[APP]TypeNote V0.9.8.1 (updated 19. October 2009)

Search This thread

ronnyh

Jul 23, 2008
TypeNote V0.9.8.1 - Updated 19. October 2009

A simple application for taking notes, sorted by category. :)
I made this for my HTC Diamond, but it should resize to fit most screen sizes.

Functions:
- List of categories
- Auto open Category (open your favorite category on startup)
- List of notes
- Cut, Copy and Past text
- Select All text
- Search and replace text
- Insert current date
- Insert current time
- Portable Application (Settings are saved in program folder)
- all notes saved as separate text files in its categories folder.
- portrait and landscape
- Scans TypeNote\Notes\ or user specified location for folders that contain .txt files.
- Export notes (all)
- Custom Save/Read destination
- Files from 'root' will be added in "Main" category".
-- This can be switched on/off in Settings.
- Hide/Show buttons and title while editing notes (gives more screen-space for editing)
- Open files with the 'Open With' function in file manager (only when program is not already started)
- auto show keyboard (on/off)
- Animation can be switched on/off
- Warning "note already exist" can be switched on/off
- Place buttons (save, Cancel, Delete) above the keyboard (no need to close keyboard to see the buttons)
--- Only in portrait for VGA/QVGA++ screens.

- Bugfix, paste-function now scrolls back to cursor position in large files. fixed.
- Bugfix. font size to small cause crash. fixed.

Version 0.9.8.1
  • Auto open category (usefull if you often use one category more often than others)
  • Hide buttons and title while editing.. gives more space for text.
  • Portable application (does not require re-install if folder moved and system re-installed)
  • Open files from file explorer(open with), (only if program is not already started)
  • If custom folder is used, files from root will be added in "Main" category.
  • Animation can be switched on/off
  • Warning "note already exist" can be switched on/off
  • Place buttons (save, Cancel, Delete) above the keyboard (no need to close keyboard to see the buttons)

Screen01.png
Screen02.png

Screen03.png
Screen04-1.png

Screen05.png

========
HISTORY
========

Version 0.9.5
  • Export notes (all)
  • Custom save/read destination
  • Auto show keyboard (on/off)
  • Cut text
  • Select All Text
  • Search and Replace text
  • Hide/Show buttons while editing notes
  • copy/past bug fixed.. cursor no longer moves to top
[

• Version 0.9.2
    • No longer uses .net 3.5.. now runs on .net 2
    • Categories, with management
      • Add new
      • Rename
      • Delete
    • All notes separated by category (for ex. \Notes\ToDo\Shopping.txt)
    • Reads all .txt files from folders in \Notes instead of using a list-file.
    • Lists are sorted alphabetically.
    • Text in note can be temporarily resized to better fit the screen (makes it easier to type in landscape mode)

========
Installation
========

Download and install the cab on your device.

========

========

Download from MegaUpload

Last edited:

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Thank you for a simple, but very nice finger friendly app. I like the color and font size on my VGA (Fuze) screen. And I appreciate the way TypeNotes "asks" before overwriting or deleting a note. I posted this info at Fuze Mobility but figured it would not hurt to add it here also.

I was sort of hoping that the app could open existing txt files (if I loaded them in TypeNote's default directory) but TypeNote can’t see the files. I was able to open a TypeNote txt file using PocketNotepad so….

-Create a new file in TypeNote using the same name as your existing txt file. Add one or two characters to the body just in case and save.
-Cut or copy your existing txt file into the \Program Files\TypeNote\Notes folder and overwrite the file you just created in the above step.
-You can now view and edit your existing txt file.

FYI: I tried adding my existing file and file name to the NoteList.txt file (located inside the TypeNote directory) but that did not work. The above steps work fine.

I keep network settings and other trivia in txt files on my desktop and like to have copies with me. The PocketNotepad and TC interfaces are not that friendly for viewing or editing.

One interesting note. When finger scrolling through a note it is very difficult (I couldn’t do it) to accidently highlight text, unless the SIP is opened. Don’t know how this works (something to do with sensitivity) but it is a very nice feature and would love to see it implemented in other apps. With a stylus I could highlight text with the SIP closed or open.

Also, Sensor Scroll works (you have to setup in SS Settings) and TypeNote works fine loaded to the storage card.

jaaks

Oct 29, 2006
Indiana
just loaded this on an ATT Fuze running EnergyROM 'Genesis' 20090905 and everything seems to work. perfect little note app, simple and easy. thanks!

edit: weird... just entered current time in a note and it's 14 minutes slow. time on home screen is normal

Last edited:

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
just loaded this on an ATT Fuze running EnergyROM 'Genesis' 20090905 and everything seems to work. perfect little note app, simple and easy. thanks!

edit: weird... just entered current time in a note and it's 14 minutes slow. time on home screen is normal

Interesting. I just checked on my Fuze and the time was 20 minutes behind; Fuze Home Screen 5:29 (17:29) and TypeNote 17:09. Not the end of the world, but a bit puzzling.

jaaks

Oct 29, 2006
Indiana
:09 minutes

It looks like regardless of what time it is, the minutes are always :09. The hour is correct (24hr). Like previously stated, no big deal.

ronnyh

Jul 23, 2008
FYI: I tried adding my existing file and file name to the NoteList.txt file (located inside the TypeNote directory) but that did not work. The above steps work fine.

