Folders for Windows Phone [UPDATE 4/30/12]

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Hey all!

New release! Time to clean up the thread a little~

The new release comes as a one-size-fits-all: rooted devices will receive the privileged features, otherwise simple Marketplace searching will be used. Here's the features list:

• Pin Folders onto your start screen
  • Full customization on what goes into what folder
  • One App Suits All: Install the XAP, which will automatically detect if the device has root privileges, and select the appropriate method for adding applications.
  • Non-rooted: Add from System or Marketplace, including OEM Marketplaces
  • Rooted: Pin folders to your start menu (experimental)
  • Adds one of the most requested features to Windows Phone devices
The region can be changed when searching the Marketplace, too.

You can download it at the bottom of this page: http://windowsphonehacker.com/folders

Let me know of any bugs or feature requests. Thanks!

Last edited:

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
Thanks Jaxbot!
I'm on UK marketplace, seems to be working for "add system"

I added one folder "My Games" with just "Games" in it and pinned it. It worked.
I went back to the app, tried to edit the folder (doesn't always respond) and when I pressed "Add system" and cancelled it, the white frame still remained on top (should've been deleted). Pressing back, I got a toast notification with:

Well this is awkward
I didn't get any arguments...
[ok]

I'll try to make a video.

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Here's a photo of the above issue (this should be the original screen):
screencapture2r.jpg

pressing back several times eventually exits.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Read post #1. Atm Marketplace is only supported en-us...

So this is expected? Thanks btw! :) I'll wait for confirmation from Jaxbot.
Looking forward for updates :cool:

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Here's a photo of the above issue (this should be the original screen):
screencapture2r.jpg

pressing back several times eventually exits.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

So this is expected? Thanks btw! :) I'll wait for confirmation from Jaxbot.
Looking forward for updates :cool:

Confirmed, I'm adding the other markets soon.
Same goes with Nokia, I'll see about adding OEM markets, too.
Also, the popup is a dialog and doesn't behave like you would expect. I'm trying to smooth that out, but that's why that problem is happening. Thanks for the report.
(Also, there should be a little X on the box..try that)

Reactions: mirolg

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Here is a small guide how to add apps, which you actually can´t find with the marketplace search function of the folder app, to an existing folder:

1. Download Windows Phone Power Tools from here: http://wptools.codeplex.com
2. Install and run it on your desktop
3. Go to "file browser"
4. Search for the guid of the folder app (a2e30887-7682-43cf-9a71-c20104b190fa)

Note: if you have installed the folder app with Windows Phone Power Tools you will find "Folders" instead of the guid

5. tap on the guid or on "Folders"
6. you will see a file type xxxx.folder (xxxx is the name of your before created folder)
7. Press "Get" button and save the file to your desktop or just use drag´n drop function
8. Open this file with the text editor and add the name, the guid and the iconname of the app you can´t find in the marketplace (just check the existing apps and you will see how to do that)
9. save the modified file
10. copy the xxxx.folder file together with the appicon (important: .jpg format) back to the device ("Put" button or just drag´n drop)
11. run Folders on you device and you will find the manually added app in your folder
12. pin the folder

Attached is an example of a self-created "Nokia" folder including the appicons, just copy, as descibed above, all files with Windows Phone Power Tools to the Isolated Storage of the folders app and voila you will see an Nokia folder...

Cheers

contable

Attachments

• NokiaFolder.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 139
  • WP-14-01-2012-06-44-19.jpg
    WP-14-01-2012-06-44-19.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 379

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Here is a small guide how to add apps, which you actually can´t find with the marketplace search function of the folder app, to an existing folder:

3. Go to "file browser"

Note: if you have installed the folder app with Windows Phone Power Tools you will find "Folders" instead of the guid

6. you will see a file type xxxx.folder (xxxx is the name of your before created folder)
7. Press "Get" button and save the file to your desktop or just use drag´n drop function
8. Open this file with the text editor and add the name, the guid and the iconname of the app you can´t find in the marketplace (just check the existing apps and you will see how to do that)
10. copy the xxxx.folder file together with the appicon (important: .jpg format) back to the device ("Put" button or just drag´n drop)
11. run Folders on you device and you will find the manually added app in your folder
12. pin the folder

Attached is an example of a self-created "Nokia" folder including the appicons, just copy, as descibed above, all files with Windows Phone Power Tools to the Isolated Storage of the folders app and voila you will see an Nokia folder...

