Voice Recognition Hell - What I've found

Search This thread

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
I've been troubleshooting voice recognition issues for a while now dating back to the GS3 before I got the GN2. So this will not be phone specific.

This applies to an unrooted and locked GN2. In other words, full stock. I am running Go Launcher but that should not matter.

Statement of Problem ("Problem"): Google Now voice search, and Google voice recognition from keyboard microphone buttons, will often not connect to Google over 3G/4G with valid data connection, with the screen showing "Initializing" (when on Google Now) for 20 seconds and then "Can't connect to Google" message, or a frozen/suspended microphone icon when attempting voice recognition via keyboard. Note: The Problem does NOT happen when on WiFi.

Analysis: Google Now and Google voice recognition services work fine on wifi. When driving, signal shows 3G or 4G with 2 or more signal bars, however, Problem symptoms appear.I confirm 3G/4G data because web browsers work and Google Play store works.

During troubleshooting, I learned that Google Now and Google voice recognition services require an active internect connection - however I have confirmed I do have an active internet connection via 3G/4G because Google Play works. The stock voice recognition via stock keyboard does NOT require active internet connection. I have confirmed that the mic button on the stock keyboard always works over 3G/4G. I have confirmed the mic on Swift Key keyboard, when Google voice services is selected as input mode, does not work on 3G/4G but does on wifi. But this cant be a Swift Key issue because whenever the mic does not work, Google Now voice recognition does not work.

What I have ruled out: It always works on wifi. Almost always does not work on 3G/4G despite confirmed signal. I turned OFF wifi just in case the code has a bug thinking there should be a wifi signal which is not present. I tried turning OFF Google Now and still have same problems with Google search and Google voice recignition.

What I think i found: I uninstalled the Play Store Update for Google Search to return Google Search to stock version of Google Search App. As soon as I do that, Google Now and Google voice recognition services work again over 3G/4G.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, can you try and uninstall the Google Search update and go back to the Google Search stock app to see if it works? You can always reinstall the update to compare.

I am out of ideas. I want my Google Now and Google voice recog over 3G/4G in addition to wifi.

Adam

P.S. One last note..... I searched high and low on the internet and cannot find folks with this problem. So that tells me maybe it is a setting on my phone? But I am good at this... I cant figure it out. If my un-installationof the Google Search Update fixes this... I may have found an unreported bug! I am testing this solution now over next 48 hours.

Last edited:

hamsterskate

Mar 5, 2012
I had the same problem couple times when not on wifi at home. Not big deal for me but will keep it in mind in case it go worst. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mebobio

Nov 7, 2007
voice

I notice the problem after I got the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon, and updated Google search. The Voice to text stopped working. That first update I believe was on December fifth 2012, and then the update of Google search today, December 13th 2012.
First update: 12/5/2012,
Second update: 12/13/2012.5pm EST
App update of Google Search
The app update downloaded just fine, no issues with the updated download at all.
No error messages at all.
When I install the update, the microphone on voice to text just times out. I can go to Google Now and when I hit the mic there it will time out a few times, but eventually it will light up and work that 1 time. Then have to hit it a few more times to get it again. But with text messaging, won't work at all. If I have already clicked on the mic button, and I get a notification of a new email, which goes to my bluetooth, it will light up and work that one time. Also just noticed that after the update, if I go to settings: bluetooth, and un click media audio, the update mic will then work. I have tried a few different bluetooth earpieces, blueant Q2, jawbone era, Motorola elite flip, and Motorola Silver, all with the same outcome.After update of Google Search, voice mic will not work unless media audio is un-checked, but then I lose navigation and all other messages to the bluetooth.

I've been troubleshooting voice recognition issues for a while now dating back to the GS3 before I got the GN2. So this will not be phone specific.

This applies to an unrooted and locked GN2. In other words, full stock. I am running Go Launcher but that should not matter.

Statement of Problem ("Problem"): Google Now voice search, and Google voice recognition from keyboard microphone buttons, will often not connect to Google over 3G/4G with valid data connection, with the screen showing "Initializing" (when on Google Now) for 20 seconds and then "Can't connect to Google" message, or a frozen/suspended microphone icon when attempting voice recognition via keyboard. Note: The Problem does NOT happen when on WiFi.

Analysis: Google Now and Google voice recognition services work fine on wifi. When driving, signal shows 3G or 4G with 2 or more signal bars, however, Problem symptoms appear.I confirm 3G/4G data because web browsers work and Google Play store works.