One interesting note. When finger scrolling through a note it is very difficult (I couldn’t do it) to accidently highlight text, unless the SIP is opened. Don’t know how this works (something to do with sensitivity) but it is a very nice feature and would love to see it implemented in other apps. With a stylus I could highlight text with the SIP closed or open.

Also, Sensor Scroll works (you have to setup in SS Settings) and TypeNote works fine loaded to the storage card.

It should open the file if you add it to the notes-folder and notelist.txt. For example if the file is called Network.txt.. copy it to the Notes folder, and add Network (without .txt) to the Notelist.txt file.

Will see what i can do about the scrolling thing..

And TypeNote should work wherever you put it actually :) Its coded in a way that it "sees" where it is. So feel free to move it where you want, just remember to fix the shortcut.

-Ronny-

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
It should open the file if you add it to the notes-folder and notelist.txt. For example if the file is called Network.txt.. copy it to the Notes folder, and add Network (without .txt) to the Notelist.txt file.

Will see what i can do about the scrolling thing..

And TypeNote should work wherever you put it actually :) Its coded in a way that it "sees" where it is. So feel free to move it where you want, just remember to fix the shortcut.

-Ronny-

OK, I just tried copying a file into the folder and notelist.txt and this time it worked. I may have added .txt to the end of the filename (unlikely) the first time or maybe I just typed the filename wrong. Glad to see it works either way.

Should have clarified scrolling. Flick/finger scrolling works beautifully. I was referring to the scroll wheel on my Fuze. Adding TypeNote to SensorScroll (an app to facilitate scrolling) settings allows the scroll wheel to work. Regarding finger scrolling, after some additional testing I guess you can inadvertently select text if you keep your finger in one place for too long. But if you flick quickly or even move your finger slowly but not leave it in one place, text will not be selected which is a very good thing. I assume there is some time delay working there. Finger apps are great but too many of them allow your fingers to wreak havoc by selecting things unintentionally.

Whenever I test an app, I always check if it will run from the storage card. Some apps will load to main memory regardless of your selection and others will refuse to run if loaded to a storage card. Just a little added info.

Thanks,

JIM

May 16, 2008
Good job, simple and finger friendly.. Some nice things that could be added are:

- Auto-import of a directory containing .txt files. This would help in sync'ing the notes with a computer through Mobile Device Center/Activesync.
- Search
- Categories/folders
- A desktop version of the same app.

I currently use Tombo ( http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/ ) which is NOT very finger friendly, but has all these niceties and also support encryption of individual notes. Since it is open source, it might be helpful perusing its source code.

m.schmidler

Apr 6, 2008
www.ppc-insider.de
Hi,

that´s something I´ve been waiting for very long - thanks!

Some suggestions:

- The list of notes isn´t really fingerfriendly yet...maybe you can use graphics here as well ?
- Folders
- Sending the text of a note via SMS or Email
- Backup-functionality
- Online-service / desktop-app...both would mean quite a lot of work but especially a way to get the notes online would be really really awesome!

Anyway, keep it up :)

May 16, 2008
Backup/sync to desktop is easy: Activesync will do it for you.

Tombo (for link see two posts above) will work as the desktop-app (it has both WinMob and Windows versions).

ronnyh

Jul 23, 2008
Hi,

that´s something I´ve been waiting for very long - thanks!

Some suggestions:

- The list of notes isn´t really fingerfriendly yet...maybe you can use graphics here as well ?
- Folders
- Sending the text of a note via SMS or Email
- Backup-functionality
- Online-service / desktop-app...both would mean quite a lot of work but especially a way to get the notes online would be really really awesome!

S :)

Thank you!

What do you mean when saying that the list isn't fingerfriendly? Size of text,scrolling ??

I've been working on some changes, and so far this is what i have done:
  • No longer uses .net 3.5.. now runs on .net 2
  • Categories, with management
    • Add new
    • Rename
    • Delete
  • All notes separated by category (for ex. \Notes\ToDo\Shopping.txt)
  • Reads all .txt files from Notes-folder instead of using a list-file.
  • Lists are sorted alphabetically.
  • Text in note can be temporarily resized to better fit the screen (makes it easier to type in landscape mode)

Still working on it though, so will put it here when its ready.

-Ronny-