Droid Incredible 4G LTE FAQs

Search This thread

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
I've noticed a lot of similar questions around these forums, so I decided to collect some in the same place. This is by no means an exhaustive list.

I can haz root/S-OFF?
There are options for unlocking your bootloader by changing your SuperCID, also there are options for obtaining S-OFF.
Thanks to Team Fireballas for the root method, and thanks to unlimited.io for S-OFF.
Now, please, don't talk like that anymore. Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation help us understand the question or point you're trying to get across.

My FriendStream (or another HTC) app is missing
HTC decided to remove the FriendStream widget from view in an attempt to de-bloat Sense. On the stock ROM, you can still access it via the lockscreen and somewhat through the Social Clock.
Lockscreen: Settings -> Personalize -> Lock Screen Style -> Friend Stream
Social Clock: Widgets -> Clock -> Social Clock

On the stock ROM, there are several HTC apps missing from our phone, including the beloved flashlight. However, not all the apps are truly missing, just hidden. If you have root, you can re-enable it in the default.xml file located in the /system/customize/MNS/ folder. Remove the listing for FriendStream or whatever app you want to view in the app drawer from the "application_hide" function. FriendStream might also require the listing under "shortcut_hide" to be removed, as well. If you are rooted, a custom ROM may not have this problem.

Why do I have this annoying Wi-Fi icon?
For whatever reason, HTC or Verizon decided to add an annoying Wi-Fi nag icon in the notification bar telling you that you should turn on Wi-Fi. Why Verizon wouldn't want you to go over your data limit and owe them more money is beyond me. If you have root, there is a pretty simple fix for this, or try a custom ROM.

Can I use 64GB MicroSD cards?:
Our phone lists 32GB as the largest capacity microSD card it is capable of utilizing. However, that is the largest capacity allowed by the SD 2.0 standard, SDHC. SD 3.0 currently allows 64GB SDXC cards to be backwards compatible with SD 2.0 ports. Since every single 64GB card isn't necessarily going to work, it's best to read around and find the specific models which do.

Why do the official specs say our phone has 8GB of internal storage but I have less?:
Due to the controversial naming scheme of hard drives and other forms of data storage, companies actually give you less storage than you anticipated. 'Giga' is an SI decimal prefix meaning 10^9, or 1 billion bytes. Before hard drive capacities were in the gigabytes, hard drives used the IEC binary capacity for megabytes (2^20), albeit with the SI prefix. RAM is still calculated with the IEC value but with the SI prefix. So, when your internal storage is calculated to be 8GB, it's actually 8 x 10^9 rather than 8 x 2^30. Since Microsoft has been around since the other standard was set, Windows still displays storage capacity in the binary fashion and labels it with the decimal format.

On top of that, the Android system takes up a sizable amount of storage space, which is included in our phone's internal storage capacity, so you're only allowed 4.15GiB of data storage, which is 4.457GB. In short, you've got 8 billion bytes, but only 4.457 billion bytes usable, which is 4.15GiB. A similar capacity change will be noticed on your MicroSD card size. For example, I have a 32GB MicroSD card, which is actually 29.7GiB. I have a 2TB hard drive, but I only have 1.818TiB available. That's almost 200GiB "missing" because of the naming scheme.

What's the deal with the SD card naming scheme?:
Android 4.0 introduced a new way that SD cards are handled by the system. Previously, the eMMC internal storage of the phone was in the '/emmc/' folder, and the SD card was '/sdcard/'. Makes perfect sense, right? Way to screw it up, Google. Now, the internal storage is in the '/sdcard/' folder, and the real SD card is '/sdcard2/'. There's nothing you can do about this without serious modding to the system. It was changed because Google considers our phones to be high capacity now, so the need for microSD has passed. Yes, portable storage isn't necessary. If you have root, there's a mod that can switch it for you.

