Seeking class action lawsuit.

Search This thread

Ramzes13

Mar 2, 2012
They remove and limit access to recovery and offer no support to revert back to factory, what would you call that? Why are devs at CM reluctant to offer a version? Why limit our access? How come the is no way to disable auto update? I hope your smart enough to draw the conclusion.

This is getting stale. Look, just because it... you know I think I'm done here, I refuse to provide any more input since it is obvious you cannot be swayed. There are other actual problems that I and others can support and lend an idea to. Good luck in your endeavor, but I feel it will be fruitless and is unjustified.

lorddunlow

Mar 17, 2011
You're going to have a problem with any laws about false advertising if you were a Kickstarter backer. You obviously don't understand how Kickstarter works. You didn't purchase a product - even though that's the assumption most people make. You essentially donated money to fund a product. Your console was an agreed upon reward for whatever amount you pledged. That's why it's called a pledge. It the same thing they do on PBS during their pledge drive. You are donating to the company and in return they offer a little show of thanks. You are entitled to nothing.

If you pledged to Kickstarter thinking you were entering into a traditional retail model, then you didn't read any of Kickstarter disclaimers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

m03m1x

Mar 14, 2010
So which side of the line are you guys on? Why are you in these forums anyway? Why are people bricking their systems, because they believed it was open from day one to such modifications and they could run custom ROMs.

I am happy that ouya came into existence. I am here to mod my console. People are stupid and do not read before starting, they do as they read and do understand one step so they either give up or **** up at that point and cause a brick. Well you can do those things, they were just enabled by other people. If people are dumb with something locked how can you expect people to be intelligent with something open? Majority of people are not willing to understand, but they are willing to learn.... sadly just knowing what to do isnt good enough after knowing how or why then it is time to continue. After you get a few dollars then what? you are happy with your small dollar value and so are a few others who are oblivious to the fact that your trying to take from a company that sold the console cheap to begin with. They will either go out of business for your greediness and need for a few dollars..... don't be so selfish. If you wanted more from a transaction then you have to pay more than $400 if not then stop complaining about your console coming late...... LOL

heres a story you can learn from kiddo. The UPS driver came to my door and he had my console but also a nasty brokerage fee. My brother told them to scram we'll pick it up from the depot (which is at the airport and a pain to get to). This was a on friday and the monday was a holiday so i had to wait 3 extra days to get my console. BIG DEAL. Also I ordered a $500 imwatch and it came 1 year late.... Im just happy it came. I was angry but all CHILDISH anger forgotten when i received my item.

You starting a class action lawsuit = you need $30 for drugs is what it seems like.... pathetic.

Reactions: Ramzes13
R

Rirere

You'd be lucky if this didn't get summarily dismissed in court. And if you somehow miraculously managed to bring this to trial, what exactly do you think would happen? Months or years down the road, let's say you come into court and somehow win. The court orders...what, exactly? For OUYA to build in a better method of accessing recovery? What's the judge going to do (as OUYA has claimed repeatedly that this is the focus of post-launch work)-- put a timeframe down? There's no realistic way that would be enforced.

Moreover, faulty advertising is a pretty difficult sell in the United States, and I don't see a single shred of logic you've offered that isn't going to be burned by the standard advice: caveat emptor. You were sunk the moment you either pledged on Kickstarter (as you take full responsibility for your pledge with the knowledge that the finished product might not live up to expectations, which, by the way, is not going to fly in a faulty advertising case) or accepted OUYA's Terms of Service on first booting up your console.

Bottom line:
  • OUYA promises root. Delivered.
  • OUYA promises an unlocked bootloader. Delivered.
  • OUYA promises recovery access. Delivered.
  • OUYA provides an easily-modified hardware box. Delivered.

