[ROM-AOSP] OFFICIAL CM11.0 KFire HD 8.9 (KK 4.4.2) [05/20 AUDIO/CAMERA FIXES]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
OFFICIAL CyanogenMod 11.0 for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

BEFORE YOU BEGIN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A 2ND-BOOTLOADER AND TWRP 2.7.0.0 INSTALLED CORRECTLY AND CAN SEE THE BLUE LOGO DURING BOOTUP:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

NIGHTLY BUILDS SHOULD BEGIN IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS:
Official CM Downloads:
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jem

Download Google Apps for CM11:
[UPDATED: 01/05] http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Unofficial builds can be found in the mirrors below (cm11 folder for those builds):
Mirror 1: Download (Goo.im)
Mirror 2: Download (Crackflasher)

PLEASE BE SURE TO WIPE SYSTEM & DATA/CACHE (FACTORY RESET) BEFORE UPGRADING TO ANDROID 4.4.
(It's the "Wipe" button and then "System" and then "Factory Reset" button in TWRP -- this does NOT clear your sdcard space)

CHANGES:
  • [04/14] Kernel cleanup including bugfix for app-asec related APP crashes
  • [04/14] Partition mount flag cleanup
  • [03/25] Bugfix for streaming video where stream dies every 4-5mins (specifically Google Play Movies)
  • [03/15] Testing 128mb of ZRAM use
  • [03/15] Added KSM and ZRAM to kernel
  • [03/15] MMC discard / trim fix
  • [01/17] Kernel updated to google/common 3.0.72
  • [01/17] "Manufacturer" and "Brand" props changed to: Android / Google for app compatibility
  • [11/25] First CM11.0 build
  • [11/15] SElinux now included in the kernel and set to permissive. I don't recommend turning it to enforcing as I'm still debugging the "deny" messages.
  • [08/12] All new "from source" sensor driver
  • [08/12] Temp. disable light sensor (due to recode of sensor driver)
  • [07/31] First CM10.2 build

FEATURES:
  • 3.0.72 kernel (up from a stock 3.0.21 kernel). This includes updates from Texas Instruments, Google and Kernel.org.
  • PowerVR Graphics Drivers: DDK 1.9@2291151 for Android (Jellybean compatible)
  • Updated bltsville libs to 2.2.2.0 (this is partial screen update code which enables smoother / faster screen draws)
  • Audio
  • Camera
  • Wifi
  • Bluetooth
  • Sensors
  • HWAcceleration
  • HD Codecs for YouTubeHD and Netflix
  • HDMI video out is now correct and work across several resolutions. YMMV

DEVS
BUILDING THIS ROM:

First, read through Google's Android website about "how to setup a build environment":
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

[ COMING SOON ]

IGNORE THE LINE BELOW THIS SAYING THIS ROM IS FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HD 7". IT'S NOT. IT'S FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9".:

XDA:DevDB Information
OFFICIAL CM11.0 KFire HD 8.9 (KK 4.4.2), ROM for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Contributors
Hashcode
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Stable Release Date: 2014-05-20

Created 2013-11-26
Last Updated 2014-05-27

Attachments

• device-2013-11-25-222504.jpg
    device-2013-11-25-222504.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 588
  • device-2013-11-25-222537.jpg
    device-2013-11-25-222537.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 567
  • device-2013-11-25-222548.jpg
    device-2013-11-25-222548.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 568
  • device-2013-11-25-222608.jpg
    device-2013-11-25-222608.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 567
  • device-2013-11-25-222633.png
    device-2013-11-25-222633.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 566

