[Q] Rooted with Siyah, wanting to install CM, what next?

Search This thread

Joheee

Aug 30, 2014
Hi all,

I really tried to learn everything about rooting and flashing and custom ROM, and I am already busy all day, but I still can't get out of all the technological abracadabra, and other existing XDA topics I didn't know if they worked for me too, it would be very awful if I brick it because I didn't understand something small. :eek:
I may seem a bit lazy, but could someone please help me in not too technological language and provide me with the correct links to install?

So I have an i9100 second hand. The battery is empty really quick and gets very hot sometimes, and I read that this could be changed by installing custom firmware, like cyanogenmod.
I already have installed Siyah. My current version is Android 4.1.2.

I read things about installing custom recovery or something, but there are no important data on my phone yet, so I assume this is not applicable for me?

Can you install GApps after installing cyanogenmod? Except Google play, Maps and Youtube I don't need/want any other applications I think.

So can anybody provide me with a (customized) step plan what to do to install the best fitting version of cyanogen mod?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi all,

I really tried to learn everything about rooting and flashing and custom ROM, and I am already busy all day, but I still can't get out of all the technological abracadabra, and other existing XDA topics I didn't know if they worked for me too, it would be very awful if I brick it because I didn't understand something small. :eek:
I may seem a bit lazy, but could someone please help me in not too technological language and provide me with the correct links to install?

So I have an i9100 second hand. The battery is empty really quick and gets very hot sometimes, and I read that this could be changed by installing custom firmware, like cyanogenmod.

I read things about installing custom recovery or something, but there are no important data on my phone yet, so I assume this is not applicable for me?

Can you install GApps after installing cyanogenmod? Except Google play, Maps and Youtube I don't need/want any other applications I think.

So can anybody provide me with a (customized) step plan what to do to install the best fitting version of cyanogen mod?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi there,
Siyah kernel already comes with custom recovery, however, it is out of date now and will not install kitkat roms. You will need to install a kitkat kernel first before installing the kitkat rom.

Yes, you can install gapps after installing cyanogenmod, have a look in the xda forums for modular gapp packages since you don't want some google bloat ware. However, the latest cyanogenmod 11 has a small system partition and will require you to install small gapp packages such as the 20140105 gapps. Search up gapps package on google and click the cyanogenmod link.

Now to install cyanogenmod (I chose cyanogenmod 11 m9 snapshot):
1. Download cyanogenmod 11 m9 snapshot .zip file (should be at cyanogenmod website)
2. Download modular gapps package, but I strongly recommend to install 20140105 gapps package by cyanogenmod
3. Download kitkat compatible kernel (I recommend downloading Pedestre's apolo kernel)
4. Put them all on your phone
Now reboot into recovery with this button combination, hold: (vol+, power, home)
5. Install .zip --> internal sd card (or sd card 0, or wherever you put the zips in) --> select kernel zip
6. Reboot your phone
7. You will notice your phone will not boot into rom, that's ok since it will automatically boot back into the new recovery
8. In the new recovery: press wipe/clear, and swipe the bar to do the factory reset and wipe caches
9. Install cyanogenmod zip
10. Install gapps zip
11. Reboot your phone
12. If your phone doesn't bootloop or crash, you're all good. Note: first boot will take a while, be patient!

Last edited:
Reactions: Joheee

Joheee

Aug 30, 2014
Hi there,
Siyah kernel already comes with custom recovery, however, it is out of date now and will not install kitkat roms. You will need to install a kitkat kernel first before installing the kitkat rom.

Yes, you can install gapps after installing cyanogenmod, have a look in the xda forums for modular gapp packages since you don't want some google bloat ware. However, the latest cyanogenmod 11 has a small system partition and will require you to install small gapp packages such as the 20140105 gapps. Search up gapps package on google and click the cyanogenmod link.

1. Download cyanogenmod 11 m9 snapshot .zip file (should be at cyanogenmod website)
2. Download modular gapps package, but I strongly recommend to install 20140105 gapps package by cyanogenmod
3. Download kitkat compatible kernel (I recommend downloading Pedestre's apolo kernel)
Now reboot into recovery with this button combination, hold: (vol+, power, home)
5. Install .zip --> internal sd card (or sd card 0, or wherever you put the zips in) --> select kernel zip
6. Reboot your phone
7. You will notice your phone will not boot into rom, that's ok since it will automatically boot back into the new recovery
8. In the new recovery: press wipe/clear, and swipe the bar to do the factory reset and wipe caches
10. Install gapps zip
11. Reboot your phone
12. If your phone doesn't bootloop or crash, you're all good. Note: first boot will take a while, be patient!