Can I install apps to the SD Card?:
Unfortunately, if you are unrooted and on the stock ROM, as per the SD card naming scheme change mentioned immediately above, apps can no longer be installed to the SD card. Like I mentioned above, if you have root, there's a mod for that. Otherwise, when saved in the 'Internal storage', apps are saved in the normal location of apps, '/data/app/'. When saved in the 'Phone storage', apps are saved in the eMMC internal storage partition '/sdcard/.android_secure/' as a '.asec' file.

Can I use Google Wallet?:
If you are rooted, then there's an experimental method that may let you successfully run Google Wallet.

Is our phone capable of being used globally?:
The latest 2.17.605.2 update enabled global phone on our phone. Go to Settings -> Call, and change Preferred Network to Global.

These have been the most common questions I have seen, and I'll be updating this list with more pertinent information when it arises. There are plenty of other questions that have been answered, even more which haven't. Look around for questions, and if there isn't an answer, don't be afraid to ask.

Last edited:

Platypus222

Dec 20, 2010
Is there a patch available for that Wifi thing? I don't have much of a problem doing it manually through the APK, but if there's a faster way...

Platypus222

Dec 20, 2010
Is there a patch available for that Wifi thing? I don't have much of a problem doing it manually through the APK, but if there's a faster way...

Hey self, nevermind. If anyone else wants to just copy over the APK that you need to modify, just do what I said here -- http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30679535&postcount=40. You will need root, though, and I understand a lot of people don't. All it is is removing a few images that for some reason stops the notifications as well.

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
Hey self, nevermind. If anyone else wants to just copy over the APK that you need to modify, just do what I said here -- http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30679535&postcount=40. You will need root, though, and I understand a lot of people don't. All it is is removing a few images that for some reason stops the notifications as well.

lol. I appreciate you making it readily available for us, but most of us don't have root. :( Here's to hoping our spamming Verizon works quickly! :)

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
I added to and updated a few things on the list. Hopefully people will read it before asking the same things over and over.

mdmower

Sep 14, 2011
IceDragon59, you've done a nice job with the FAQ, I wonder if you might also consider taking on the task of making an index post for ROMs, recoveries, unlock methods, scripts, themes, etc?

Oh, and it looks like you can remove the please sticky notice from the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: meskibob

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
IceDragon59, you've done a nice job with the FAQ, I wonder if you might also consider taking on the task of making an index post for ROMs, recoveries, unlock methods, scripts, themes, etc?

That's not a bad idea. I'll make it my weekend project. And thanks for pointing out the fact that this thread finally got stickied after 5 months.

samstein66

Jul 17, 2012
FYI, the direct link in the OP to the post with the .apk for killing the wifi nag is outdated. It takes you to post #40 in that thread, but that .apk may actually botch things up for folks running the latest stock Sense. There is a post a few posts later with an updated .apk to match the more recent Sense.

Reactions: biodiesel.ufo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've noticed a lot of similar questions around these forums, so I decided to collect some in the same place. This is by no means an exhaustive list.

I can haz root/S-OFF?
    There are options for unlocking your bootloader by changing your SuperCID, also there are options for obtaining S-OFF.
    Thanks to Team Fireballas for the root method, and thanks to unlimited.io for S-OFF.
    Now, please, don't talk like that anymore. Proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation help us understand the question or point you're trying to get across.

My FriendStream (or another HTC) app is missing
    HTC decided to remove the FriendStream widget from view in an attempt to de-bloat Sense. On the stock ROM, you can still access it via the lockscreen and somewhat through the Social Clock.
    Lockscreen: Settings -> Personalize -> Lock Screen Style -> Friend Stream
    Social Clock: Widgets -> Clock -> Social Clock

On the stock ROM, there are several HTC apps missing from our phone, including the beloved flashlight. However, not all the apps are truly missing, just hidden. If you have root, you can re-enable it in the default.xml file located in the /system/customize/MNS/ folder. Remove the listing for FriendStream or whatever app you want to view in the app drawer from the "application_hide" function. FriendStream might also require the listing under "shortcut_hide" to be removed, as well. If you are rooted, a custom ROM may not have this problem.