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Reserved

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Bluetooth tether (to say a phone for internet) doesn't seem to be working correctly
  • Accelerometer can stop working occasionally. Needs debugging.
  • Ambient light sensor needs to be re-coded as an IIO driver
  • Headphones / BT audio route testing (plugging / unplugging can cause stuck audio)
  • Fix USB OTG support in the kernel
  • Better HDMI support for more resolutions
  • No Amazon Prime Video support
  • No Dolby audio support
  • "Cast Screen" does not function correctly under Settings -> Display
  • [FIXED-2014-05-20] Audio HAL cleanup and use system/media audio-route sources
  • [FIXED-2014-05-20] More camera tweaks
  • [FIXED-2014-05-13] Hardware Decoder/Encoder support update to KK-based sources
  • [FIXED-2014-05-13] Camera could use a small update for better handling
  • [FIXED-2014-05-02] Audio low latency issues when cover is closed or 2 apps play audio at once (stuttering)
  • [FIXED-2014-04-18] VPN has issues, needs debugging
  • [FIXED-2014-04-18] Some games like Plants Vs. Zombies 2 don't work right, researching
  • [FIXED-2014-04-15] Possible other game issues, but I need more examples of games that don't run

Last edited:

Hekel89

Sep 13, 2010
Milano
so are you gonna abandon the cm10.2 development?
i was trying to flash it a few days ago, but it didn't work...now of course this one would be nice, but it's still in an erly development i suppose^^

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

so are you gonna abandon the cm10.2 development?
i was trying to flash it a few days ago, but it didn't work...now of course this one would be nice, but it's still in an erly development i suppose^^

Reactions: lizzord30

tethien

Feb 19, 2010
Installed on my Jem LTE.

-install completed with no problems.
-Run very smooth.
-Icon drag bug come back

Thank Hashcode.
Waiting for Jem LTE version.

32BitWhore

Aug 31, 2011
I don't know how you do it man, but you've always got something new and awesome every single day for me, whether it's my KFHD or my S4, so thanks for being awesome!

Downloading now.

legmando33

Oct 11, 2012
Cannot get this to install. It just gets stuck at the blue kindle fire logo. ANY ROM I flash ends up this way.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Cannot get this to install. It just gets stuck at the blue kindle fire logo. ANY ROM I flash ends up this way.

Please make sure you're flashing this with the latest TWRP 2.6.3.1 and that you've done the required wipe + advanced -> format system.

mssaleh

May 13, 2011
I am unable to get the new Amazon AppStore to run on this rom. Immediately force-closes. The same problem happened when updated the Amazon appstore on the 11-15 CM10.2 build. There is a similar comment on that thread by another user but without reply.
I tried re-installing, clearing data, and even a full wipe and clean install but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

P.S. No post in this forum should go without thanking Hashcode for his time and efforts. Without him, this tablet isn't good for anyone between 5-60 years old.

Reactions: -blacknight-

DanielAlbert

Jan 18, 2012
Wow thank you so much! I wish there was some way I could help but I only know the basics on programming but I am more than willing to help in any way. I really hope this improves the device with kitkats memory management

lizzord30

Feb 20, 2013
Having lots of problems
First I did a backup (TWRP 2.6.0.1 or something dont remember exactly but older version)
Then I updated TWRP to the newest one
After that I restarted recovery it seams to work fine (other then USB mount which would be very very much appricated if it worked) I wiped System and Seamed to Working like it should
Then I did factory reset and then advanced wipe System
after that I installed the 2 files for CM11 and Gapps
CM11 will look like its starting then go really fast and say success but really do pretty much nothing
the GAPPs will just fail
Now I cant restore the file from the older TWRP since its in a different folder and it fails when i use the file managment to move it to the correct folder..
I cant ADB push a rom file to try an older version of CM ADB sideload also fails Smaller files Like TWRP work but not Roms and this is plenty of open space that is not a problem
Right now I cant install anything but TWRP
Is anyone else having problems?
Thanks!

Reactions: legmando33

narse

Dec 29, 2009
Just wanted to say Thanks Hashcode, really pleased and surprised to get KitKat for my Kindle, especially so early.

