Best 16gb or 32gb microSD?

Search This thread

Pheno.menon

Aug 24, 2010
San Jose
Going to start using the Inspire as my main music player (thanks to Ubermusic, which is simply too good to resist).. looking for recommendations on a 16/32gb microSD.

Also, question: how come Sandisk only has class 4 microSD's? I'm all for getting myself one of these as the reviews are great.. but there might be something faster out there that's close in terms of reliability?

Last edited:

biglittlegato

Jun 4, 2009
Cali
I have encountered zero issues with my PNY 32 gb class 10 card. New Egg has them pretty cheap when they are in stock.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using the power of the dark side.

Reactions: llbehrens

SuicideMyk

Aug 2, 2011
Daytona Beach, Florida
I've always bought sandisk over the past couple years for my cameras and they been great, very reliable an fast. Right now I have a 32gb class 6 in my Inspire for the past couple months and it's been great for music and movies :cool:

Pheno.menon

Aug 24, 2010
San Jose
I've always bought sandisk over the past couple years for my cameras and they been great, very reliable an fast. Right now I have a 32gb class 6 in my Inspire for the past couple months and it's been great for music and movies :cool:

Where did you find a 32gb class 6 Sandisk microSD? I think you meant class 2..

I ordered a 16gb Sandisk Class 4 MicroSD from Newegg. It's only $20 after promo code EMCKBJJ33, free shipping.

Last edited:

SuicideMyk

Aug 2, 2011
Daytona Beach, Florida

I ordered a 16gb Sandisk Class 4 MicroSD from Newegg. It's only $20 after promo code EMCKBJJ33, free shipping.

That's a great price I paid 25 off ebay for a 16gb....

yeah thats my mistake it's actually a sandisk 32gb micro sdhc flash memory card writing at 6 mbs and reading at 12.5 mbs around what the min of a class 6 would be doing

SD Tools app(no speed boost)

Last edited:

Jake33108

Jul 1, 2011
Detroit
I gave the SD Tools app a shot after seeing your post and it's a cool app! Here's what I got with my aforementioned PNY class 10 32GB card. $60 from newegg.

Reactions: msfguard

SupaSupra

Oct 26, 2010
I paid 20 for a Patriot Class 4 16GB. Worked great. Was pretty fast and large enough for me. But I like to be the guy with all the overkill stuff. So I'm getting a 32GB next.

dschreiber69

May 23, 2011
Harbor Springs
I just ordered the PNY 32gb class 10. Upgrading from a 16gb class 4 that my wife fried when she took a picture and somehow turned the phone off at the exact same time... Tried everything to get it back to life - but maybe it was divine intervention. :rolleyes:

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
I have a Patriot 16gb class 10 card from Newegg, results have been mixed. Speeds are awesome, but reliability has been an issue. Twice I have had the card become corrupt and had to fix with Chkdsk in Windows, and I have had several individual apps become corrupt and require a reinstall. Not major issues, just minor annoyances for me.

a6c6010d-8ff2-23f1.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

biglittlegato

Jun 4, 2009
Cali
PNY class 10 32gb microSD. No problems at all. Plenty of speed for me.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1313959647801.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313959647801.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 179

wangtang2k

Nov 18, 2008
Ronkonkoma
PNY 32GB microSDHC card

Ditto on the PNY 32gb microSD card. Works flawlessly on my Inspire. Seems a lot speedier than the 16gb one that came with the phone. Be ready to shed 2gb from formatting though, since it will only have a total capacity of 29.9gb on the card before tossing anything in it.
Get it from newegg. It was relatively inexpensive for it being a class 10 card, and shipping was fast.

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
Be ready to shed 2gb from formatting though, since it will only have a total capacity of 29.9gb on the card before tossing anything in it.

Yes, this is the way memory works, you always get less than the advertised capacity. Bits vs bytes.

Also, you may notice different sizes with different allocation sizes...

wangtang2k

Nov 18, 2008
Ronkonkoma
Yes, this is the way memory works, you always get less than the advertised capacity. Bits vs bytes.

Also, you may notice different sizes with different allocation sizes...

You're right about the allocation sizes.
I used 32kilobytes for my allocation size when I formatted the card. Using anything below that caused my previous card to have a somewhat jittery experience on my phone when watching downloaded movies. Then again this new card is a class 10 as opposed to the class 2 16gb microsd card that came included with the phone.
I don't mind losing the 2gb since I have more than adequate space for my music and media on the go for the price paid. =D

macr0t0r

Feb 20, 2011
Based on past reviews in the Inspire/DesireHD threads: Sandisk and PNY are pretty safe. Patriot is hit&miss with quality control. Transcend has been downright problematic (surprising, I use to like that brand). Lower "Class" cards tend to be more reliable, but slower (obviously). It seems to be due that the higher-class cards may have higher power requirements while writing, but I can't find any way to confirm that (rumor, really).

I got a Sandisk Class-4 16GB card for my Inspire. It's been rock-solid. Now that 32GB cards are common, the 16GB cards are dirt cheap these days.

- Jim

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's a great price I paid 25 off ebay for a 16gb....

yeah thats my mistake it's actually a sandisk 32gb micro sdhc flash memory card writing at 6 mbs and reading at 12.5 mbs around what the min of a class 6 would be doing

SD Tools app(no speed boost)

I have encountered zero issues with my PNY 32 gb class 10 card. New Egg has them pretty cheap when they are in stock.

I gave the SD Tools app a shot after seeing your post and it's a cool app! Here's what I got with my aforementioned PNY class 10 32GB card. $60 from newegg.