[Q] Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Search This thread

bigjim

Sep 13, 2006
Just wondering if there anything out there that would work? Is there drivers within Jelly bean that would allow me to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

lemmatti

Sep 26, 2012
Could you use a otg cable and a normal usb to ethernet adapter? Don't know if something like this is supported though.

eng.rego

Apr 24, 2012
But why u want something like that while u have wifi and kies air? What thinga u canot do through wifi?

↖(^▽^)↗ Sent from Rego Galaxy Note ↖(^▽^)↗

manjeev

Nov 25, 2011
Yeah,
That would be a welcome feature if possible. Can't get wifi everywhere.
Cheers

Renthal

Apr 29, 2009
My Note 2 will actually light up the USB Ethernet adapter and show a link to the network switch, but there doesn't seem to be any 'Ethernet' connection usage option with the Note 2 as of yet. I was under the impression by default Ethernet functionality was part of ice cream sandwich and jelly bean, but it appears Samsung has removed it.

el56

I was under the impression by default Ethernet functionality was part of ice cream sandwich and jelly bean, but it appears Samsung has removed it.

My experience has been exactly the opposite. Most Android kernels (and almost all stock ones) do not come with drivers that support most Ethernet chipsets, even kernels that support OTG. While these drivers are usually easy to find in Linux source code, very few flashable kernels compile them in (It's not hard if the kernel builder chooses to include them in the build tree).

I have two inexpensive USB Ethernet dongles and have had a very hard time making either work. While waiting, I have resorted to getting a small traveller's portable Ethernet hotspot/router such as the TP-Link WR3020. That works fine and has the benefit of supporting multiple devices off one Ethernet drop without needing a switch.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

But why u want something like that while u have wifi and kies air? What thinga u canot do through wifi?

There are still many hotels and offices that use wired Ethernet and don't have wifi. So if you want to replace a laptop with an N2, sometimes you need to be places where there is an Ethernet drop, but no wifi (and either your SIM card doesn't work where you are, or roaming is horrendously expensive).

If you travel frequently, it can happen often enough that you need either an Ethernet network adaptor, or a small wifi router.

Also: even if not travelling, you can't break into a wired connection quite as easily as a wireless one. Wired is often faster and certainly more secure.

paral

Jan 31, 2011
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Most Android kernels (and almost all stock ones) do not come with drivers that support most Ethernet chipsets, even kernels that support OTG. While these drivers are usually easy to find in Linux source code, very few flashable kernels compile them in (It's not hard if the kernel builder chooses to include them in the build tree).

I need this Ethernet-over-USB functionality. I believe it is called CDC-ECM. When I have built a Linux kernel in the past it was included with option "Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework"

Does anyone know of a kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this?

Aleksey001

Jul 8, 2010
I need this Ethernet-over-USB functionality. I believe it is called CDC-ECM. When I have built a Linux kernel in the past it was included with option "Multi-purpose USB Networking Framework"

Does anyone know of a kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this?

I asked the same question. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2115186&highlight=ethernet
And no one answered. I need this functionality too. It seems nobody can help.
It`s only way to ask ROM builder to add these features to their products, i think.

Aleksey001

Jul 8, 2010
To confirm the above:
Yearsterday I received USB to RJ45 LAN Ethernet HUB internet Adapter (ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RJ45-LAN-Ethernet-HUB-internet-Adapter-for-google-Android-Tablet-pad-Tab-/250894821624)
It does not work with my Note 2 (GT-N7100, Omega v12 - XXDMB2), although it works great with ASUS PadFone2 and with desktop (windows7 64).

lucian75

Oct 16, 2007
I don't understand peoples who make things more complicated that can be...when u can find so many small wifi router even with mobile battery.in a wire LESS world u want to use meters of wires for what?it's a mobile phone not a desktop pc with so many wires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Compfucius

Mar 20, 2013
Antwerp
Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Hi folks ;)

usb to ethernet seems to work on Android for some, I guess hardware and operating system (embedded drivers?) have to match this device

For my Asus Transformer I can use their ethernet adapter by simply plug it in.
On my Samsung Note 2 JB 4.1 nothing happens...

Would rooting help?
Anyone managed to have it work?

I know that wifi is a much easier method but it's good to know it doesn't work on this device :D :laugh:

Sorry for my bad english, I'll try to improve :)

these items works on the Transformer with JB 4.1
Code:
 img716.imageshack.us/img716/7829/dsc0891800.jpg
Oops, no external links for noobs :D

thanks ;)

Reactions: htc.hd

Aleksey001

Jul 8, 2010
I don't understand peoples who make things more complicated that can be...when u can find so many small wifi router even with mobile battery.in a wire LESS world u want to use meters of wires for what?it's a mobile phone not a desktop pc with so many wires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

I don't understand people, who think: if i don't need it, nobody need it.
I bought note to use it on work. Ideally it should be used instead of a laptop.
The problem is that I am not allowed, for safety reasons, to use wireless link.
And actually it interesting to make it work.
But thanks for the tip, in other way it can be useful.

Last edited:

Aleksey001

Jul 8, 2010
Hi folks ;)
usb to ethernet seems to work on Android for some, I guess hardware and operating system (embedded drivers?) have to match this device

Would rooting help?