I did a clean install (wipe system, data and cache) with the newest TWRP and then enabled Art as the runtime environment and so far everything seems to be working ok. Installed rotate app to take care of the rotation bug and so far not found any other problems.

Thanks again

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

twa_priv

Feb 10, 2011
Here's a test CM11 build which seems to fix the rotation/orientation issues - at least for me far as I can tell.

http://d-h.st/users/loosethisskin/?fld_id=28911#files or http://goo.im/devs/loosethisskin/jem/cm-11.0
@Hashcode ... the relevant commit is here: https://github.com/loosethisskin/an...mmit/f5c558fa4acee3b793be6e1de9949e9624014c55
It's a first version and will need to be modified if it's worth pursuing (e.g. make it property driven). The change should have a result similar what apps like Rotation Control do. I am forcing sensor (landscape) orienation for every landscape or reverse landscape request.

Let me know...

legmando33

Oct 11, 2012
Having lots of problems
First I did a backup (TWRP 2.6.0.1 or something dont remember exactly but older version)
Then I updated TWRP to the newest one
After that I restarted recovery it seams to work fine (other then USB mount which would be very very much appricated if it worked) I wiped System and Seamed to Working like it should
Then I did factory reset and then advanced wipe System
after that I installed the 2 files for CM11 and Gapps
CM11 will look like its starting then go really fast and say success but really do pretty much nothing
the GAPPs will just fail
Now I cant restore the file from the older TWRP since its in a different folder and it fails when i use the file managment to move it to the correct folder..
I cant ADB push a rom file to try an older version of CM ADB sideload also fails Smaller files Like TWRP work but not Roms and this is plenty of open space that is not a problem
Right now I cant install anything but TWRP
Is anyone else having problems?
Thanks!

I'm getting the same thing. Also did the same with updating recovery. Had 2.6.0.0 before updating. Now even with the recommended wipes it won't boot, just stuck on blue kindle fire logo. =(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OFFICIAL CyanogenMod 11.0 for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

BEFORE YOU BEGIN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A 2ND-BOOTLOADER AND TWRP 2.7.0.0 INSTALLED CORRECTLY AND CAN SEE THE BLUE LOGO DURING BOOTUP:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

NIGHTLY BUILDS SHOULD BEGIN IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS:
    Official CM Downloads:
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=jem

Download Google Apps for CM11:
    [UPDATED: 01/05] http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Unofficial builds can be found in the mirrors below (cm11 folder for those builds):
    Mirror 1: Download (Goo.im)
    Mirror 2: Download (Crackflasher)

PLEASE BE SURE TO WIPE SYSTEM & DATA/CACHE (FACTORY RESET) BEFORE UPGRADING TO ANDROID 4.4.
    (It's the "Wipe" button and then "System" and then "Factory Reset" button in TWRP -- this does NOT clear your sdcard space)

CHANGES:
    • [04/14] Kernel cleanup including bugfix for app-asec related APP crashes
    • [04/14] Partition mount flag cleanup
    • [03/25] Bugfix for streaming video where stream dies every 4-5mins (specifically Google Play Movies)
    • [03/15] Testing 128mb of ZRAM use
    • [03/15] Added KSM and ZRAM to kernel
    • [03/15] MMC discard / trim fix
    • [01/17] Kernel updated to google/common 3.0.72
    • [01/17] "Manufacturer" and "Brand" props changed to: Android / Google for app compatibility
    • [11/25] First CM11.0 build
    • [11/15] SElinux now included in the kernel and set to permissive. I don't recommend turning it to enforcing as I'm still debugging the "deny" messages.
    • [08/12] All new "from source" sensor driver
    • [08/12] Temp. disable light sensor (due to recode of sensor driver)
    • [07/31] First CM10.2 build