Cheers

contable

Glad people figured that out ;) Thanks for the guide!

Reactions: mirolg

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Glad people figured that out ;) Thanks for the guide!

Thank you for the great app !

Is it possible to use .png files instead of .jpg ?

Copy .png files to the Applications\Install\....\Install\apps folder of your app doesn´t work if I create a folder manually...

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Should be..might need to name them .jpg though, not sure. The images should be loaded as PNGs, though.

Anyway this isn´t so important atm because I have saved the images as .jpg.

I would like to upload a manually created folder with the most recent homebrew apps. Is this ok for you ?

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Of course ;) appreciate it very much, actually.

Ok, will do it. Give me some ideas.

I have installed the following apps:

1. WP7 Root Tools
2. DiagProvXML
3. Screen Capturer
4. Restart Phone
5. Supreme Shortcuts
6. WP Screenshot
7. Tile World Clock
8. Battery Status

Do I miss any useful app ?

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Ok, will do it. Give me some ideas.

I have installed the following apps:

1. WP7 Root Tools
2. DiagProvXML
3. Screen Capturer
4. Restart Phone
5. Supreme Shortcuts
6. WP Screenshot
7. Tile World Clock
8. Battery Status

Do I miss any useful app ?

Good bunch, already have those. Few more suggestions:
Screen Capturer
Voice Memos Lite
Youtube Pro
Flashlight XT

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Good bunch, already have those. Few more suggestions:
Screen Capturer
Voice Memos Lite
Youtube Pro
Flashlight XT

I´m talking about a predifined homebrew apps folder.

Voice Memos Lite
Youtube Pro
Flashlight X

are Marketplace apps which you allready can find with the folder app...

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Ok, here is a predefined Homebrew folder. Copy all files as described earlier to the Isolated Store of the folder app...

Enjoy !

contable

@Jaxbot:

The .png files are working if I rename them to .jpg. Thx for the hint.

Attachments

• WP-14-01-2012-09-26-04.jpg
    WP-14-01-2012-09-26-04.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 136
  • WP-14-01-2012-09-26-52.jpg
    WP-14-01-2012-09-26-52.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 72
  • HomebrewFolder.zip
    32.7 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: mirolg and HC_72

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks Jaxbot!!!
Folders is simply awesome, far much better as we can set it up from our devices!!!

Thanks to contable too for the opening to others marketplace!!

I´m sure Jaxbot will update the app soon, so all regions and OEM´s will be supported.

In the meantime you can use the before posted method to complete your self-created folders as well as backup the created folder files. The backup possibility is important because sometimes the app crashes and all added apps disappear...

Reactions: mirolg and NebZoNe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all!

New release! Time to clean up the thread a little~

The new release comes as a one-size-fits-all: rooted devices will receive the privileged features, otherwise simple Marketplace searching will be used. Here's the features list:

• Pin Folders onto your start screen
    • Full customization on what goes into what folder
    • One App Suits All: Install the XAP, which will automatically detect if the device has root privileges, and select the appropriate method for adding applications.
    • Non-rooted: Add from System or Marketplace, including OEM Marketplaces
    • Rooted: Pin folders to your start menu (experimental)
    • Adds one of the most requested features to Windows Phone devices
    The region can be changed when searching the Marketplace, too.

You can download it at the bottom of this page: http://windowsphonehacker.com/folders

Let me know of any bugs or feature requests. Thanks!

3. Go to "file browser"

12. pin the folder

Cheers

contable
    Any close future updates planned? Just asking... :)

Yep, new version today (I was away when you posted that, had you waited an hour :p )

Regional support, website support, some bug fixes.
    Let me know what you guys think.

Download at the same place as in the first post.
    Thanks Jaxbot!!!
    Folders is simply awesome, far much better as we can set it up from our devices!!!

Thanks to contable too for the opening to others marketplace!!

I´m sure Jaxbot will update the app soon, so all regions and OEM´s will be supported.

In the meantime you can use the before posted method to complete your self-created folders as well as backup the created folder files. The backup possibility is important because sometimes the app crashes and all added apps disappear...
    Alright folks, finished my rewrite. Still some issues to work out, and some new issues, but it should clear up some problems people were complaining about.

See here:
    http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/release_the_new_folders_application-04-30-12