Many many thanks!
Only 2 questions; which pedestre apolo kernel do I have to download? There are a lot of version circulating it seems to me. And it doesn't matter that I already don't have a genuine kernel anymore?

And what do you mean with step 4? To me this step seems that I have to put CM, gapps and a new kernel in once (via reboot/download modus > Odin I guess?), but in later steps you say that I have to do those step by step.

Vivek_Neel

Inactive Recognized Contributor / Themer
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai
Many many thanks!
Only 2 questions; which pedestre apolo kernel do I have to download? There are a lot of version circulating it seems to me. And it doesn't matter that I already don't have a genuine kernel anymore?

And what do you mean with step 4? To me this step seems that I have to put CM, gapps and a new kernel in once (via reboot/download modus > Odin I guess?), but in later steps you say that I have to do those step by step.

Just follow This simple steps.
You are done

First download all the necessary zips(ROM,gapps, recovery) and copy them on your phone's external SD card and follow the procedure.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
Many many thanks!

The apolo kernel you need to download is v7.1 for kitkat. It doesn't matter that you won't have the genuine kernel as it won't really affect your phone except improving battery life and performance.

What I meant with step 4 is to put the files onto your phone usng your computer (using windows explorer, like how you transfer files to other USB devices) while your phone is still on the operating system. After that (the following steps), you must install them in the particular order that I explained it in using your phones recovery software.

Hope this answers your questions, gsstudios

Joheee

Aug 30, 2014
Hi, thanks for replying, but I am stuck on point 4/5

I finally found some time to work on it, so I downloaded the KitKat compatible kernel, the gapps and de CM 11m9.
They were in my download folder on the computer, and then I just copied those three .zip files to the internal memory.
Then I connected my phone to the computer with a USB cable, and I put the phone into recovery mode. But when I did that, the computer stopped to recognize the phone as an external disk, so I couldn't enter it anymore.
So what did I do wrong? (putting the files on my external SD didn't help either) And how do I install those zips, just unpack them if I solved the problem mentioned above?

K.r. Joheee

Last edited:

Muthzer the One

Nov 21, 2013
Hi, thanks for replying, but I am stuck on point 4/5

I finally found some time to work on it, so I downloaded the KitKat compatible kernel, the gapps and de CM 11m9.
They were in my download folder on the computer, and then I just copied those three .zip files to the internal memory.
Then I connected my phone to the computer with a USB cable, and I put the phone into recovery mode. But when I did that, the computer stopped to recognize the phone as an external disk, so I couldn't enter it anymore.
So what did I do wrong? (putting the files on my external SD didn't help either) And how do I install those zips, just unpack them if I solved the problem mentioned above?

K.r. Joheee

Once you put everything on your internal storage you don't need your computer anymore.

In recovery you must tap on "install zip". Navigate to your location where you put everything.
First you install the kitkat kernel.
Afterwards you go back and tap on advanced, there you have to tap "reboot recovery"
You should see another recovery now.
Now you install your custom rom using "install zip", afterwards you install the gapps package.
When you are done with installing everything it's a good idea to wipe data and dalvik cache, in case you didn't do before.

At last you simply tap reboot.
Don't be afraid if booting takes more time than usual, it'll take longer the first time you boot.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Free mobile app

Joheee

Aug 30, 2014
Once you put everything on your internal storage you don't need your computer anymore.

In recovery you must tap on "install zip". Navigate to your location where you put everything.
First you install the kitkat kernel.
Afterwards you go back and tap on advanced, there you have to tap "reboot recovery"
You should see another recovery now.
Now you install your custom rom using "install zip", afterwards you install the gapps package.
When you are done with installing everything it's a good idea to wipe data and dalvik cache, in case you didn't do before.

At last you simply tap reboot.
Don't be afraid if booting takes more time than usual, it'll take longer the first time you boot.

How long is long (for after the kitkat kernel reboot)? I have a black screen now for more than 2 hours after I hit 'reboot', and after 5 minutes I tried to put it on again with just hitting the power button for 2 seconds (I didn't read that it could take a while) but nothing changed.
It had 90% battery when I started. Because I was afraid it was running out of battery I plugged it to the power grid. My phone was and is warm, so I assume it was stil working on something.