They've met the base requirements for an "open" system. You have full access to the device. And as every custom ROM, kernel, or recovery says on the tin, you forfeit your right to complain to the OEM after flashing. That the recovery is obnoxiously difficult to access or that the flashing process is more difficult than say, a Nexus handset is completely and utterly irrelevant. Your claim is that the device can't do any of the bullet points listed above, when it most certainly can.

Considering you also bought the box with preloaded software, you'd also never convince a judge that it was meant to be a development box. It was marketed to play games to end-users with the possibility of customizability by tinkerers.

Like I said, "fails to meet expectations" != "false advertising."

Ramzes13

Mar 2, 2012
Got mine at best buy last Saturday friend. Walked in paid cash, came straight to XDA developers to look for root, su, and flash CWM only to find I had to use some awkward method to access recovery. Now I use Rom Toolbox Pro to enter it. But the risk to flash a custom ROM is real high. They could very easily implement a method of recovery or offer a Windows installer to install basic drivers and flash back a stock ROM in case a brick should happen. No need to be bullish about a recovery on their part. A failsafe is all they need to provide.

I had to come back in for this one. Becaaue it is difficult to access root is the reason for all of this? and because it carries a huge risk? Rooting or Jailbreaking ANY device is risky. I take you haven't read any other forum where oems and cell carriers recently locked their devices so tight that some walked away. Do you think there was supposed to be some sort of instruction manual from Ouya? It is smart for them to have it locked down to a minor degree since they are trying to services as well. you even confirmed that you have rooted the device...

You calling yourself a "hacker" or "modder" is a pure disgrace to what this community was founded upon; the bringing together of curious minds and experience of the many to solve a problem to make the product better or to add a feature that was never intended to exist.

Instead of litigating, you could start a petition on Change.org in order to just ask for the features you think you are "entitled" to have. I have a suspicion though that you will have a low count of signitures...

ki01

Feb 24, 2013
Kaunas
In retrospect, yes, I guess I was. I have given up completely this time.

should be kind of obvious when the guy has 3 sentences in his vocabulary and just keep re-shuffling the words: BLA BLA BLA LAWSUIT, BLA BLA BLA RECOVERY, BLA BLA BLA I'M THE MESSIAH... ;)

personally, i do not own ouya and do not intend to. I just came around to see what was going down with the supposed "king of android gaming"

(+ i think this fine example of humanity has ~4 cases of double posting in this thread. shouldn't that get him in a bit of trouble?)

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnchalfant
I agree the early backers got hosed(or at least a lot of them did). I think every early backers who did not get their Ouya ahead of the retail should get their investment returned. I also think they should all be given the option of returning the early version for the retail version since it seem there were hardware differences.

As for the promise of an open system(where your definition is what you are basing everything on), I think you're deluding yourself to think they care or that you have legal grounds.

DroidXero

Dec 16, 2010
I think you're trying to sink a ship that's only just set sail, all because they wouldn't take you to meet the captain. Seriously, just shut up. Right now. If you're that unhappy, just sell your console. You could still get back what you paid for it so what's the big deal?

People like you are the ones who spoil if for the rest of us - the ones who are willing to accept that nothing is perfect, things don't happen immediately and not everything goes as it was planned or promised. Life lessons my friend, I suggest you climb down off of your soapbox before you hurt yourself, and maybe spend some time in the real world learning those lessons, as opposed to chucking all of your toys a mile from the pram and seeing who else you can get to join you to make you look less of a self-indulgent twat.

OUYA have brought us something a little bit different in this over-saturated and stagnating world of video games, and I for one am prepared to bear with them and trust that, one day, when they figure out the best way to do it and how to make as flawless an experience as possible as opposed to chucking it out there and hoping for the best, they'll make good on their promises.
I'd far rather they took their time and got it right, than give in to crybaby self-important nobodies and rush it out before it's done.

I sincerely hope that you're brought down a peg or two and that you're swiftly laughed out of whatever cloud cuckoo land you're living in.
To the rest of you, I hope you're enjoying your OUYAs as much as I am and are eagerly awaiting what the OUYA devs or the guys here at XDA will come up with next.

