LG G3 vs Sony Xperia Z2 Camera

Search This thread

ipmanwck

I am interested in both these phones and am having trouble deciding due to the various camera reviews.

I am specifically interested in how each camera handles moving objects like kids or pets running as this is what I take most pics of.

Please post any samples here. Thanks kindly.

Edit - please don't post any YouTube links. I have watched every video comparing the two. Real world results are much better for everyone here.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

30Seconds

Jul 25, 2012
I am interested in both these phones and am having trouble deciding due to the various camera reviews.

I am specifically interested in how each camera handles moving objects like kids or pets running as this is what I take most pics of.

I didn't have the Z2, but I had the Z1 and it was by far the worst camera I had used on any phone. All the pics had a huge amount of noise and tended to look painted. When the Kit Kat update came and there was no improvement I moved on from the Z1. Seeing as the Z1 and Z2 have the same camera I imagine it's the same situation with the Z2.

The G3 camera is at the opposite end of the spectrum and delivers the best still shots I have seen on a phone, certainly comparable to a dedicated camera. Absolutely no regrets moving on from the Z1 or M8 to this phone.

mit3283

Jun 20, 2014
z2 camera

I have to say I have a z2 and it is by far the BEST camera I have ever used in a smart phone. -MOD EDIT- and no swearing please.It has been rated the best camera on the market over the I phone. And where the person said the pictures looked painted it's because the pictures are really that clear. They are so crystal clear that they don't look real. I had an s4 which was a 13 mp camera which was very good but this z2 in auto mode which is only 8mp and it takes beautiful pictures. And yes the comparison where it won was compared in 8mp mode so the playing field was even. You can shoot in 15.5 and 20.7 mp modes and it shoots amazing motion pictures. I take lots of pictures of my dogs playing and running and jumping and there is no noise and blows away the htc one m8 and the galaxy s5.I don't think the g3 could possibly take better pictures. I haven't used one because it's not available but trust me sony makes absolutely amazing phone cameras. They probably made the ones on the g3 and s5.but the z2s is a higher megapixel. And it's on a Sony product.

Last edited by a moderator:

30Seconds

Jul 25, 2012
The person who said it is the worst camera ever is an idiot. They are so crystal clear that they don't look real.

Actually I said the Z1 was the worst phone camera I had used as it had a lot of artifacting and noise. I can imagine there might have been some improvement with the Z2. Heck I was taking better pictures with the M8 than with my Z1.

This is not my opinion alone, take a look at some of the earlier posts in the Z1 picture thread.

In any event the G3 has a really good camera that I enjoy. YMMV.

Reactions: DR_ASHK

simollie

Oct 19, 2008
San Jose
I'm in the same boat. I'm choosing between the G3 and Z2, and camera is the most important thing for me since I take a lot of pics of my 3 kids, so particularly picture of moving object.

I did a lot of reading on G3 vs. Z2 and their camera. This one seems to have the most details:
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/C...one-5s-LG-G2-Sony-Xperia-Z2-HTC-One-M8_id3728

In this review G3 did very well, best in 2 of the 3 main categories (detail and indoor), and best in 3 of the 4 minor categories (Panorama, HDR, and night). However it didn't talk much about picture of moving objects. I'd appreciate input on specifically this.

Reactions: ipmanwck

ipmanwck

I have to say I have a z2 and it is by far the BEST camera I have ever used in a smart phone. -MOD EDIT- and no swearing please.It has been rated the best camera on the market over the I phone. And where the person said the pictures looked painted it's because the pictures are really that clear. They are so crystal clear that they don't look real. I had an s4 which was a 13 mp camera which was very good but this z2 in auto mode which is only 8mp and it takes beautiful pictures. And yes the comparison where it won was compared in 8mp mode so the playing field was even. You can shoot in 15.5 and 20.7 mp modes and it shoots amazing motion pictures. I take lots of pictures of my dogs playing and running and jumping and there is no noise and blows away the htc one m8 and the galaxy s5.I don't think the g3 could possibly take better pictures. I haven't used one because it's not available but trust me sony makes absolutely amazing phone cameras. They probably made the ones on the g3 and s5.but the z2s is a higher megapixel. And it's on a Sony product.

This is the kind of feedback we are after in here. Thanks so much for the info. Could you please post some pics here of your moving pets in 8mp superior mode that would be really helpful. Thanks again.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Any smartphone is going to struggle when taking shots of moving objects. That's simply due to the size of the sensor and how fast the lens operates.
A good test is to get someone to stand still in front of the lens and take a shot whilst they are waving back at you.
A decent digital camera with a good fast lens will keep both the person and their waving hand clear and sharp.
A blur free shot will require a fast shutter, something a smartphone struggles to achieve in anything other than bright and clear lighting.

ipmanwck

Any smartphone is going to struggle when taking shots of moving objects. That's simply due to the size of the sensor and how fast the lens operates.
A good test is to get someone to stand still in front of the lens and take a shot whilst they are waving back at you.
A decent digital camera with a good fast lens will keep both the person and their waving hand clear and sharp.
A blur free shot will require a fast shutter, something a smartphone struggles to achieve in anything other than bright and clear lighting.

Thanks for the info but as the title states I just want real world comparisons. Some mobiles capture .motion much better than others and due to the bigger sensor was hoping z2 would do well but jury is still out until further pics are posted.

