessed in one touch or swipe, but this one got no option to tun off screen or choose to read notification from multiple apps.
- The notifierpro app has two advantages.
- 1) The app can function both within a lock screen as well as outside a lock screen. While in case of other apps, it just functions for the lock screen. The notifierpro app also got all the options like screen awakening as well other useful customization's and hence makes needless the other notification apps.
- 2) This app does not sacrifice the Huawei or Android lock screen while in case of others, it takes over the lock screen. Some might actually like this as they dont like the default lock screens, but in case of those wanting customization's, shortcuts, widgets, guest login mode, etc, on lock screen, this would be a problem.
- All these notification apps got the following faults:
- In case of detailed reading of the message, only the first message can be read. When the second message reaches, it shows up as "2 new message" etc and no ability to read it.
- None of these apps synchronize with the android notification panel. In fact, all these apps just beam the same message that is shown on the android top bar. All you can do is dismiss the message that is beamed, but it still remains on the android notification panel as well as the top bar. And if one was to use the Huawei lock screen ( not the password lock), one can bring down the notification panel from the lock screen and access notifications and apps directly from there. So if the android was to merely allow awakening, it can do all the tasks that these apps do, by the android notification panel itself. The android notification panel can in fact do much more.
And finally the whole idea of such notifications would clash with privacy, in case someone else was to use the phone. So there should be a quick toggle option to Allow/Not allow the detail reading of messages or turn off this notification function.
Now the real deal is in someone creating an app combining the advantage of all, yet keeping it simple
Anyone with bright ideas for your Huawei Emotion UI upgrade ?.
My suggestion is to go for notifierpro layout but with added options:
- 1) Ability to turn off screen after dismissing, in lockscreen mode.
- 2) Read multiple notifications from single app as well as multiple apps. Reading multiple notifications from a single app can be done by swiping the pop up in a left/right direction that switches to the next or previous messages. While reading notifications on multiple apps can be done by having separate popups open in layers of rows.
- 3) Synchronize with android notification by one level i.e., synchronized with the top bar. So dismissing a notification should remove it from the top bar, but yet available within the slide down notification panel. So one could dismiss something for now from the pop up and decide to later access notification panel and read them all.
- 4) Toggle on/off button in notification panel to quick turn on/off the active/pop up notification.
Remember that P6 don't have an Amoled screen, so the layout of the MOTO is not really useful for the P6. So this idea of having first two small icons of the apps shown from which one is to be touched and accessed, isn't really useful because in the IPS display the whole screen is going to be awakened anyway and not just the small icons being awakened in case of amoled screen. So when that is the case, then more of the screen should be taken advantage, so its better to have the detailed message directly pop up on screen as the notifierpro does. This is also minimalist and no need to have the whole lockscreen changed, and this gives advantage of having pop ups even outside the lock screen.
Huawei Ascend P6-U06 (B122)