Last edited:

Muthzer the One

Nov 21, 2013
How long is long (for after the kitkat kernel reboot)? I have a black screen now for more than 2 hours after I hit 'reboot', and after 5 minutes I tried to put it on again with just hitting the power button for 2 seconds (I didn't read that it could take a while) but nothing changed.
It had 90% battery when I started. Because I was afraid it was running out of battery I plugged it to the power grid. My phone was and is warm, so I assume it was stil working on something.

Okay sry I should have specified myself when saying it takes a while.
That's Max 5 minutes. So your phone seems to be stuck in Boot loop.
Cause for this is either you didn't wipe everything before flashing - try wiping again and reboot, or you flashed the wrong file for your phone.

I'll make it easy, assuming your phone model is gt-i9100.

Go here :

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-roms/cm11-android-4-4-3-for-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100sgh-i777/

Download cm11 and micro gapps from this site.

Afterwards download cwm kitkat compatible from here:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/general/cwm-kit-kat-compatible-t2546597

When you downloaded everything and put it onto internal storage go into recovery.

1. Wipe data and dalvik cache.
2. Install zip: cwm kitkat compatible
3. Reboot recovery in sections "advance"
4. Now you are in a new recovery again.
5. Install zip: cm11
6.install zip : micro gapps
7. Wipe data and dalvik
8. Reboot phone

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Cause for this is either you didn't wipe everything before flashing - try wiping again and reboot, or you flashed the wrong file for your phone.

Go here :

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-roms/cm11-android-4-4-3-for-galaxy-s2-gt-i9100sgh-i777/

Afterwards download this :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jf4POLvWtTRHRGbzR4bFl1UlE/edit?usp=docslist_api

When you downloaded everything and put it onto internal storage go into recovery.

7. Wipe data and dalvik
8. Reboot phone

Sec, my cwm download file is crap, I'll get another one

Edit:

I've changed the cwm kitkat link in my previous post

Last edited:

Joheee

Aug 30, 2014

Go here :

7. Wipe data and dalvik
8. Reboot phone

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Edit:

So I did the kitkat install after wiping all user data and dalvik cache (and accidentally the normal cache too).
I rebooted it via advanced > reboot recovery. It rebooted within 10 seconds.
Then I installed the zips (CM and Gapps. To be honest: I installed the gapps the first replyer to this thread mentioned: 20140105)
And I wiped all user data and dalvik cache.

Should I now do:
1: advanced > reboot recovery
or 2: reboot system now (on the first screen you see when you're in recovery)

And then it should start up until I see the screen with apps, time and those things I think?

Last edited:

Muthzer the One

Nov 21, 2013
So I did the kitkat install after wiping all user data and dalvik cache (and accidentally the normal cache too).
Then I installed the zips (CM and Gapps).

Should I now do:

And then it should start up until I see the screen with apps, time and those things I think?

Reboot system
Yes it should start now

Muthzer the One

Nov 21, 2013
Wow, thanks, it works! Thank you verrry much everyone!

This thread can be closed.

If you were successful i highly recommend to make a nandroid backup in recovery.
If you ever have problems booting your phone, you can restore this backup via recovery.
With titanium backup you can backup your apps and their data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Hi there,

6. Reboot your phone
    10. Install gapps zip
    11. Reboot your phone
    Many many thanks!

Just follow This simple steps.
    You are done

First download all the necessary zips(ROM,gapps, recovery) and copy them on your phone's external SD card and follow the procedure.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Many many thanks!

The apolo kernel you need to download is v7.1 for kitkat. It doesn't matter that you won't have the genuine kernel as it won't really affect your phone except improving battery life and performance.

What I meant with step 4 is to put the files onto your phone usng your computer (using windows explorer, like how you transfer files to other USB devices) while your phone is still on the operating system. After that (the following steps), you must install them in the particular order that I explained it in using your phones recovery software.

Hope this answers your questions, gsstudios

Go here :

7. Wipe data and dalvik
    8. Reboot phone

Go here :

Afterwards download this :
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0jf4POLvWtTRHRGbzR4bFl1UlE/edit?usp=docslist_api

7. Wipe data and dalvik
    8. Reboot phone

Edit:

Then I installed the zips (CM and Gapps).

Should I now do:

Reboot system
    Yes it should start now