Reactions: Beards

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Thanks for the info but as the title states I just want real world comparisons. Some mobiles capture .motion much better than others and due to the bigger sensor was hoping z2 would do well but jury is still out until further pics are posted.

No problem.
To part answer your request, the Sony Z2 has a slightly larger sensor at 1/2.3" over the LG G3 1/3".
So, based on sensor size alone the Z2 wins this.
However, sensor size alone won't guarantee a better shot and this is where LG needs to up its stakes.

Will it do it..... Well I currently have a Z2 which is miles better than the Z1 I previously had.
Unfortunately, even with it's larger sensor it fails to capture a steady and clear blur free shot. A moving hand is just a blur.

Sorry I do not have any shots at hand to show this. For shots of say my grandchildren running around as if they are all driving formula one cars I always go straight to one of my fast digital cameras. Not even a dedicated small compact digital camera will take a blur free shot.

I'll be getting a UK LG G3 in the next couple of weeks and it will be a great phone.
I'll use it for many tasks including photos but I won't expect it to capture any blur free shots.

But to sum up your question...... Of the two my money would go to the G3. It may not be able to achieve what you are asking but what with OIS hardware and that Laser focus they will help photos to be much clearer where lighting is not ideal.

radeonxt

Jan 1, 2008
for me, with moving objects most of the times i don't go the picture route. i go to camera, scroll down that button on upper right to switch to video mode.

ipmanwck

The only phone that can take less blurry pics is m7 and m8, that was the point. Shutter speed is a bit higher. I have tried all the ones in my signature at the same target, my kids ☺

Sent from a mobile Gadget...

I had 3 x M7s all had the purple tint issue due to poor heat shielding and the camera was rubbish. HTC thought it would be a good idea to use the same camera in the m8 !! It still blurred in indoor motion shots and really the camera is not good from experience. Thanks for the opinion though but lets stick to the mentioned handsets.

dondavis007

Aug 10, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I had 3 x M7s all had the purple tint issue due to poor heat shielding and the camera was rubbish. HTC thought it would be a good idea to use the same camera in the m8 !! It still blurred in indoor motion shots and really the camera is not good from experience. Thanks for the opinion though but lets stick to the mentioned handsets.

You're holding it wrong [emoji1]. The word a bit doesn't make it a dslr. Out of my sig those is the best for motion blur, nothing else.

You went back to the HOX?

Last edited:

ipmanwck

You're holding it wrong [emoji1]. The word a bit doesn't make it a dslr. Out of my sig those is the best for motion blur, nothing else.

You went back to the HOX?

This is a temporary phone. Got it off eBay for 100. One x +. Had the s4 for a while after the m7 fiasco ! Not getting into the HTC camera issues here as this is not the forum for it but if your happy with your HTC phone camera then that's good but why are you here then ? If you have a z2 please post pics.

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
I'm sorry but the Xperia Z2 appears to be far superior to the G3 in everything but focus time or when the LED is used.

Since 4.4.2 and the latest camera app, the Sony is finally taking the photos it was always meant to. Even auto mode is now good, which is saying something.

But there's obviously more to the G3 than just the camera.

jms.flynn

Jul 10, 2008
I have never used a z2 but z1 compact was absolutely awful. Even with the lack of mega pixels i am very impressed with the g3 camera i am going to do a lumia 1020 vs g3 thread tomorrow. I think you will be suprised how good the g3 camera is.

Reactions: dondavis007

Kingofpower

Jan 27, 2013

does it still overheat? i had the z2 and that was the only thing that i didnt like about it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I didn't have the Z2, but I had the Z1 and it was by far the worst camera I had used on any phone. All the pics had a huge amount of noise and tended to look painted. When the Kit Kat update came and there was no improvement I moved on from the Z1. Seeing as the Z1 and Z2 have the same camera I imagine it's the same situation with the Z2.

The G3 camera is at the opposite end of the spectrum and delivers the best still shots I have seen on a phone, certainly comparable to a dedicated camera. Absolutely no regrets moving on from the Z1 or M8 to this phone.
    z2 camera

Here's my first batch of photos and some 4K video of the LG G3 vs other flagships (Z2, GS5 and for some - the One M8).

http://jmcomms.com/2014/06/25/lg-g3...sung-galaxy-s5-sony-xperia-z2-and-htc-one-m8/

I intend to do more tests, with moving objects, low-light, in the dark (with flash) and so on. All the photos can be downloaded for closer scrutiny.
    I think you will like the auto mode on the G3. Especially using touch to focus which is what I found gave the better results. Where the G3 is able to use the laser to help focus I thought the shots were excellent. Even in unnatural light , or semi low light.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Nice display of the photos. Out of interest did you use the night mode on the S5 (picture stab) with a tripod. I found good results in terms of definition.

The biggest handicap here though is 'Me'!
    I've been shooting photos for well over 50 years now and if there is one area I do not like on any camera or phone, well that would be Auto mode.
    And before someone pipes back "it's only a Smartphone and not a dedicated digital camera", I'll say ~ You don't need an expensive digital camera to take a good shot (although obviously it's sensor and lens does help). No, what makes a good shot is the person behind the camera and their 'creativity'. You can only be truly creative when you take the camera out of Auto and apply your own Manual settings. Basically you are making the camera do something it does not want to do but at the expense of creating something different and special, even with a Smartphone.