As discussed above it did not work with N2.
I think Renthal (message #8) and el56 (message #9) are right.
We need kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this feature.
But still nobody has found the ROM or Kernel for GT-N7100, which correctly work with USB Ethernet adapter.
Only root will not help.

Reactions: Compfucius

el56

I have a second device, a Nexus 7, which (unlike my N2) is rooted. The stock kernel in the Nexus 7 does not support Ethernet-over-USB, and many third-party kernels also do not. However, I did find one kernel -- "Bricked" -- that did. Since installing that kernel, that device now works very well over wired using a $2 OTG cable and a $4 USB Ethernet adaptor (both bought on eBay)

(That setup actually worked in a real-world situation - a hotel in Beijing, that has only wired Internet - in which a Wifi Ethernet router didn't work because of post-connection login requirements.)

This experiences confirms the contention that the drivers for Ethernet-over USB are *available* for Android kernels, but that stock kernels (and most auxilliary ones) have chosen not to implement them. The answer for Note 2 users is to convince Samsung (or, more likely, custom kernel builders) to enable Ethernet drivers that already exist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Vatharian

Jan 18, 2008
3-city
LG G8X ThinQ
I remember seeing patches for Honeycomb stock kernels for numerous devices that add alot of drivers. It maybe feasible to compile the kernel modules and insmod them, if we have kernel sources. Do we have them? Hellllllooooo?!
And I'd like to have this functionality. To all people wondering why one would need to use such *cough* ancient *cough* technology as wires:
At my workplace there is no 3G coverage (hell, it struggles to connect to EDGE, falling back to GPRS, voice calls also suck), and we're not allowed to use any kind of WiFi or Bluetooth or any other radio, including wireless mouse/keyboards (corporate industrial network sucks all the channels, anyway), but we're supplied with wired, unfiltered network going straight to internet, just for sake of having internet on our devices (my work consists of cycles 1-2 hours of intense coding, and 1-2 hours of empty waiting for tests), so we won't get bored to death. So.... I want my ethernet dongle working! http://freeware.info.pl/software.html

Last edited:

Diim

Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, I really need that feature too.
I have 2 young daugthers and my wife doesn't want to hear about wifi or 3G at home, cause of health concerns.

And in addition, I work in a company where wireless connections are not allowed for security reasons.

So Ethernet connection through USB adaptateur is almost the only option for me.

But isn't it possible to install drivers on an androids smartphone, as we usually do on PC ?
(Sorry for the newb question)

Last edited:
Reactions: MilanCudic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution found

Any word on this? Anyone testing anything?

DeBoX, your post motivated me enough to take a half an hour to sit down and solve this SGN2 ethernet-thru-USB issue. I use my SGN2 as my desktop PC using Nova Launcher to set up my android desktop icons and Tasker to auto configure the phone to "desktop mode" when docked. I generally use Windows7 on my SGN2 using bVNC into a Proxmox VM and it all works very well.

These are the simple steps I took to achieve a full Ethernet connection to my SGN2 when docked:

1) Connect your Ethernet cable into a Ethernet USB adapter.
    2) Connect the Ethernet USB adapter into one of the USB port in your dock.
    3) Launch terminal and type netcfg.
    4) See if eth0 shows up in the list and it will be DOWN. Thats normal and expected.
    5) Create a script as follows:

#!/system/bin/sh
    echo "Initializing eth0 LAN"
    Sleep 10
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.XXX.XXX netmask 255.255.XXX.XXX
    route add default gw 192.168.XXX.XXX dev eth0
    setprop net.dns1 192.168.XXX.XXX
    echo "eth0 LAN to SGN2 compete"

6) Run the script.
    7) Enjoy the speed of an Ethernet connection. :cool:

Option: I launch this script from Tasker when docked so it happens automatically.

I hope this helps you and everyone else who wants to realize the full capacity of a docked SGN2.

Thanks,

scvjohnny

↖(^▽^)↗ Sent from Rego Galaxy Note ↖(^▽^)↗

I don't want to use WiFi because i don't. Simple as that.
    Have anyone found something to solve this problem?
    Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Galaxy note 2

Hi folks ;)

Would rooting help?

I know that wifi is a much easier method but it's good to know it doesn't work on this device :D :laugh:

Sorry for my bad english, I'll try to improve :)

these items works on the Transformer with JB 4.1
    Code:
     img716.imageshack.us/img716/7829/dsc0891800.jpg
    Oops, no external links for noobs :D

thanks ;)
    Hi folks ;)

Would rooting help?

As discussed above it did not work with N2.
    I think Renthal (message #8) and el56 (message #9) are right.
    We need kernel for Note2 (N7100) that supports this feature.
    But still nobody has found the ROM or Kernel for GT-N7100, which correctly work with USB Ethernet adapter.
    Only root will not help.
    Yeah, I really need that feature too.
    I have 2 young daugthers and my wife doesn't want to hear about wifi or 3G at home, cause of health concerns.

And in addition, I work in a company where wireless connections are not allowed for security reasons.

So Ethernet connection through USB adaptateur is almost the only option for me.

But isn't it possible to install drivers on an androids smartphone, as we usually do on PC ?
    (Sorry for the newb question)