FEATURES:
    • 3.0.72 kernel (up from a stock 3.0.21 kernel). This includes updates from Texas Instruments, Google and Kernel.org.
    • PowerVR Graphics Drivers: DDK 1.9@2291151 for Android (Jellybean compatible)
    • Updated bltsville libs to 2.2.2.0 (this is partial screen update code which enables smoother / faster screen draws)
    • Audio
    • Camera
    • Wifi
    • Bluetooth
    • Sensors
    • HWAcceleration
    • HD Codecs for YouTubeHD and Netflix
    • HDMI video out is now correct and work across several resolutions. YMMV

DEVS
    BUILDING THIS ROM:

First, read through Google's Android website about "how to setup a build environment":
    http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

[ COMING SOON ]

IGNORE THE LINE BELOW THIS SAYING THIS ROM IS FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HD 7". IT'S NOT. IT'S FOR THE KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9".:

XDA:DevDB Information
    OFFICIAL CM11.0 KFire HD 8.9 (KK 4.4.2), ROM for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Contributors
    Hashcode
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2014-05-20

Created 2013-11-26
    Last Updated 2014-05-27
    New build in the next 24 hours.

Some more bugfixes:

1. I had user report that 2nd touch events were being ignored sometimes. To see this behavior, install a multi-touch testing app. Lay the device down on a flat surface in landscape mode. Hold 1 finger to the left side of the screen, then tap lightly with a 2nd finger on the right side of the screen. Occasionally these touches are ignored until either finger is moved slightly. I put in an initial try at fixing this behavior into the kernel today, but it needs testing over time.
    2. There's been a long running big w/ Google Play Movies. When streaming a movie, it will timeout every 4-5 mins and pop up a "retry" button. This was fixed by another dev who took over for me on the Motorola OMAP 4 devices. He spent the better part of today debugging and finally found a nice solution. That will be included. Thanks to @stargo on that.
    As you some of you may have noticed: I have a new job working with Linaro Mobile Group beginning 9/1/2014.

This is a HUGE change in my professional career, and I want to be 100% focused on my current duties.

This means, that I will be ending my support for the Kindle Fire devices as official CM maintainer.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be working with CM to get a replacement dev to step in and continue updates / tweaks to the device.

For more information:
    https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

Lastly, ending my support for the Kindles was a VERY difficult choice. My TODO list is long and extensive with plans for updates well into next year ... To not get around to really polishing many of these builds makes me a bit sad.

BUT, this is where YOU (the community) can step in and make a difference. Continue to push these devices onward. I wish you all well.
    Hi Guys,

I'm nearly finished debugging the KFire HD 7" CM12.0 build and (hopefully) I'll get some time to finish up the 8.9" device over the Christmas break.

It's pretty close.

For those that are interested (and daring), I've pushed all of my work up to the CyanogenMod trees and you can run test builds of your own. Use at your own risk currently.

Happy Holidays
    Reserved

KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Bluetooth tether (to say a phone for internet) doesn't seem to be working correctly
    • Accelerometer can stop working occasionally. Needs debugging.
    • Ambient light sensor needs to be re-coded as an IIO driver
    • Headphones / BT audio route testing (plugging / unplugging can cause stuck audio)
    • Fix USB OTG support in the kernel
    • Better HDMI support for more resolutions
    • No Amazon Prime Video support
    • No Dolby audio support
    • "Cast Screen" does not function correctly under Settings -> Display
    • [FIXED-2014-05-20] Audio HAL cleanup and use system/media audio-route sources
    • [FIXED-2014-05-20] More camera tweaks
    • [FIXED-2014-05-13] Hardware Decoder/Encoder support update to KK-based sources
    • [FIXED-2014-05-13] Camera could use a small update for better handling
    • [FIXED-2014-05-02] Audio low latency issues when cover is closed or 2 apps play audio at once (stuttering)
    • [FIXED-2014-04-18] VPN has issues, needs debugging
    • [FIXED-2014-04-18] Some games like Plants Vs. Zombies 2 don't work right, researching
    • [FIXED-2014-04-15] Possible other game issues, but I need more examples of games that don't run