Why do I have this annoying Wi-Fi icon?
    For whatever reason, HTC or Verizon decided to add an annoying Wi-Fi nag icon in the notification bar telling you that you should turn on Wi-Fi. Why Verizon wouldn't want you to go over your data limit and owe them more money is beyond me. If you have root, there is a pretty simple fix for this, or try a custom ROM.

Can I use 64GB MicroSD cards?:
    Our phone lists 32GB as the largest capacity microSD card it is capable of utilizing. However, that is the largest capacity allowed by the SD 2.0 standard, SDHC. SD 3.0 currently allows 64GB SDXC cards to be backwards compatible with SD 2.0 ports. Since every single 64GB card isn't necessarily going to work, it's best to read around and find the specific models which do.

Why do the official specs say our phone has 8GB of internal storage but I have less?:
    Due to the controversial naming scheme of hard drives and other forms of data storage, companies actually give you less storage than you anticipated. 'Giga' is an SI decimal prefix meaning 10^9, or 1 billion bytes. Before hard drive capacities were in the gigabytes, hard drives used the IEC binary capacity for megabytes (2^20), albeit with the SI prefix. RAM is still calculated with the IEC value but with the SI prefix. So, when your internal storage is calculated to be 8GB, it's actually 8 x 10^9 rather than 8 x 2^30. Since Microsoft has been around since the other standard was set, Windows still displays storage capacity in the binary fashion and labels it with the decimal format.

On top of that, the Android system takes up a sizable amount of storage space, which is included in our phone's internal storage capacity, so you're only allowed 4.15GiB of data storage, which is 4.457GB. In short, you've got 8 billion bytes, but only 4.457 billion bytes usable, which is 4.15GiB. A similar capacity change will be noticed on your MicroSD card size. For example, I have a 32GB MicroSD card, which is actually 29.7GiB. I have a 2TB hard drive, but I only have 1.818TiB available. That's almost 200GiB "missing" because of the naming scheme.

What's the deal with the SD card naming scheme?:
    Android 4.0 introduced a new way that SD cards are handled by the system. Previously, the eMMC internal storage of the phone was in the '/emmc/' folder, and the SD card was '/sdcard/'. Makes perfect sense, right? Way to screw it up, Google. Now, the internal storage is in the '/sdcard/' folder, and the real SD card is '/sdcard2/'. There's nothing you can do about this without serious modding to the system. It was changed because Google considers our phones to be high capacity now, so the need for microSD has passed. Yes, portable storage isn't necessary. If you have root, there's a mod that can switch it for you.

Can I install apps to the SD Card?:
    Unfortunately, if you are unrooted and on the stock ROM, as per the SD card naming scheme change mentioned immediately above, apps can no longer be installed to the SD card. Like I mentioned above, if you have root, there's a mod for that. Otherwise, when saved in the 'Internal storage', apps are saved in the normal location of apps, '/data/app/'. When saved in the 'Phone storage', apps are saved in the eMMC internal storage partition '/sdcard/.android_secure/' as a '.asec' file.

Can I use Google Wallet?:
    If you are rooted, then there's an experimental method that may let you successfully run Google Wallet.

Is our phone capable of being used globally?:
    The latest 2.17.605.2 update enabled global phone on our phone. Go to Settings -> Call, and change Preferred Network to Global.

These have been the most common questions I have seen, and I'll be updating this list with more pertinent information when it arises. There are plenty of other questions that have been answered, even more which haven't. Look around for questions, and if there isn't an answer, don't be afraid to ask.

That's not a bad idea. I'll make it my weekend project. And thanks for pointing out the fact that this thread finally got stickied after 5 months.
    Bump

Please add the DirtyRacun s-off method.
    I'm sure there's other stuff, too. Lots had happened since we received s-off.

Thanks

Sent from my Fireball using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

FYI, the direct link in the OP to the post with the .apk for killing the wifi nag is outdated. It takes you to post #40 in that thread, but that .apk may actually botch things up for folks running the latest stock Sense. There is a post a few posts later with an updated .apk to match the more recent Sense.