During troubleshooting, I learned that Google Now and Google voice recognition services require an active internect connection - however I have confirmed I do have an active internet connection via 3G/4G because Google Play works. The stock voice recognition via stock keyboard does NOT require active internet connection. I have confirmed that the mic button on the stock keyboard always works over 3G/4G. I have confirmed the mic on Swift Key keyboard, when Google voice services is selected as input mode, does not work on 3G/4G but does on wifi. But this cant be a Swift Key issue because whenever the mic does not work, Google Now voice recognition does not work.

What I have ruled out: It always works on wifi. Almost always does not work on 3G/4G despite confirmed signal. I turned OFF wifi just in case the code has a bug thinking there should be a wifi signal which is not present. I tried turning OFF Google Now and still have same problems with Google search and Google voice recignition.

What I think i found: I uninstalled the Play Store Update for Google Search to return Google Search to stock version of Google Search App. As soon as I do that, Google Now and Google voice recognition services work again over 3G/4G.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, can you try and uninstall the Google Search update and go back to the Google Search stock app to see if it works? You can always reinstall the update to compare.

I am out of ideas. I want my Google Now and Google voice recog over 3G/4G in addition to wifi.

Adam

P.S. One last note..... I searched high and low on the internet and cannot find folks with this problem. So that tells me maybe it is a setting on my phone? But I am good at this... I cant figure it out. If my un-installationof the Google Search Update fixes this... I may have found an unreported bug! I am testing this solution now over next 48 hours.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

This solved another problem that was driving me nuts. Over Wi-Fi or 3/4G unlocking via personalized voice commands in S Voice (other than "Hi Galaxy") weren't working at least 75% of the time in totally quiet rooms. Uninstalling the Search update reversed the percenteges. Also getting S Voice to properly record the personalized voice commands was a hit or miss mess. That's not an issue now either. Google's got some work to do.

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
So far after 24 hours the Problem I identified in the first post is solved provided the Google Search update is NOT installed.

fluidj

Sep 25, 2006

This might not even be device specific. I believe this is the same issue I observed on my wife's Galaxy Nexus this weekend. She just got the phone a couple of weeks before me, but doesn't really explore all the features. I was trying to demonstrate how cool Google Now and Voice was.....needless to say, the performance issues as you've noted here pretty much soured her to the idea of even bothering to use Voice search and google now.

I'll see if she has the update and try uninstalling it.
I haven't had any issues with it on my Note 2 however.

Its TwiX

Mar 31, 2011
Confirmed on my phone that this happens. But I also found out that if I click the mic before waiting for everything to load in Google Now, the issue doesn't occur. Very odd...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
I can confirm that the after one week of testing, the Problem disappears if the Google Search update is removed. Once I add the update back, the Problem begins again.

There is very little on the internet about this from my searching. It seems others on this thread can confirm the issue. Do you other guys not notice this happening or do you not use Google Now while on 3G/4G and no WIFI. If it's working for you (the majority of the time), do you have the Google Search update installed or is your phone factory stock and you never updated Google Search from the Play Store?

By the way I am not rooted or unlocked.

How do I tell Google about this? I mean someplace real where they'll respond if they know about it or log it for an app update? (yeah right).

wny1mxo2003

May 15, 2007
Uninstalling Google Search did not solve the problem for me!

I can confirm that the after one week of testing, the Problem disappears if the Google Search update is removed. Once I add the update back, the Problem begins again.

There is very little on the internet about this from my searching. It seems others on this thread can confirm the issue. Do you other guys not notice this happening or do you not use Google Now while on 3G/4G and no WIFI. If it's working for you (the majority of the time), do you have the Google Search update installed or is your phone factory stock and you never updated Google Search from the Play Store?

By the way I am not rooted or unlocked.

How do I tell Google about this? I mean someplace real where they'll respond if they know about it or log it for an app update? (yeah right).

I have been searching the net to solve this problem and came across your post. This solution did not work on my Note 2. Very frustrating as the ability to speak a text is very convenient and necessary for me. I press the button and can not get the red to appear. When on WiFi it works. Please help with this because not a lot of folks are having the issue as nothing online....this may be the only thing. REALLY NEED THIS FEATURE! HELP!!!!!

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
Confirming.

Worked when I first loaded a custom rom...then after a week or so, Google search would just initialize. Based on this thread, I went into application manager and saw "Uninstall Update" which I did....now I'm gold again...

THANKS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Adam

Thanks! I'll post the issue to Google using that link.

Im root but I have not experience any problem. You can post your finding here http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list