R

Rirere

Hit the nail on the head again. OP is frankly just whining because it's not as easy to root or develop for this device as they expected (not that they seem to be doing any development work themselves, of course). Rooting and flashing, sanctioned or not is never without risk, even on a Nexus device (which the OUYA most certainly is not). Clearly they're forgetting how annoying it is to root devices with OEM-locked bootloaders or flash-protection (S-ON).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're going to have a problem with any laws about false advertising if you were a Kickstarter backer. You obviously don't understand how Kickstarter works. You didn't purchase a product - even though that's the assumption most people make. You essentially donated money to fund a product. Your console was an agreed upon reward for whatever amount you pledged. That's why it's called a pledge. It the same thing they do on PBS during their pledge drive. You are donating to the company and in return they offer a little show of thanks. You are entitled to nothing.

If you pledged to Kickstarter thinking you were entering into a traditional retail model, then you didn't read any of Kickstarter disclaimers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Have a good day to all.

hey, moron, this is xda-developers, a place where people who like to tinker with their devices come to chip in to the great android experience in any way they can. it is NOT a forum for litigiously-minded prickshakers to come and gather troops. go pursue your lawsuit with your nimrod friend--i would love for him to lose all credibility for teaming up with a halfwit like you.

hey, i don't know the first thing about android dev--i just like flashing roms and recoveries. knowing this, i keep to myself when development is slow or non-existent for a product. if i REALLY wanted to be productive, i wouldn't ***** about it on forums, i'd learn how to compile a kernel, or write java, or.. whatever. point is, you're a ****ing asshat clown.

good riddance
    OP is just showing exactly why most other countries laugh at American lawsuits. I'm American and truly believe that people are STILL sue happy. It's not as bad as it was a few years ago, but still way too much.

Unhappy with your $99 purchase? Contact Kickstarter, they're the ones you should go through if you have problems. While I'm not 100% sure, i'm pretty sure if a person/company does not deliver on their promise, you can get your money back.

Or waste your time, whatever.

I really don't mean to be mean, but honestly I'm tired of hearing people complain. Get your money back if you're not satisfied. It's only $100!!! The stats are in and the majority of OUYA owners ARE happy, and those that are not mostly have moved on. And if you say "it's not the money", you're only hurting the future of ALL Android Consoles by suing OUYA. Possibly hurting even non-android Indie type businesses that will look at what OUYA went through and just say "forget it, I don't even want to try"
    I think you're trying to sink a ship that's only just set sail, all because they wouldn't take you to meet the captain. Seriously, just shut up. Right now. If you're that unhappy, just sell your console. You could still get back what you paid for it so what's the big deal?

People like you are the ones who spoil if for the rest of us - the ones who are willing to accept that nothing is perfect, things don't happen immediately and not everything goes as it was planned or promised. Life lessons my friend, I suggest you climb down off of your soapbox before you hurt yourself, and maybe spend some time in the real world learning those lessons, as opposed to chucking all of your toys a mile from the pram and seeing who else you can get to join you to make you look less of a self-indulgent twat.

OUYA have brought us something a little bit different in this over-saturated and stagnating world of video games, and I for one am prepared to bear with them and trust that, one day, when they figure out the best way to do it and how to make as flawless an experience as possible as opposed to chucking it out there and hoping for the best, they'll make good on their promises.
    I'd far rather they took their time and got it right, than give in to crybaby self-important nobodies and rush it out before it's done.

I sincerely hope that you're brought down a peg or two and that you're swiftly laughed out of whatever cloud cuckoo land you're living in.
    To the rest of you, I hope you're enjoying your OUYAs as much as I am and are eagerly awaiting what the OUYA devs or the guys here at XDA will come up with next.
    I'll pass on this thanks.... no point in wasting a small teams time with other non-sense.
    I'd rather they were dedicating all of their time to improving their products and services.