[Q] why can't custom Roms be flashed?

Search This thread

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
So I read on safe root method that with a locked bootloader you can't flash Roms or do twrrp or cwm. Coming from a Motorola droid RAZR maxx xt912 and having a locked bootloader I was able to flash any rom for my device and deal with whatever bugs. Is this still true for my note 2 with a locked bootloader?

mikelikesbikes

Apr 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20
I also came from the RAZR and I have wondered the same thing. I trust what the Devs say though. I would like to know though whats the difference just for my own personal knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

jcollier

Jan 11, 2008
Houston, TX
I also came from the RAZR and I have wondered the same thing. I trust what the Devs say though. I would like to know though whats the difference just for my own personal knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Having only done a very short search, my guess is the Droid MAXX is using something like the bootstrap method. While this doesn't unlock the bootloader, it uses an exploit to allow a custom recovery and then custom roms.

mikelikesbikes

Apr 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20
Yeah they use Safestrap. I think its the same method that's used on the S4 and N3. I don't think custom kernels can be flashed though so no over clock for them.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda app-developers app

akellar

Jan 9, 2011
Iowa
So I read on safe root method that with a locked bootloader you can't flash Roms or do twrrp or cwm. Coming from a Motorola droid RAZR maxx xt912 and having a locked bootloader I was able to flash any rom for my device and deal with whatever bugs. Is this still true for my note 2 with a locked bootloader?

I believe there's 2 things in play here. First I believe that device was able to utilize kexec which allowed you to flash kernels and therefor allowed aosp roms. Second, safestrap also comes into play. In theory, safestrap would work for a locked Note 2 but I don't believe anybody has bothered making it work so I can't be sure.